iHeart Radio expected to go bankrupt

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio iHeart Radio expected to go bankrupt

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

Spin on, but “revenue” and “profit” figures don’t seem to be working and they shouldn’t be when the debt load is so astronomically high. You can focus on the high notes, few as they are, but the industry has suffered.

“Dominates” means squat when the industry is in dire straits.

Don’t be pointing fingers at the “music industry” as a cause, either. The music industry suffered because of broadcast failure, not the other way around. Music and radio haven’t been on the same page since the 80’s.

“huddling around the Atwater”

Bullshit, dude. Attacking me doesn’t help your droid case, in fact it only underscores broadcast failures to meet and greet the net (they were almost a full decade late to embrace the internet). You can keep drinking the cool aid and regurgitating all those iHeart press releases all you want. It doesn’t change the facts. Just ask all those folks that used to be gainfully employed. Just ask all those listeners that have left (not the kids, the adults). Then ask the kids why they don’t even tune in now or ever.

A recent study found traditional radio has failed to engage with Generation Z — people born after 1995 — and that its influence and relevance will continue to be subsumed by digital services unless it upgrades. Key points made in the study include:

*Generation Z, which is projected to account for 40% of all consumers in the U.S. by 2020, shows little interest in traditional media, including radio, having grown up in an on-demand digital environment;

*AM/FM radio is in the midst of a massive drop-off as a music-discovery tool by younger generations, with self-reported listening to AM/FM radio among teens aged 13 and up declining by almost 50 percentage points between 2005 and 2016. Music discovery as a whole is moving away from AM/FM radio and toward YouTube, Spotify and Pandora, especially among younger listeners, with 19% of a 2017 study of surveyed listeners citing it as a source for keeping up-to-date with music — down from 28% the previous year. Among 12-24 year olds who find music discovery important, AM/FM radio (50%) becomes even less influential, trailing YouTube (80%), Spotify (59%), and Pandora (53%).

Traditional Radio Faces a Grim Future, New Study Says

The real facts as consumed by real people tell a story of how the relaxation of ownership limits destroyed diversity, uniqueness of service, entertainment value and employment opportunities. Instead of addressing that you throw a bunch of goody goody two shoes crap at us. No thanks. Break out of your bubble and breathe some non corporate air. You aren’t reflecting reality.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

Do admit iHeartMedia Inc. Cl A stock is an OTC ‘dollar stock’. $1.20 -$1.25 with 20,844 shares traded today (heavy traffic). But, this is in line with the other big four radio corpses and not much out of line with S&P for the past year.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

And now we meet in an abandoned studio
    We hear the playback and it seems so long ago
    And you remember
    the jingles used to go

Oh-a oh
    You were the first one
    Oh-a oh
    You were the last one

In my mind and in my car
    We can’t rewind we’ve gone too far
    Pictures came and broke your heart
    Put the blame on VTR

Radio will still be around long after television disappears into the ether. Because it works.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Before getting caught up in your cleverness over posting Buggles lyrics in this thread, remember the irony contained in that song. The phrase “you are a radio star” in that song’s content means, “you are has-been.”

I have to agree with Andy; the death spiral is largely self-imposed.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

I Did? O-Kaayy. If there is irony in “Video Killed the Radio Star” (1980), perception is self imposed.

I was at Kaye-Smith when it was purchased by Metromedia.
    I was at Continental when it was purchased by Emmis.
    I was at Cox when it was purchased by Clear Channel.
    I was smart so I got out of radio.
    I was st Kelly when it was purchased by Tribune.
    I was at Fisher when it was purchased by Sinclair.
    I was smart so I got into cellular.

I agree with Mr. Brown on most aspects of his argument. But, to focus on iHeart as the cause of radio.v3 demise seems misguided. Considering what’s out there on the medium and very high frequency air waves, iHeart does the best job.

Docster
    Participant
    radiodork
    Spectator

Iheart bankruptcy.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Correct, that is the topic of this thread.

Things could be worse. Be thankful you don’t have to listen to the CBC.

I’d happily take CBC over 99% of what’s available locally (or 100% of what IFartRadio barfs out).

I still think IHeart is the best American radio company and network of all time.

But, to focus on IHeart as the cause of radio’s demise seems misguided. Considering what’s out there on the medium and very high frequency air waves, IHeart does the best job.

It’s not nice to OD on shrooms if you’re not going to share.

You can keep drinking the cool aid and regurgitating all those iHeart press releases all you want. It doesn’t change the facts. Just ask all those folks that used to be gainfully employed. Just ask all those listeners that have left (not the kids, the adults). Then ask the kids why they don’t even tune in now or ever.

Five bucks says cbaravelli is an IFart insider or moonlighting employee who won’t admit to it here.

semoochie
    Participant

If you had the highest revenue in the industry, would you change?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.