How about that infrastructure bill?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    lastday
    Participant

Test test. Anyone here?

I’m all for spending/investing on infrastructure. That absolutely includes broadband. But this bill is loaded with questionable projects. When Republicans say they’ll go for something like $685B rather than $2T I think they have a valid point.

Just trying to stimulate a little discussion. 🙂

Andrew
    Participant

I haven’t looked carefully at what’s in the new proposal. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the stuff in it is questionable. But Republicans have zero credibility when it comes to proposing anything. They have a history of pretending they’ll support something if Democrats would only cut the total spending…and then not even voting for it anyway. This happened in 2009 when Democrats reduced the size of the Stimulus bill to try to get Republican support for it…but none voted for it anyway.

Democrats have learned this lesson – that’s why the American Rescue Plan (Covid relief) bill was not cut back almost at all from the original proposal. If Republicans were sincere in wanting to pass a bipartisan bill, they should be listened to…but they aren’t.

Very little has been funded in terms of infrastructure since Democrats lost the House in 2010. Almost nothing was done under Trump. So…we are way behind in fixing a lot of stuff. And the way things go in politics, Democrats might wind up losing Congress again in 2022. So this might be their last chance to do anything again for a long time.

I have faith that certain more conservative Democrats like Manchin will oppose certain things before a Senate bill can be passed and the Senate will compromise on something with the House…without any Republican input.

lastday
    Participant

Here’s one interesting take. Their definition of infrastructure is a little dated though and may not accurately reflect what qualifies as infrastructure in 2021. It should not be limited to a 1950s definition of “transportation and resilience”.

https://fee.org/articles/9-crazy-examples-of-unrelated-waste-and-partisan-spending-in-biden-s-2t-infrastructure-proposal/

“…Of this plan’s more than $2 trillion in proposed spending, just $621 billion goes to “transportation infrastructure and resilience.”

Andrew
    Participant

I’m OK with “lead pipes” and “rural broadband” being considered “infrastructure.”

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

News tonight that the Senate Parliamentarian ruling gives the Democrats ability to fast-track infrastructure bill and other bills this year, as long as the legislation has an affect on the budget. Possibly 3 more times this congress.

This should be interesting to watch to see how this might play out.

paulwalker
    Participant

As to the op’s original question of sparking new discussion it is obvious once Trump was thrown out the majority of us in here lost a strong desire to pile on. In other words, we won and there wasn’t much to discuss. I would warn that four years are short and whether it is Trump or a Trump wannabe, it will be here before we know it. Also the midterms are just a year and a half away. The electorate is still very divided and democrats should be concerned.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by paulwalker. Reason: Change in tone at the end
    Andrew
    Participant

Yeah, Chris, that’s really interesting news that Democrats will have a couple of budget reconciliation bills now so a golden opportunity to get some stuff passed that they haven’t had a shot at for years. They can do infrastructure and then if people can’t agree on everything now…push through one infrastructure bill now and do another one later after more compromises can be reached.

However, I hope they don’t patiently take their time too much. We may assume the Democrats will have a 50-50 +1 majority in the Senate through 2022, but things can happen e.g. a Democratic senator unexpected leaving (like, dying) as happened in 2009 when Ted Kennedy died – and eventually ended their 60 vote filibuster-proof majority. (Wow, imagine that the Democrats had SIXTY VOTES for a few months in 2009-2010!!! And look how relatively little they were able to pass. Biden may wind up passing more consequential legislation in two years with just 50 + 1 votes through reconciliation.)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.