Indiana Governer wrong???

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

Too bad, F&B, that you don’t understand the separation of church and state. You can’t run a business that is available to the public and refuse service based on your personal religious beliefs. You can close on Sunday and Christmas, but when the doors are open, you can not limit services because of how the customer exercises their own rights. It’s clear to me that you do not have the slightest idea about what you are talking about but are only taking a stance based on what the bible thumpers are saying. They have no clue, either. It’s for this very reason that we have anti discrimination laws. If you don’t like them, you are free to work to change them, but as of now that’s the law and just because you are of some religion doesn’t give you a pass on how you operate a business.

Amus
    Participant

This is just the death throes for the “Bigots for Jesus” crowd.

They’ve already lost, they just don’t know it yet.

Amus
    Participant

‘If You Love Covered Bridges And Discriminating, Book Your Trip To Indiana Today’

http://iaf.tv/2015/03/27/indiana-is-a-great-place-to-be-a-bigot/

NoParty
    Participant

Religion is a choice, homosexuality isn’t. Case closed.

+1 Brian!!

Amus
    Participant

Indianapolis Mayor Greg Ballard to State Legislature;

“Repeal law, protect LGBT from discrimination”
    “Indianapolis will not be defined by this.
    Indianapolis WILL NOT be defined by this!
    Indianapolis welcomes EVERYBODY.”

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2015/03/30/ballard-council-address-rfra-today/70674176/

It will be interesting to see if there is any fallout during the NCAA Final Four in Indianapolis this weekend.

Vitalogy
    Participant

One Restaurant Already Celebrated ‘Religious Liberty’ By Turning Away Gays.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2015/03/28/3640221/indiana-business-owner-admits-discriminating-lgbt-people/

An Indiana business owner went on a local radio station and said that he had discriminated against gay or lesbian couples even before Gov. Mike Pence (R) signed a law on Thursday protecting business owners who decide to discriminate for “religious liberty” reasons. He then defended the practice and suggested he would do it again.

The business owner, who would not give his name or the name of his business, said he had told some LGBT “people” that equipment was broken in his restaurant and he couldn’t serve them even though it wasn’t and other people were already eating at the tables. “So, yes, I have discriminated,” he told RadioNOW 100.9 hosts. The hosts were surprised the owner said he was okay with discriminating.

“Well, I feel okay with it because it’s my place of business, I pay the rent, I’ve built it with all my money and my doing. It’s my place; I can do whatever I want with it,” he said. “They can have their lifestyle and do their own thing in their own place or with people that want to be with them.”

Amus
    Participant

Indiana fans of Wilco are out of luck for the time being.

“Hope to get back to the Hoosier State someday soon, when this odious measure is repealed,” the band wrote.

http://entertainment.suntimes.com/entertainment-news/wilco-cancels-indiana-show-wake-religious-objections-law/

Vitalogy
    Participant

The backlash is building.

http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/backlash-indiana-law-shows-challenge-faced-gop-n332801

The roiling debate over Indiana’s new religious freedom law illustrates an increasing challenge for the Republican Party, which finds itself caught between growing national support for gay rights and the large bloc of deeply religious GOP voters wary of policy changes like same-sex marriage.

Many Republicans have conceded that national acceptance of gay marriage is inevitable, with court rulings across the country striking down same-sex marriage bans. But social conservatives say that the next front in their fight should be to protect what they believe is religious freedom, arguing that Christians or people of other faiths who oppose same-sex unions should not be required to take actions that could be seen as condoning gay marriage.

Indiana social conservatives have been pushing for the adoption of a specific provision to defend religious freedom, and Gov. Mike Pence, a Republican, signed one into law last week. But the resulting national backlash – including from big business organizations – showed that the religious freedom argument may no longer be an easy way for Republicans to balance the views of gay rights backers and Christian conservatives.

Entertainers and actors have blasted the state over the law. So have a number of liberal politicians, most notably Hillary Clinton.

But perhaps most significantly to both Pence and the Republican Party, which seeks to cast itself as very-pro-business, a number of major companies have attacked the law, including Apple CEO Tim Cook.

“We have never seen reactions like this, we never expected that,” said David Long, a Republican leader in the Indiana State Senate, which overwhelmingly approved the provision.

Pence and other Indiana Republicans have suggested the law was not intended to target people who are gay. But some key supporters of the provision have been explicit about its aims.

“Christian businesses and individuals deserve protection from those who support homosexual marriages and those who support government recognition and approval of gender identity (men who dress as women),” reads a message praising the law on the website of the Indiana group Advance America, whose executive director attended the bill-signing Pence hosted on Thursday at the governor’s office.

Advance America writes that the law is important because “Christian bakers, florists and photographers should not be punished for refusing to participate in a homosexual marriage!,” “A Christian business should not be punished for refusing to allow a man to use the women’s restroom,” and “A church should not be punished because they refuse to let the church be used for a homosexual wedding.”

Brianl
    Participant

Here’s what Pence has had to offer on LGBT rights in the past. He has emphatically stated that discrimination is wrong.

“I abhor discrimination,” Pence said. “I believe in my heart of hearts that no one should be harassed or mistreated because of who they are, who they love, or what they believe.”, he was quoted as saying this week.

ORLY?

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/indiana-governor-pence-says-he-abhors-115240130176.html

Under “Strengthening the American Family,” the “Pence Agenda” enumerates positions that flow from the belief that “the traditional two parent family is the nucleus of our civilization.”

One of those positions is opposing efforts to end discrimination against gays and lesbians.

“Congress should oppose any effort to recognize homosexual’s [sic] as a ‘discreet and insular minority’ entitled to the protection of anti-discrimination laws similar to those extended to women and ethnic minorities,” the Pence agenda states.

“Congress should oppose any effort to put gay and lesbian relationships on an equal legal status with heterosexual marriage,” the site continues.

Once elected to Congress, Pence vocally opposed the repeal of the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” U.S. military policy. (Watch his emphatic House floor speech on the matter below). Though Pence said in 2010 that the policy was a compromise that should be preserved, in 2000 he urged its repeal as being too welcoming of gays, whom he said should not be allowed to serve at all, even if closeted.

“Homosexuality is incompatible with military service because the presence of homosexuals in the ranks weakens unit cohesion,” Pence’s old congressional campaign site states.

Broadway
    Participant

>>If a gay baker doesn’t want to put a picture of Jesus on my cake
    Watch out gay bakers!
    >>Religion is a choice, homosexuality isn’t
    Beg to differ…you can be gay one day and feel different the next…and just proclaim it all…doesn’t pass the muster with me as protected class…imho…

Amus
    Participant

missing_kskd
    Participant

So you can’t see the gay?

And that makes it somehow a choice?

Do you love your mother? Do you love Jesus?

Prove it.

Isn’t it time we take this at face value? People don’t just choose this stuff. The negatives far outweigh anything else. The motivations just aren’t there.

We take religion at face value. And it’s a protected thing too.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Aren’t the so-called christians wanting to be a protected class too? Religion is a choice, being gay is not. It’s like if christians were wanting to deny service to people who have down syndrome.

NoParty
    Participant

I’m only going to sell equipment to companies that have CEO’s with green eyes and red hair!

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.