Holiday 2015 Ratings

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    semoochie
    Participant

With KFIS not really a factor this year, K103 rocketed to a 21.4 share on over 1.3 million cume! I believe that’s over half the population. Everyone else was left in the dust.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I did not think that ratings even remotely this high would be possible today in a market the size of Portland. I don’t know whether to be aghast at the public’s tastes or just accept that people like Christmas music.

murdock
    Participant

For fans of ratings trivia, that 21.4 6+ share is a new North American PPM record.

Borderblaster
    Participant

The 96.7 signal was loud and clear It has to be a pirate.

semoochie
    Participant

Thank you Bruce. I’m sure that you, John and Janine are responsible for at least 15 of it. 🙂 Craig must be rolling in his retirement! 🙂

Andy Brown
    Participant

“I did not think that ratings even remotely this high would be possible today in a market the size of Portland. I don’t know whether to be aghast at the public’s tastes or just accept that people like Christmas music.”

Ratings are the industry cool aid. Don’t think for a minute that these numbers in any way reflect the public’s taste.

Follow the money.

Lander
    Participant

Congrats, K103! I love seeing that kind of number on a ratings report-makes me happy!

Craig_Adams
    Participant

nielsen CHRISTMAS RADIO SETS A NEW BAR IN 2015
    MEDIA AND ENTERTAINMENT | 01-26-2016

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/news/2016/christmas-radio-sets-a-new-bar-in-2015.html

semoochie
    Participant

And in other news: KWLZ still hasn’t made the list and there is a third possibility I hadn’t thought of as to why. I had considered that either they didn’t have enough listeners to show up or that they didn’t subscribe but another possibility is that Neilsen doesn’t know they exist and therefore, no ratings are taken. I’d like to think that’s it. They don’t seem to have much effect on KLTH though, whatever the reason.

murdock
    Participant

lol Semoochie. Craig’s legacy as K103’s first morning star is unalterable. The ratings were measured in a very different way when he was setting the records I’m still chasing so I’m sure he’s not phased in any way by this report, other than being happy that the station he started is still doing well.

semoochie
    Participant

I’m sure that’s true, Bruce. You’re both Class acts!

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I apologize if my sarcastic comments about seasonal all-Christmas format flips offended anybody. On re-reading what I wrote, I believe that I crossed a line that I should not have crossed.

radiodork
    Spectator

I’m deeply offended Alfredo.

semoochie
    Participant

If that’s your version of crossing the line, I’d like to welcome you to my family. 🙂

Andy Brown
    Participant

No, Alfredo, you crossed no line. What is really in poor taste is an industry that has had so much trouble reinventing itself that it has to rely on obsolete gimmicks (any kind of stunting is obsolete in the current media arena) and can’t find the cojones to create, to innovate, to step outside a time worn box that in reality is no longer working. Radio is now an industry that relies on a small sample of the public who actually get paid to provide less data then ever before upon which ratings are generated and what is even worse, these numbers are marketed as being an accurate representation of what the majority of the public is really listening to. It isn’t. They aren’t. It’s the advertisers who are at fault for not demanding accountability.

It’s laughable.

But if you want to believe it, and as I said earlier, drink the cool aid, go right ahead.

With so many options out there for consumers, who is actually listening to the radio is not a question that ratings have ever answered. All ratings measure is a small group of people that are getting paid to be part of the cool aid scam by having a “meter” which, if you look into it, is less a representation of reality then “diaries” were.

The truth is hard and cold but radio lost a big chunk of its credibility between 1995 and 2010. It was late to accept the internet and was in total denial of file sharing and streaming, iPods and smartphones, and revenues before the great recession were flat, then took a major nosedive.

Around town, I hear XRAY and KISN-LP playing in the cars at the stoplights, and in the professional buildings and supermarkets I hear classic rock. Over the last years, I don’t think I can remember a single place I went where local radio was playing in the background and tuned to K103. No offense to anybody, but I choose to call the ratings what they are and always have been . . . a crock of horse poo. The big money just keeps circulating at the top, yes it does, from the big ad placement agencies to the big radio groups. The ratings remain the principal conduit for this flow, but heaven knows that as far as the share of metered people being even close to the share of the public at large is an impossibility.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.