House Republicans Are Already Trying To Block The New Net Neutrality Rules

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things House Republicans Are Already Trying To Block The New Net Neutrality Rules

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

Republicans are doing what they do best. They are trying to take the democracy out of the internet and sell it to corporations. The internet is a relatively pure form of free market principles. Their effort to block net neutrality demonstrates that instead of liberty House Republicans are most interested in selling freedom to corporate oligarchs.

http://www.politicususa.com/?p=179244

missing_kskd
    Participant

This is a fundraising bill at best. Sucks to see them do it, but it won’t get past the veto, if it even gets past Congress itself.

On another front, check out the EU backpeddling!

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/03/europe-reverses-course-on-net-neutrality-legislation/

Deane Johnson
    Participant

The headline of this thread makes for a cute trolling effort, but what is in the FCC rule that might not be desirable.

I’m very much for net neutrality, but one has to look at all the fine print to see what else is buried in this rule.

The Obama administration has a habit of sneaking a lot of poorly thought out nonsense into these things, the biggest example being some of the crap in ObamaCare.

Of course the Democrats will ignore it and let it slide through, so it’s up to the Republicans to watch out for the real negatives.

missing_kskd
    Participant

By that same argument, let’s have the FCC publish, everybody work through the thing, and then we can remedy that undesirable.

For now, the FCC has the authority to regulate this and has done so.

And it’s important regulation. Pushing a bill right now is just posturing and fundraising, not any material contribution to the state of things.

duxrule
    Participant

Whoops. Wrong thread.

Andy Brown
    Participant

I’m sure the bill is far from perfect, but the GOP only desires to see one group benefit, and that group is not the consumers it is the large providers. Meanwhile I don’t see the Republicans doing anything more than the usual, saying “no” without offering something up for evaluation by anyone/everyone.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

Andy, I suspect you are correct about the GOP motivation. That is something that annoys me considerably about the GOP.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.