I need a little help with…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Chris_Taylor
    Participant

…All my dad’s VHS, cassettes and reel to reel tapes.

I’ve been looking online but I thought I would turn you loose on helping me the find the best way for disposal or recycling. Looking for names or companies.

Thanks.

edselehr
    Participant

Find a reuse, if possible:

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Well that was encouraging.

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

The library might have some ideas.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Thanks, Jeffrey.

Steve Naganuma
    Participant
    nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Chris_Taylor–

Check your “christaylortunes” E-mail tomorrow.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Are the tapes still usable or playable? I use these formats from time to time.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Alfredo-

I believe they are. Particularly the cassettes. But I do have plenty of 7 and 10.5 inch reels filled with tape and the audio that’s on it – is all related to the Open Door radio show my dad hosted and produced for nearly 22 years. (1970-1991)

Lots of interviews, with mainly regular folks but a few well known people back in the day.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I can play the 7″ reels, but not the 10.5″ reels. It would be a shame for these tapes to be destroyed, rather than preserved, since it sounds as though they are an audio time capsule. After COVID-19 winds down, I would be happy to take some of the media off your hands.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Alfred-

Lets keep in touch. Some of the fully produced shows are masters and one of the former engineers of the program has asked to have them. His hopes, one day, is to volunteer to the Oregon Historical Society and eventually digitize those shows.

BTW – The only way I will be able to store these in the meantime is in my detached garage. Probably not the best place but its really the only place I can hold them until we can connect. Let me know if you have other ideas about storage of these tapes.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Definitely not the best place if you ever want to recover the audio.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Andy – I agree…but I got space issues as it is. The tapes and cassettes have been in my dad’s basement workshop room for nearly 20 years…better…and I’ve been able to digitize some of the cassettes, which seem to hold up better over time.

Anyway-I have some leads.

lastday
    Participant

A friend had some vinyl records stored in his attic for many years. The attic has a thermostatically controlled exhaust fan to help keep it at least a little coolish in the summer. Nevertheless when he dug them out a few months ago, the records were all ruined. Cracks, warps, even what looked like the start of melting. A little like taffy being stretched. They were a total loss. Tapes are no different. Storage environment control is vital.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Couldn’t agree more, LastDay. The sheer volume of not just his radio program days, but all the family stuff he recorded – its overwhelming.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.