Hated buzzwords and vogue words

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    DanOregon
    Participant

guesstimate

efforting

close-knit community

buzz

star (now it means pretty much anyone who is/was on a team or in a tv show or movie).

paulwalker
    Participant

“social media”. I understand it is part of our culture today, but the way radio has embraced it is somewhat bothersome to me. IMO, it can be a helpful tool for radio stations, but seems to have become more important than radio itself. Let’s look at it. Radio has been around for almost 100 years. Will Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram reach that mark? Just some food for thought.

Listener_Pete
    Participant

“Breaking News” is over done.
    “You Know” is stupid.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

Webinar!

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

Videoconference, webinar, live stream, video call (Skype), are all different formats using different software or hardware.

While all could be considered means of videoconferencing, the term videoconference often refers to using a dedicated videoconferenceing system at each participating location with two-way audio and video, and can include a view of the host site’s computer screen (such as a Powerpoint) alongside a camera shot of the presenter. Videoconferencing systems are designed for interactivity with many sites in one “call.” The display can be either “Hollywood squares” with all sites visible, or the configuration can be the current or most recent speaker has the full screen.

A webinar is generally one-way video of a computer display (such as Powerpoint) and may, or may not include a view of the presenter. Receive sites interact with text that appears in the corner of the screen for all participants to see, and possibly with audio return, which is often via a land-line phone conference back to the host site.

A video call or Skype is a phone call with video. Screen sharing is an option, and my experience is this is usually a two or maybe three-party call, while the “videoconference” mentioned above is optimized for many sites.

A live stream is one-way audio or audio/video. When video is included the presentation is usually television-like, multi-cam with a technical director switching sources and adding key-over graphics.

Andy Brown
    Participant

The larger category is often referred to as “distance learning.”

This term was coined in the 1990’s, after videoconferencing became available. Randy’s breakdown explains all the different forms it can be in. I did a video/audio network install at a BIA funded school project in the mid 90’s where “distance learning through videoconferencing” was one of the specifications on the contract. It was pre digital video so a separate network had to be constructed using video/audio over twisted pair separate from the schools data network. This was achieved using a baseband switcher like in a TV broadcast station at that time. Here’s what is looked like:

http://mediaeng.com/chief_leschi_system.html

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Now we are getting “annal.” Another buzzword?

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I don’t like “Web 2.0” or “social media” (as Paul mentioned). When I started to hear these terms, I was amused and annoyed because I recall when people started creating personal Web pages in the mid 1990s. As far as I am concerned, the main development that has come along since then is that MySpace and (later) Facebook happened, lowering the bar for entry into the world of Web content creation. Now, users don’t have to learn HTML, and it is much easier for them to find one another.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Re: negative re-branding of the word “hacker.”

Years ago, I produced a shocked reaction from a co-worker when I used the term “virus developer” to refer to the people who create computer viruses. In my recollection, it just slipped out of my mouth, and I was not trying to be funny or ironic. I did counter the shocked reaction with something like, “writing a computer virus would take a lot of skill because one would need to find and understand security vulnerabilities of software that the original creators of the software overlooked. In that sense, I do think of virus creators as software developers.”

Vitalogy
    Participant

Let’s get back to the term African-American.

Would a white person from South Africa who lives in the US refer to themselves as African-American?

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I am not a fan of the use of the prefixes “micro” and “mega” to mean small and large, respectively. Today, I read the term “micro site” for the first time, and I was not impressed.

The intended use of the word “micro” is as a prefix before a unit to mean one millionth (1.0E-6).

The intended use of the word “mega” is as a prefix before a unit to mean one million (1.0E+6).

[Feel free to snicker at me for writing the numbers in engineering notation.]

Mrs.Merkin
    Participant

Words or phrases I detest:

Meme
    Something that’s a “Must do”
    Something that’s a “Must see”
    Something that’s “Not to be missed”

duxrule
    Participant

I want to punch people in the face when they pronounce the “T” in “often.” “Off-ten” is NOT the way you say that, people! 🙁

Alfredo_T
    Participant

According to Merriam-Webster Online, it is correct to pronounce the “t” in often or to omit it. See http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/often

What I did not realize until very recently was that the traditional pronunciation DID omit the “t.” Pronouncing the “t” started to become common in the 19th century, as literacy rates increased.

I am a bit on the fence about the drones. I do not own one, but my understanding is that the flight of these types of model aircraft is heavily automated by the on-board computer, and that allows people with little or no flying experience to get them in the air. Traditional radio controlled model airplanes and helicopters required much more skill from the operator.

jr_tech
    Participant

My 2 cents (or less) worth on “Drones”

Although they contain sophisticated technology (level sensors, gyros and computer control) to easily maintain stable flight, the cheaper models are *not* capable of autonomous flight, and IMHO, do not deserve to be labeled “Drones”. I prefer to call the little toys that I fly around the house and back yard “Quadcopters”.
    Much more expensive models can be flown “first person view” and contain GPS receivers and *are* capable of programmed flight (at least an automated “return home” if signal is lost) perhaps deserve the label “Drone”.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.