Here's Someone From Our Past!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    semoochie
    Participant

Many of us may remember John Shomby and here he is, through the MaJiK of Radio Insight: https://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/96518/john-shomby-named-director-of-programming-for-nash/

Dxer1969
    Participant

He was Cosmic John who was PD and host from 3 to 6pm on Magic 107 back during, I believe fall of 82 to around 86 or early 87. He was cool and a high energy type! Listened to him and Naganuma all the time!

Andy Brown
    Participant

Nope, they were different PD’s at KMJK. John Shomby was PD of Magic from 1980 – 1981 and was replaced by Jon Barry Callis whom was there from ’81 to 87ish. Jon was initially Jon Barry at Magic until Harte Hankes sold it to Vic Ives and his investors, and switched format from automated slush on reel to reel to cart driven CHR at which point he became Cosmic Jon. I worked there then with Steve Naganuma, Jon, Kent Philips, Alan Budwill, Brian Thomas, Jack Elder, Tom Brooks, Jody Lewerenz, Eric Worden, Kevin (the Old Timer) as well as Charlie Busch and John Walker. I came on in ’82 and Jon was already there but hadn’t been there that long.

Anyway, Shomby doesn’t look at all like Cosmic Jon.

Here’s the Cosmic One right before moving to Portland:

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/leisure/roanoker_20150304/index.php?startid=66

Here’s Shomby’s profile on Linked In:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/johnshomby

Barry is out of radio for 8 years doing independent voice overs as of last year according to the article.

Here are some of the gang (including yours truly) doing a group ID back in ’84:

http://www.mediaeng.com/specialprojects/AlanJodyAndySteve.mp3

‘Walk on, Momma!’

Dxer1969
    Participant

Yeah. Ok. The station was CHR from 79 to early 81 and then it changed to a softer format.It did sound automated too. I remember Archer did middays and John was also on the air, but was not The Coz then.

Hey thanks for the additional details and the pix! I truly was a fan of the station from 82 to early 87

And the station always sounded good. I received the station at Exit 99 on I 5 twice. 200 miles away for an FM. Awesome job!!

Steve Naganuma
    Participant

Don’t have any air checks of John Shomby. Here is an MP3 of Cosmic Jon Barry’s last shift on KMJK (12/18/1986). This recording came from the KMJK air check skimmer. Lots of references to loving Portland but heading home to Richmond, VA.

[audio src="http://www.mediafire.com/download/0iz4dgmgymm/CosmicJonBarryKMJK_12_18_86.mp3" /]

Andy Brown
    Participant
    tombrooks
    Participant

Andy — What a great treat to think about the fun memories at KMJK in the middle of the day here.. Thank you..Those were such fun times..seems like just yesterday.. I know I told you before, but really sorry about sometimes not treating equipment the best…spilling coffee or pop on it. It was such a fun time when Victor owned the station…
    Cosmic Jon was the best boss…(Although he used to complain to my exwife (No names – she was in Traffic Dept) how I always wanted to play “let’s make a deal” with “filling in” on air shifts… fun times with the Magic 107 Family…!! (P.S. By the way all the cigar smoke in studio…I never bought any cigars… talk to Steve N. about that problem..lol… Cheers !

Charlie Busch
    Participant

What a great time that was. My duties were middays and production. Andy was the best. All I would say was “hey Andy” and he would have tool box in hand following me while I explained what was going on. (should have done that when the toilet clogged). Jon was about as good as it gets. Always kept it fun. I remember having two offers at that time but there was no doubt which group I wanted to be with. Largely because of Coz, Kent & Alan, Naganuma, and the rest. Vic (Little Timmy) was beyond belief. Nothing but smiles thinking about that time. I remember Andy and I found a mint condition Neumann mike in storage and I immediately hooked it up in the Prod room. Jon came to me and said he wanted the old Shure sm3b (black and gray Tylenol pill) back because the Neumann “sounded too natural”. Sure wish I had that mike today.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Hi Charlie! How goes the rebuilding of KCNQ 102.5
    and KRVQ 104.5 after the Erskine Fire melted them?

http://www.kernriverradio.com

semoochie
    Participant

Since I started this thread in February(It’s interesting that it took five months to pick up steam!), I should chime in that the main production mike at KKEY was a Neumann, so if produced spots sounded better than the rest of the station, now you know why. It was also used for the Scandinavian and Italian Hours and toward the end, all the talk shows.

Matt Jones
    Participant

I have such great memories of my time “hanging out” at KMJK. I interned there in late ’82 into early ’83. Once the internship ended, I just kept coming around…. until I was hired at KKRZ in February of ’84.

I presented several airchecks to Jon, hoping he’d hire me. He listened to them all, and gave me some great constructive feedback. But he never did give me a job. Aside from my newbie lack of talent, I know he was concerned that, due to my visual issues, I might have difficulty taking the required transmitter readings.

But nonetheless…great memories! Getting to spend time with Steve Naganuma, Ben Stone, Thomas & Ross, Alan Budwill and Kent Phillips (before they were a team), Eric Worden, and Devon…remember her? And yes, even Tom Brooks!

I remember “board opping” for Chris Nolan one night (10p-2a shift). He was sicker than a dog, and could hardly do his show. I offered to do all the segues, and just let him get to the board long enough to do talk breaks. He’d do a break, and then go lie on the floor at the back of the studio. It was a lot of fun! I felt like I was doing “real” radio for the first time.

I also remember asking Andy many, many questions about equipment and transmitters and such. Always enjoyed those talks….although I think I was more of an annoyance to him than anything else….

Charlie: I did not realize you were there at the time! I wish I had known that, when we worked together at KRVO. It would have been fun to hear stories about those days!

Yep. I have a real soft spot for KMJK. It was my first stop on what has been an amazing radio journey.

Andy Brown
    Participant

No, Matt, you were never an annoyance.

The only major annoyances were Thomas and Ross. Between the two of them, they were a constant impediment to the notion of teamwork, mutual respect and following the directives of management. They destroyed equipment, put themselves on a pedestal and in the end, did not deliver the goods. It could be said that they blew an excellent opportunity which Kent and Alan seized on when Thomas self destructed and left leaving Kevin without a foil.

I got even, though. One day in the fall of 1983 I took the scarecrow from the reception area into the engineering shop (which had no windows) and proceeded to put the flannel shirt I was wearing that day on the scarecrow which had on work overalls. Now you have to visualize a few things. First, Thomas and Ross rarely stayed in the control room after their breaks. They would both leave the room after rolling the first song after the break and hang out in the reception area flirting with Peggy, the good looking receptionist. I brought Kent Philips into the shop and told him my plan. I would walk into the CR with some tools and my soldering station and tell the boys I had some minor work to do ASAP and wouldn’t be in their way. The console furniture at Magic included a table top for the console and an upper rack for some processing, a reel to reel for phone calls and some other stuff. There was a space between them, so when sitting or standing at the console, there was an area belly high in-between the upper racks and the table console which the DJ could see through to the wall. Then when they left the room to harass Peggy, I would bring in the scarecrow and put it behind the furniture so only the coveralls and flannel shirt showed. Kent kept an eye on the boys and when they were out of sight of the control room door gave me the high sign and held the door open so I could make the switch. I even put the soldering pencil in the ‘hand’ of the scarecrow, then raised it up out of their sight so it looked like someone was using it as the cord and base were visible from the DJ side of the console. I got out of the room just as the warning light went on and the boys returned. I had told Cosmic Jon about this in advance and went to get him, Alan and Jody to watch. Kent had a window into the control room from the news room so he could see as well. So anyway, Thomas and Ross run into the control room to do their break, yak a few lines, roll the next song and when the mics were off started talking to the scarecrow thinking it was me. No answer. They asked questions again. And again. No answer. Thomas, a hotheaded kind of guy, started getting mad. They raised their voices and started calling me out . . . meanwhile, had they turned completely around, the floor to ceiling glass window in the back of the control room had five or so sets of eyes peering in watching and holding back laughs. Finally, Thomas goes around the back of console to confront my silence and there was the scarecrow with the soldering pencil in hand. He started laughing hysterically and when he turned around to walk back to his chair he saw everyone watching through the window. Gotcha. Couldn’t have pulled that off without Kent.

It didn’t change their behavior though. In fact, in protest a few weeks later, I handed out some new Sennheiser headphones to them and one day later Kevin handed his back to me with the cord cut at the headphone cup. He said, “These don’t work.” WTF. Truth is I did not miss those clowns once they were gone.

semoochie
    Participant

As I recall, Brian Thomas went to Z100, breaking up the team and was then gone almost immediately.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Yes, that was the public version.

semoochie
    Participant

I meant to say that Brian Thomas was gone almost immediately from Z100! He didn’t seem to jell too well with Gary Bryan. Maybe his English accent played a part. It worked well for him on Classical KKSN though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.