Here's something the extremists might understand.

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Here's something the extremists might understand.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Deane Johnson
    Participant

I’ve long maintained that the only thing the radical Islamists understand is who has the biggest machete and is willing to use it.

Seems that the ISIS Chief Executioner got some understanding imparted to him.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/syria-isis-chief-executioner-found-beheaded-cigarette-his-mouth-1482101

duxrule
    Participant

He’s dead. What does he “understand” now?

Amus
    Participant

I guess it all depends on who’s religion is the real deal.
    Or not.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I did not know that ISIS is opposed to tobacco use. I am glad that their executioner is gone, but I would think that this act might embolden the ISIS rather than deter them.

missing_kskd
    Participant

I agree.

Title for tat shit won’t be effective. Nor will any basic resolution.

A combined and unified political, humanitarian as well as military solution is required.

Can’t just be us.

And it won’t really go away, more like reduced to a small size. Ideas do not die with men.

However, we can empower people and give them the means and support to beat this kind of thing back, and promoting free expression is a very significant and core component of all that.

Some cultures do not allow for a diverse enough expression for these extreme groups to be called out and marginalized early enough.

That is how they form.

We struggle with it here. The difference is we can laugh, ridecule, marginalize, and use legal means to snuff it out.

This dynamic is one of the reason why I have the strong position against theocracy that I do.

Extremes like we are seeing have a much easier time forming when religion is part of the state. Our founders understood and lived those realities.

Where ISIS is now, those people have also lived it, but few see the benefit of expression, and the older cultures are not permissive enough for expression to serve the good we know it can.

The same clerics ruling now can do good or bad and cannot really be questioned due to divine justification for their power.

Our First Amendment is first for really good reasons.

Without it, ongoing and significant efforts to police are required when more self policing could be working.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

Is there any evidence historically that indicates appeasement buys any moderation by these type groups?

duxrule
    Participant

Is there any evidence that trying to kill them all is any more effective at reducing their violence?

Alfredo_T
    Participant

No, I don’t think that it is even possible to appease extremists like ISIS. The world outside of their organization will never be pure enough for them.

missing_kskd
    Participant

who mentioned appeasement?

duxrule
    Participant

Deane, and no one else.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.