Is Daystar's KGWZ lease expiring?

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Is Daystar's KGWZ lease expiring?

Tagged: , , , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Jbpdx
    Participant

With the operators of Daystar now owning KPXG-LD 42, will they shift programming from KGWZ 46 when their lease expires? Anyone know when the lease is up? Seems odd if Daystar would choose to lease a station instead of using their own, especially since KPXG 42 is a duplicate of KPXG 22/Ion. KGWZ could be used for a bunch of diginets not carried in Portland (Movies!, AccuWeather, Bounce etc.)

washnotore
    Participant

I noticed that KPXG-LD is currently off the air. With a some pending paperwork before the FCC. Maybe will see Daystar move from KGWZ-LD to KPXG-LD. With a new call sign before to long.

msndrspdx
    Participant

I asked a question about tgus over on the KOIN threads few days ago. Since we are getting close to the end of the month, I’m presuming that the lease runs out on March 1st.

I agree, this means new call letters for Ch. 5 (virtual 22 until tonight). I’d assume a new virtual channel is likely in the works. Do they move to 5 or somewhere else? That might be interesting. Wonder what new calls they’ll get? Ideas in my head include KDAY, KDPX, and KDOR (the latter would stand for Daystar Oregon). Most of the Daystar Stations carry just that and nothing else, no sub channels.

The next question is, what does KGW do with KGWZ? Ch. 22 carries Telemundo. Does the Z pick it up? AccuWeather or WeatherNation would be good picks. Heartland (formerly TNN/Heartland) might be a contender. Buzzer might be one , too; they just got a station in Boise earlier this week. Movies could be a contender as well. And the next question might be, how many get picked up by Comcast? Comcast, BTW, runs Daystar off the network on Ch. 233, rather than using KGWZ. Once Daystar moves, would they use Ch. 5 (or whatever it becomes) as the source?

Could be an interesting weekend. RabbitEars, by the way, has not reported any changes at KGWZ or Ch. 5 yet.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

“The next question is, what does KGW do with KGWZ? Ch. 22 carries Telemundo. Does the Z pick it up? AccuWeather or WeatherNation would be good picks. Heartland (formerly TNN/Heartland) might be a contender.”

I don’t remember exactly what its original intent was. I think it might have been some podunk UHF station that KGW bought out to turn into an independent thing a la KONG but never got farther than running a weather map, then later brokered evangelical shit that nobody watches.

KGW = yo know the story
    KGWZ = KGW’s auxillary sation

I have no idea why they chose “Z”. There must be some secret meaning behind it. Inquire at your nearest Masonic center.

Maybe with any luck they’ll do something constructive with it again like oh I dunnow, weather? Heh, yeah, that’ll be the day. And monkeys might fly out of my butt.

msndrspdx
    Participant

KGWZ was originally based in Bebd and was originally used as a translator fir JGW in Cebtral Oregon. Then they moved it to Portland.

By the way, what does KGWZ have on the air right now? I’m assuming that it’s not showing Daystar right now. Test patterns or an ID slide, I suppose. Might be worth monitoring it thru the weekend.

msndrspdx
    Participant

Bend.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

“By the way, what does KGWZ have on the air right now? I’m assuming that it’s not showing Daystar right now. Test patterns or an ID slide, I suppose.”

You’re assuming wrong, it’s running the brokered religious shit like always. Right now it’s two talking heads (a man and a woman) sitting on a sofa going on at considerable length about collard greens. And people actually watch this garbage?

Really?

Really?

EDIT: Now it’s some woman named “Marilyn” who looks like she’s probably in her 100s, waving around a paperback called “Dr. Bob’s Balancing FEMALE Hormones” (caps not mine).

washnotore
    Participant

Found the old link on KGW Website.

http://legacy.kgw.com/story/news/local/2014/07/25/12456086/

Daystar started OTA broadcasting on KGWZ-LP 46.1 on February 4, 2013. So yes it been three years now. Since Daystar has been on KGWZ. Maybe a little longer on Comcast.

Also I read somewhere that KGWZ-LD is being managed/broker by Rural Oregon Wireless Television (ROWT). Since the FCC license is held by TEGNA Inc.

RF channel 46 was KGW second (digital) channel during the DTV transition.

msndrspdx
    Participant

Nice find, Wash. I was wondering about that. Craig should add that Infirmation to his Histirucal fake. And you are right, Ch. 46 was indeed KGW’s digital channel during the DTV transition a few years back.

That Rural Oregon bit is news to me. That’s not mentioned in the RabbitEars ownership profile. Does that mean RO is still responsible for programming KGWZ after Daystar leaves (which I presume will happen next week), not Tegna? And if so, what does RO do next? Hmm…

Jbpdx
    Participant

42.1-.3 off the air. Daystar still on KGWZ 46.1

msndrspdx
    Participant

Last night, I came across what may be an interesting development. Just for grins, I checked the Titan TV web page and noticed it was listing Daystar as running on 42.1. I then went to RabbitEars and noticed that KPXG-LD, formerly on virtual 22 / actual Ch. 5, had moved to actual 42 / virtual 42. RabbitEars currently lists both KGWZ and KPXG-LD (the latter, apparently, has not yet filed for a name change) as carrying Daystar programs. This looks like a transitional thing to me. Somebody please do a rescan and check this out. I’m surprised that Daystar elected to give up virtual Ch. 5. I would have kept it if the decision were mine.

semoochie
    Participant

Low VHF is terrible for DTV and unless you have an all channel antenna, you might not be able to receive it. I know I can’t. Thanks for the heads up. Edit: There’s nothing about this in the FCC database!

jr_tech
    Participant

Just did a scan:

42 (real ota and virtual) is still off the air, but *was* transmitting Ion programming before it was sold.
    46 (real ota and virtual) is still transmitting Daystar programming.
    22 (real ota and virtual) is still transmitting ion, Ion-life, Shop, Qvc, HSN, and TLMD.
    5 (real and 32 virtual) is very weak today but *seems* to be transmitting KCRW programming as always.

Jbpdx
    Participant

Just noticed that Daystar bought QVC shopping channel, which is carried on KPXG 22.5. We might see that move to their newly owned channel 42, which would free up a spot on 22 for another diginet.

Jbpdx
    Participant

TV Guide is showing KGWZ 46.1 as Weather Radar in its listings. So the Daystar move to 42 is probably imminent.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.