Hillsboro’s KUIK

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 25 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Craig_Adams 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

rsbvoice
    Participant

Is there any of us who didn’t work at KUIK? lol

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Me! But I did try to get on KUIK when I was the Greenest Green. 😳

stevewa
    Participant

Craig, I started spring of 1987, as a weekender then started stringing on local news. At some point I moved to weekday overnights, ending my shift by doing AM drive news anchor duties while Brad started his day running the Morning Show. When Brad left for KEX, I took over the board duties (still at the end of my overnight shift) and Ken Kane was hired as the new News Director. This continued for several months until another significant reshuffle (including taking the station off air during the overnight hours) and I went to evenings. This all happened before the end of 1989 because I had moved along to KEX by January of 1990, doing afternoon production duties, evening/weekend board op (including alternating with Rich Patterson on engineering for Sportsline, and the last years for NorthWest at Night w/Don Wright which was a weekend show by then) but no on-air work.

I used my given name Steve Ward throughout this time period.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Steve: Did you work for a station before KUIK?

stevewa
    Participant

Just college radio at U of P.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

When you started in Spring 1987 had KUIK changed format from Modern Country to Adult Contemporary with Country Crossovers?

stevewa
    Participant

I think that started in the Summer of 87. I must have started in April or May. Do you have any history on the Spanish language broadcasts on Sundays? Those were a big deal at the time, I believe the host was named Lorenzo Rubio. When I first started they were on in the morning, and later they added an evening edition as well. At that point Sunday programming also featured the live service from the Baptist church in Hillsboro, and Stuart Hamblin’s (sp?) Cowboy Church of the Air, when not pre-empted by sports.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

I have next to nothing on Spanish language. Two KUIK Spanish ads that I cut out of the Spanish Yellow pages from 2001 & 2007 but I can’t read them.

What were the KUIK operating hours when they cut the 24 hours? 5am to midnight I’m guessing?

stevewa
    Participant

I think it was 5A to 1A (may have been 2A). I remember there was an incident where a listener wrote not to KUIK but to overnight talker Freddy Mertz about us turning down at 1AM and I unexpectedly became the first guest on the show that night…talk about your job security pitfall laden conversation! At that point I had already lined up the job at KEX however and there were no repercussions (except to Mertz who would get fired from ABC for discussing his contract negotiations on-air).

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Steve, Thanks! I’ve added this to the master copy.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This is a revision of six paragraphs in the 1950’s of the KUIK History. Unknown until recently was Harold Singleton’s new partner in the 1957 reorganization. Also parts of 1958 & 59 have been completely re-written because of all the additional ownership names and more air personalities. Special thanks go to Jerry Dennon for his insight in this revision.

________________________________________________________________________________________

On January 1, 1957 KRTV was transferred to: Tualatin Valley Broadcasting, Inc. (Harold C. Singleton, President & 80%; Roberta Lanouette, 20%, former KGW writer & Producer) in a corporate reorganization of ownership (FCC approval on 12-11-56). On February 14, 1957 KRTV became KUIK. Call slogan: Radio Quick, the new sound of suburban radio. KUIK music was described as “happy, bright & light” with “Quick daily news” at :55 and frequent time signals. The Radio Quick DJ’s were: Bill Howlett (later on KVAN, KLIQ & KISN ND), Wes Lynch & Paul Alexander.

In 1957 H. Ben “Bennie” Murphy (formerly KIT CE) became General Manager. In 1958 Wallace L. Kadderly (formerly KOAC PD, KGW FD) became Farm Director; Ralph Hull (later on KISN, KOIL & aka Paul Anthony on KGON-1520) was a “Radio Quick” DJ. In March 1958 Dan Niles joined the air staff. By July 1958 Jerry Colkitt was General Manager & Bennie Murphy, Chief Engineer. By August 1958 Wes Lynch was Program Director.

On September 26, 1958 it was announced KUIK was sold to KUIK Broadcasters (Gerald B. “Jerry” Dennon, 25%, formerly KOIN AM-FM-TV Asst. Promotion Manager; John P. Gillis, 25%; George I. West standing in for silent partner Ronald L.”Ron” Rule, 50%, KOIN-TV staff announcer. West was Ron’s brother-in-law) for $62,500. (FCC approval on 10-22-58; Transfer on 10-31-58). Jerry Dennon became General Manager & P.D. with John Gillis, Sales Manager. KUIK switched format to “Good Music” 9am to 3pm with “Rock & Roll banned during these hours”. Continuing slogan as: The Suburban Sound.

The Quick DJ’s were: Jerry Dennon (later co-founding the Jerden record label, issuing the million seller “Louie Louie” by The Kingsmen. He would later co-found KSWB as well) signing on at 7am. Ray Horn (formerly on KGON-1230, KYNG, KEX & now simultaneously on KGW) 10am. On December 1, 1958 Paul Alexander returned as Farm Director at 12 noon. On December 10, 1958 KUIK sign on began at 6am with Clair Musser (later on KRDR) and Wes Lynch (later KGW PD) at 7am & Ray Horn at 9am.

On December 27, 1958 it was reported KUIK had made improvements on its Collins transmitter capacity. On December 29, 1958 John Gillis took over the 7am to 9am shift. On January 26, 1959 KUIK switched back to a 7am sign on with John Gillis. New DJ, Rod Anderson (aka Rod Anders, formerly on KTIL, KFLW) at 9am & Ray Horn (later on KQIV, KKUL) moved to 12:15pm. On February 5, 1959 it was announced KUIK Broadcasters had applied for reorganization of the license. Herman Goldberg & Virginia Riley each purchased 20% in stock. John P. Gillis became General Manager.

In April 1959 John P. Gillis purchased KUIK fully from his partners, becoming President & G.M. Licensee name changed to John P. Gillis. By 1959 the “Radio Quick” DJ’s were: Rod Anderson (later on KXL, KPOJ & aka Ramblin’ Rod on KPTV); Roger Ferrier (formerly on KENL, KVAN, KENL, later on KLIQ, KEX, aka Roger Hart on KISN, KGAY PD, KGAL PD, KKEY, KGON, KISN, Paul Revere & The Raiders, manager and early producer, KGAR MD, KKEY, KKUL, KKEY, KYTE, KKSN, KPOJ, KZNY MD/PM, KKAD). By December 1959 KUIK slogan: Hometown radio 1360.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.