IHeart Radio Switches San Francisco Station to All 80s

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio IHeart Radio Switches San Francisco Station to All 80s

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    semoochie
    Participant

They’re using the “IHeart 80s” branding. I was wondering if they would change their other Classic Hits to All 80s, particularly KLTH. I don’t really think it will happen but thought I’d mention it anyway.

fieldstrength
    Participant

This is the first time iHeart has placed one of it’s existing iHeart Radio channels on a full-power broadcast signal, and they’ve done it in a major market. I’m really concerned that this is a sign of the direction that iHeart is taking to slash costs even further.

I imagine that they would really like to just have a single “feed” for each format, and just push that to their FM stations, all with iHeart branding. Every market would have an “iHeart Hits”, “iHeart Country”, “iHeart Classic Hits”, etc. with the only local content being the spot breaks they can sell. No more local personalities (which are already getting scarce), no local connection, and not even local branding. Just imagine the cost savings!

This format change in SF is a horrible sign of what’s likely to come.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Pre bankruptcy move. The real news is not what they did as a means going forward, it’s what they get to slash as part of the process.

It’s almost time for a drumroll.

Cue the bugler. Taps is near.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Andy’s right. I haven’t been posting what’s been going in the past year or so with iHeart via All Access because everything is so drawn out. Been waiting to post the Crushing report which is on the way.

W7PAT
    Participant

I see no mention of a particular station.

jr_tech
    Participant
    jr_tech
    Participant

My previous post disappeared, but it looks to be KOSF, a class “B” station on 103.7:
    http://80sradio.iheart.com/

Not doing too bad, ratings wise, as “Classic Hits”:
    http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb009

e_dawg
    Participant

Does anybody remembers the old Mix 107.5? The 80s and more station? May 2000 to October 2006? It’s was great at first, but it got burned out near the end. How will an all 80s stations work again?

semoochie
    Participant

As was true with the original Oldies stations, the audience was too young and fickle, causing the music to burn out quickly. Around the late 1980s, the audience had matured and stations like Kisn-FM got nearly 20 years out of the format. In their statement, the San Francisco station seemed to be saying that this was the final evolution of Classic Hits because after the 80s, there weren’t enough compatible songs to make up a mainstream format.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Sorry, not the whole story. Before you go patting KKSN FM on the back, it’s important to remember that the late 1980’s was a total disaster for the music industry. Grunge was still in its infancy in the Northwest and noise rock was failing to really grab hold elsewhere. The Reagan administration had pushed broadcast reforms through and the ownership limits got a bump, both nationwide as well as in market. Also, KKSN FM arrived on 97.1 where KCNR had been a hit playing station like forever. It wasn’t much of a change as I recall. Their endurance was largely credited to maintaining format on a long time and well known hit radio station. It was also the first time a lot of people yawned at the attempt to recoup the energy of the original KISN which KKSN AM had already failed to do in a big way.

Also, “the final evolution of classic hits” sounds like their already writing their own obituary. Another pre bankruptcy move, no doubt, as they don’t really care whether this works to any great degree and I’m sure the root of all this is about cutting costs, nothing more.

semoochie
    Participant

I mentioned Kisn-FM as a local station but the same thing was happening everywhere. Before the late 80s, stations would go to the format, have brief success and then a dwindling audience would force them to change format. Starting around 1987, Oldies became a viable, longterm, mainstream format. Did I read you right? Did you say that there wasn’t much musical difference between KCNR and Kisn-FM? KCNR was what was left over of the Top 40 format and continued to report to the trades as such but was current leaning at least. Kisn was 50s & 60s Oldies. Now, to be fair, KCNR changed to KKLI, which was a pretty Soft AC, but certainly not Oldies.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.