Interesting story on the Buddy Holly plane crash.

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Interesting story on the Buddy Holly plane crash.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Deane Johnson
    Participant

The crash investigation is likely to be reopened as the original finding as to cause is being questioned.

http://www.fox42kptm.com/story/28270101/buddy-holly-plane-crash-may-be-re-examined

I have held a particular interest in the events of that night as I had spent the evening before with the group.

paulwalker
    Participant

While this airplane crash was tragic, is has been magnified over the years, especially since Mcleans “American Pie”.

However, I would offer that this was not “the day music died”. Music continued, and in great form with The Beatles, and all that followed.

Air transportation was still a form of travel mainly for the rich, in the 50’s. Regulations, as noted in Deane’s link, were not in place.

However, I respect the fact that many historians look at this event as important. The facts are a little more realistic, and it underscores how history changes due to events, but events only skew it at the end of the day.

Chico
    Participant

Mr. Johnson- what were the details of the night before? For better or worse, you touched history. Love to know more.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

Chico, nothing special. I worked a Friday night “teen hop” every week. I usually MC’d the events. We viewed it more as necessary work than anything.

These groups were inexpensive and regularly made tours for starvation wages. I think this group cost $600 for all of them that night.

It was very different than the travelling entertainment tours you see today. It was very basic and everybody was just doing there thing.

Chico
    Participant

Sounds like you provided what was clearly an important entertainment for a hungry audience. Good on ya!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.