Indiana Governer wrong???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    NoParty
    Participant

Looks like the Governor of Indiana wants to make it okay to discriminate against homosexuals. I wonder how the states economy is going to fair after this?? Why can’t we sign bills to discriminate against Religion?

I bet there will be some backlash…

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/25/politics/mike-pence-religious-freedom-bill-gay-rights/index.html

jerry1949
    Spectator

Some people rightly see a homosexual union as very immoral and don’t want to put their stamp of approval on it or participate in the process. That’s freedom of religion.

You’ve already made or attempted to make bills that discriminate against religion, such as forcing religious institutions to fund contraception and abortion.

duxrule
    Participant

This bill won’t stand constitutional muster. Pence is insane. Even the TeaBaggers didn’t want him around, so they sent him back to Indiana.

Vitalogy
    Participant

What if my religious beliefs were that I thought inter racial marriage was immoral?

Does the Muslim taxi driver have the right to refuse you a ride because you are at a bar?

Does a realtor have the right to refuse an offer on a house because the buyers are gay?

This isn’t religious freedom. It’s blatent discrimination IN THE NAME OF religion.

So much hate from the religious right wing.

Vitalogy
    Participant

And by the way, I view F&B as one of the most immoral people here. Gays have nothing in him.

jerry1949
    Spectator

It’s a different situation when one is being hired to be a part of the process. Some lawmakers are not so obtuse as to see the distinction. I expect some day there will be a remedy in Oregon and Washington too. Until then, they’ll ruin every Christian who gets in their way.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Why do Christians need special exemptions for their bigoted beliefs?

NoParty
    Participant

UF&UB, my question to you is don’t people that have different view as you get a say? Is it always YOUR way or the highway? I don’t understand the hatred you extremist funDUH”MENTAL”ists have for everyone that doesn’t think YOUR way?

I wonder how you’d feel if some POS gay/homosexual/lesbian/transgender organization came up with a bill to discriminate against obtuse Christians….. And it passed? That would suck huh?

jerry1949
    Spectator

I’m a Catholic. I’m not a fundamentalist.

If a gay baker doesn’t want to put a picture of Jesus on my cake, I’ll go somewhere else and I won’t sue him.

duxrule
    Participant

You slimy Papists aren’t welcome in MY store, either.

Brianl
    Participant

I guarantee you this – this will be sent all the way up the ladder to the SCOTUS. And, much like Prop 8 in California, it will be shot down.

That pesky 14th Amendment wins again!

Part of “Freedom OF Religion” is also “Freedom FROM Religion”. The separation of Church and State. And unless Indiana wants to waive business licenses (which, as a huge source of income, I highly doubt), this will turn into another Jim Crow law that, just like Jim Crow laws, will be shot down by the Supreme Court.

F&B – your whole “discrimination against religion” argument is full of shit, and getting REALLY old. Religion is a choice, homosexuality isn’t. Case closed.

duxrule
    Participant

That’s just the deal, Brian, is that these Talibaptists like Jer actually think that there is NO “freedom from religion,” and that’s where shitty legislation like ths comes from. Unfortunately, there are still too many judges that agree with them, so millions have to be spent grinding these case through the legal system.

Brianl
    Participant

I know, Dux.

Looking at it from a purely financial standpoint, it’s a giant waste of our tax dollars. Money that is better spent elsewhere. Wouldn’t conservatives consider that, these “fiscal accountability” people?

Hmm.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Laws like this have unintended consequences. Here are a few examples of how this law could be applied.

Financial advisor refuses to help gay couple with their 401K.

CPA refuses to file taxes for a gay couple.

Dry cleaner refuses to do laundry for gay couple.

Gas station attendent refuses to pump gas for gay couple.

Pharmacist refuses to fill prescription for gay couple.

Driver of fire truck refuses to answer call at a home of a gay couple.

The list goes on and on.

And, what if my religion thinks inter-racial marriages are immoral? Would I have a right to refuse service to inter-racial couples?

A stupid law by stupid people for stupid people.

jerry1949
    Spectator

Once again, it’s not about refusing to sell merchandise or provide a service. It’s about being forced to cooperate in what the vendor believes would compromise his own religious practice.

The poor florist who the gay activists are out to destroy did not refuse to sell flowers to a gay couple. She refused to cooperate with the marriage process.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.