Helfrich fired

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    paulwalker
    Participant

As expected. News conference scheduled for 8:30. A name I heard today is Mike Gundy from OK State.

Brianl
    Participant

I would be surprised if Gundy made that move – he’s an Oklahoma State alum. Quirky, passionate.

Dana Holgorsen from West Virginia is a possibility. As is, I’d imagine, Bryan Harsin from Boise State.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Do you think Chip Kelly would return?

Brianl
    Participant

I personally doubt it, Chris. I realize that this year has been an unmitigated disaster in San Francisco, but he has nothing to work with – at all. Chip has also made it known that he wants to stay in the NFL.

duxrule
    Participant

They’re saying that Willie Taggart from South Florida will be the new coach. This guy has some skills. Maybe he can bring some toughness that’s been missing from the program for a while.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/sports/sources-usfs-willie-taggart-to-be-named-head-football-coach-at-oregon

Brianl
    Participant

Not a sexy hire, not the huge name, but he has incrementally built South Florida up. He has California recruiting ties, being a former assistant at Stanford. He obviously knows Florida well, another recruiting hotbed.

Time will tell how this shakes out, but they could have done a lot worse than Taggart.

Vitalogy
    Participant

As a Duck fan, this is a great hire. Looking very forward to what he brings to the table. Helfrich was a nice guy, but nice guys and losing records mean you get fired regardless.

Personally, the Helfrich hire and his contract extension were a big mistake. As in a 7 figure mistake. If Taggert doesn’t work out, Mullens is the next guy in line to get his ass fired.

paulwalker
    Participant

The Ducks definitely took a financial blow by firing Helfrich this year. Perhaps they might have given him another year, but that could have been costly in other ways, IE recruiting.

Don’t know about Taggert. Seems he is a good recruiter, especially in Florida, but also when he was with Stanford, but I don’t seriously believe he will be able to recruit many Florida standouts to Oregon down there in the heart of the SEC.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.