Is Daystar's KGWZ lease expiring?

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Is Daystar's KGWZ lease expiring?

Tagged: , , , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    nosignalallnoise
    Participant

46 had only a weather map before the bible wavers got it. It could just be that TVGEN is stuck in its way and never changed the listing, like how I just called the TV guide site “TVGEN”. Did it list Day$tar programming before?

washnotore
    Participant

Daystar is now broadcasting on KPXG LP. KGWZ LP is still showing Daystar. But for how much more longer? So for the time being Daystar is dual casting.

Jbpdx
    Participant

I see they deactivated the subchannels on 42.

Jbpdx
    Participant

Any movement on this? We don’t need more duplicate programming in PDX.

msndrspdx
    Participant

Just as a point of interest: I was doing a bit of YouTube surfing this morning, and I came across a YT contributor called egrabow440. He posted a digital TV bandscan for the NYC area, including most of the subchannels, made in 2015. He also has similiar videos for Chattanooga, TN; DC/Baltimore; Philadelphia, PA; Louisville, Ky; Fort Wayne, IN; Orlando, FL; Jacksonville, FL (all made in 2015); and Tampa Bay, FL (2014). These videos feature newscasts, promos, and more. Streams not seen in Portland on cable, such as the services on TBN and Ion stations, are seen, along with some not yet seen here, such as Bounce, Heroes & Icons, Buzzer, and Heartland. There’s even a glimpse of WeatherNation on one. A couple of these markets have 3 Angels (3ABN) stations, and there’s a look at each service on those, ncluding the three audio channels (one in Spanish) that most 3AB stations air.

Watch them, and wonder how many will survive the FCC’srepacking effort, if it goes as planned. Might also be a way to wonder who gets space on KGWZ, once Daystar hands it back over to KGW (wonder when that’ll be?). Someone should make a TV bandscan video for PDX and post it to YouTube (and here, too, of course).

Jbpdx
    Participant

Now that GetTV is trending away from being an all movies all the time network, it would be a good time to bring in Movies! network to a PDX subchannel.

msndrspdx
    Participant

Just how long is Daystar’s KGWZ lease supposed to last, anyway? They’re taking it slow with the transition to Ch. 42, aren’t they? The folks at KGW must be getting impatient – I’m sure they have plans for KGWZ, once Daystar gets out of the way. We know they’ve been there for three years at least.

Jbpdx
    Participant

Probably a 12-month contract. Who knows when it renewed. I would think Tegna/KGW could go ahead and activate 46.2 if they wanted to.

washnotore
    Participant

Just a quick note about Tegna in Seattle. Besides moving into new digs in SODO district. KING TV hasn’t added any new diginets lately. The only diginet KING carries is Justice Network (Along with KGW).

KING sister station KONG just recently shut down it’s dot 2 channel. Which was duplicating is main channel. Just this month Tegna in Sacramento KXTV. Added Heroes and Icons to it’s dot 3 channel

It interesting that KGW is still carrying Estrella Spanish TV. Where as KING is not. I’ve read somewhere that Estrella owner Liberman Broadcasting. Is looking for a full power station in the Seattle market.

Jbpdx
    Participant

There’s also still a potential opening for another diginet on KPDX 49, which hasn’t activated 49.3 yet.

mwdxer1
    Participant

KATU was going to add a 2.4, but decided not to as Get TV went with KOIN. According to their engineer, KATU ordered the equipment, so they probably can add a 2.4 down the road. That is possible too.

Jbpdx
    Participant

KGWZ could add WeatherNation, KPDX 49.3 could add Movies! and we’d be pretty much saturated, at least for me.

mwdxer1
    Participant

One other thing, with the technology now, a station can add one HD and 3 subs now without losing a lot of pq. That is why KATU was looking at a 2.4. If that is the case, then any station should be able to add an extra sub, that will give more room in markets like Portland.

washnotore
    Participant

Heartland Media parent to KEZI in Eugene. Has a sister station WKTV in Utica, NY. That is running 3 high def streams and one sd stream. Thanks to advances in next generation streaming equipment.

washnotore
    Participant

Daystar O&O KWDK in Tacoma has been on DTV RF 42 for several years, and it has mapped to virtual 42 until recently, the new virtual ID being its “old” analog channel tag of channel 56.

The reason for the virtual channel switch, is not to conflict with virtual 42. Which is now assigned to KPXG LP here in Portland.

Daystar is also making sure all there O&O in Seattle, Portland and Spokane. Are broadcasting in 1080i. After years being stuck at a rather low-quality 480i SD. Which still resides on KGWZ LP.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.