Hated buzzwords and vogue words

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    paulwalker
    Participant

Missing, thanks for your “lesson” on marketing and branding. Of course I understand all of that, how could one work in radio for 30+ years and not? Which leads me to why I wrote those as hated buzzwords. Because how they apply to radio.
    I understand why they are important, but was just getting a little tired of them as everyday radio speak. And just because they are used doesn’t mean I have to like them.

Marketing professionals in radio really mean salespeople. Sorry, but I have seen this fancy title bandied about for years. It may mean something different in other professions, but in radio it means selling airtime or remotes. That’s it.

Branding. Yeah I get it. But, again, the average radio listener, while perhaps influenced by branding, does not see it as such. They are simply looking for a radio station that plays the music they like. I think we, as an industry tend to over complicate things at times.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Well, there is one big problem with radio today then. Anyone actually lumping those together deserves what they get on the revenue and margin end of things.

Sorry that came off bad. I was in the mood to write on it and figured somebody would benefit, that’s all. Didn’t mean otherwise. And frankly, I’m having to do some battle on that front right now. People want numbers, but they don’t want process, and they just don’t get how it really doesn’t work that way in the vast majority of cases. No cases I’ve encountered for sure.

Apparently, diluting value isn’t enough for radio. Given they really do want to kill it off entirely dead, and quick, mashing the business processes together at the expense of revenue and margins makes perfect sense! Let’s hope they get it done quick, those people lose their ass, and maybe those who eventually pick up the pieces can do it right, assuming anyone really cares by then.

It’s likely they won’t.

Re: Charlie.

Still thinking on that one.

paulwalker
    Participant

No worries, Missing. You and I go back a long ways here, and I appreciate your honesty. I try to be honest as well. You are correct, radio has severe problems right now and you pointed to a couple of them.

As for Charlie…perhaps a “brand with no name”? Just a thought. “brandless?”

mike_kolb
    Participant

Ah yes, thanks for reminder: add “no worries” to the list of overused and hated buzzwords.

Generally, it seems to mean… “your comments or opinion mean nothing to me, but I won’t show my disdain blatantly, merely disguised by the phrase ‘no worries’, trusting that everyone else, except you, will understand exactly what I mean”.

paulwalker
    Participant

OMG. Does “no worries” really need to be dissected? Let me try again…No offense taken. Is that better? Good grief, while we all hate buzzwords, we also have to speak in today’s language.

missing_kskd
    Participant

I’m not giving in on “no worries” one bit.

That is a GREAT expression. Really, it means “no intent to worry” and that means trust and it means whatever it is can resolve nicely, with “no worries” in the end.

People who say this generally value others and their interactions with others enough to mean it.

And I do when I use that phrase, and I took it that way with Paul. Neither of us have any reason to worry over that dialog, and having one affirm that is a good thing.

🙂 Right back at ‘ya Paul.

I find people from the midwest and north east coasts tend to use “no worries” far more than I encounter on the west coast.

missing_kskd
    Participant

BTW: The other big mistake is thinking top sales people can be promoted to sales manager jobs with no impact on their numbers. What will happen is they will continue with their numbers, the management and all that goes with building a great team will play second fiddle to the quota and that comp plan pay check.

(as it should, mind you)

People are either sales managers or sales people. Mixing those has just as much pain associated with it as mixing marketing and sales generally does.

Bet radio does that too. 🙂

paulwalker
    Participant

thanks missing

paulwalker
    Participant

Yeah, never liked “powered by”. There is nothing wrong with “brought to you by”. However, the latest broadcast speech just ignores those adverbs completely, and just does the damn announcement. Nobody cares.

Amus
    Participant

“Powered by peanuts”

I think that was a George Washington Carver thing.

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.