Is KOHI signal really back up to strength?

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Is KOHI signal really back up to strength?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  jr_tech 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

DimensionZ
    Participant

I used to be able to get KOHI St. Helens pretty well here at the south end of Beaverton. I know they were operating at low power for awhile while they were rebuilding and/or moving their antenna. They were supposed to have finished their new antenna but I still can’t get them at all–even in the daytime I get the Eugene OPB facility more than anything. I don’t have any email or anything to get a hold of them. Does anybody here know anything?

Andy Brown
    Participant

According to the FCC database, KOHI is currently licensed for non directional 1 kW day, 0.012 kw night, and has no recent authorizations for rebuilding or moving their antenna nor any special temporary authority to operate at anything other then normal parameters.

This does not mean that repairs to their existing antenna may have forced them to operate at a lesser power or even be off the air for a single or several occurrences while undergoing repairs. Only when they must operate at less than licensed parameters for an extended period of time is it required to notify the FCC as long as it is at their licensed location. This may or may not include operating at night time parameters during the day or be off the air for short periods of time.

jr_tech
    Participant

I don’t hear them at all in Hillsboro… At one observation (4/29/15) they had a decent signal (5-8 over S-9) on my Icom 8500. All I hear today on 1600 is the OPB station at about S-6.

Contact info from FCC public file:
    https://publicfiles.fcc.gov/am-profile/kohi

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I checked 1600 this afternoon, and I heard nothing!

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I checked this morning, a bit before 9:00 AM, and I only heard weak skip signals from the Eugene OPB station and another station. I think that I heard some activity on 1600 in the afternoon about two weeks ago, but I now don’t know whether that was KOPB or KOHI. Is KOHI gone for good?

jr_tech
    Participant

Just called the station… they said that they have been low power mode since Sept. 30 for construction of a new antenna. Said the new antenna should be done in 30-45 days.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

KOHI was the first station I remember DXing, as I recall completely by accident. I was tuning around on a crappy Rat $hack SW100 and came across this very faint sounding station at the top end of the dial. Having a huge fascination with the coast at the time (I think I was maybe 10 or 11) I had come under the impression I was DXing Astoria!

Of course years later I did end up DXing Astoria when I got my first real stereo receiver (a 1980s Sony) and was pulling in KAST on 92.9. This was a couple years before the bible thumpers on 92.7 started jamming it. I think I also discovered KXXO kind of around that same time.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Then, likely the station I heard under KOPB was KOHI and not a skywave signal.

Borderblaster
    Participant

jr_tech
    Participant

Alexa, tune in KOHI… works fine.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.