Icon David Bowie dies

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    paulwalker
    Participant

at age 69 from cancer.

Andy Brown
    Participant

R.I.P.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Wow! David Bowie was a huge star back in the 70s when I was a DJ.
    RIP’

Patrick

radiodork
    Spectator

WOW total shocker! Bowie is one of those singers that i thought would live forever (wishful thinking on my part) RIP David Bowie. Love David Bowie!
    My favorite david Bowie songs are “Heroes,” “Ziggy stardust” and “Rebel Rebel”.

Oh i almost forgot, Bowie also did some cool stuff with Trent Reznor(From Nine inch nails) back in the mid 90’s. One thing I loved about Bowie is that he was always re-inventing himself, every album he did sounded completely different from his last. His sound continued to evolve and change. He never really fell into a category per se.

Dxer1969
    Participant

Oh, hell! Weird! Why? Cuz today was the day I thought I would die. Didn’t though. But, Bowie. He started out right when I truly started getting into rock music. Space Oddity for me was the bomb! Came about the time as that 2001 Space Odessey Song. What was it? Also Sprach Zarathursta or something? Just winging it now. Bowie was the bomb! Always did like him. Damn! Natalie Cole. And now, David Bowie. Artists that I truly enjoyed in my younger years. Sad to hear that they have passed. So many great songs. I can’t even post them all.

Amus
    Participant

No retrospective would be complete without one of his more legendary works;

radiodork
    Spectator

Iris is doing a nice tribute to Bowie on kgon. They are playing Bowie music and sharing memories.

paulwalker
    Participant

Some personal thoughts…

My younger brother was actually WAY more into Bowie than I was as a teen, but I respected his obsession and actually made me explore a little deeper. “Space Oddity” was genius, and though it first was recorded in ’69, it didn’t become a top40 hit until ’73. I also loved “Changes”, but it surprisingly never charted in the top40. Before anyone gets too mad, I know Bowie is not just known for being a top40 artist…got it!

“Fame” and “Golden Years” were both commercial successful singles, and the former was especially new-sounding in the summer of ’75, with John Lennon backing David up and co-writer.

The 80’s of course brought David Bowie 2.0, or perhaps 3.0…To be honest, didn’t care for most of his stuff during the decade, but still think “China Girl” and “Modern Love” were decent. “Under Pressure” will remain a classic for decades. “Let’s Dance”, one of his biggest hits was OK, but it has been so over-played I can’t listen to it today.

David is sometimes not remembered as an actor, but he was a fine one. Both on Broadway and film. Entered the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in ’96.

What a star, and a big loss. Will we ever see the likes of him again in our lifetimes? My bet is no.

Dxer1969
    Participant

You know,I liked David Bowie’s more obscure stuff. But did like the 84 hit Blue Jean. Ziggy Stardust. Jean Jeanie. Young Americans. TVC 15. Oh hell, The list can go on forever. But if you were to ask me what my favorite Bowie song was? Golgen Years. Why? Just did. Loved the song from the get go! Still love it now! Now the 87 album? His last true pop album? Never stood the test of time. Had 2 Top 40 hits off of it. But even I cannot recall either hit. Weird!

Borderblaster
    Participant

ruined music, making it mean spirited, pretentious and ugly

Alfredo_T
    Participant

KNRK ran a Bowie tribute roughly around 10:00 PM yesterday.

radiodork
    Spectator

Yeah knrk has been playing a lot of cool Bowie songs including ” I’m afraid of Americans” with Trent Reznor, one of my faves.

Dxer1969
    Participant

This is not America with the Pat Methany Group was another great song. Never hear that one anymore. A shame if ya ask me.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.