Has KINK changed format?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    semoochie
    Participant

Someone on Radio Discussions.com mentioned that KINK is different now. I checked two days of playlists and found no 60s, few 70s and a lack of a Classic Rock core. It’s now more of an Alternative core and I’d describe it as “Modern AC”! I’ve been pretty much housebound since retiring last September and have missed a lot of what’s going on in local radio. Has anyone noticed this and do you have an opinion? They’ve probably lost some older listeners and that’s quite a bit of their audience!

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

Seems like AAA has been moving in a poppy modern AC direction for a number of years. San Francisco’s “Alice” and Bend’s “Clear” come to mind, although I haven’t heard the former in a while. Eugene’s KRVM has evolved slightly the opposite way towards more singer-songwriter, folk-rock, and blocks of Americana. Their HD2 channel is definitely Modern AC though. I think I’m one of about 3 listeners to the latter.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I have been noticing the change, but possibly in a gradual way. There is no more Woodstock era music or reggae. The new sound is a bit more edgy. It sounds to me as though the intent is to go up against KNRK and KRSK.

lastday
    Participant

Re KRVM-HD2

They had a guy in Medford doing the programming. He got married or something and just stopped working on it. That was about a year ago when he dropped out.

PD Stu Allen has been keeping HD2 going. I suspect he puts stuff on HD2 that he feels doesn’t fit their AAA format. I listen to HD2 quite a lot lately and I kind of like it. Their main AAA programming just gets a little too touchy-feely and socially-aware for me sometimes. But they’re not programming it for me. Nothing personal Stu if you’re reading this. 😉

Before C-19 hit the fan, and before their GM had to kind of abruptly leave for personal reasons, they were going to start streaming HD2 this year and try to line up some business underwriters so it would pay its own way. Then everything blew up.

I do know for fact that KRVM’s staff is stretched to the limit. You got what, like 20 specialty shows that are normally hosted live. Host used to go in with a thumb drive or a box of CDs or vinyl and do their show live. That’s impossible now. The studio is physically part of Sheldon High School so Eugene School District 4J sets the rules in the era of C-19.

A few non-technical volunteer hosts can’t produce their show at home so they give the station a playlist and a box of CDs and staff makes a show out of it. Very messy and time-consuming.

Honestly I’m amazed that HD2 is still going and being updated and remains interesting, what with all the other distractions this year.

lastday
    Participant

Oh and apologies for kind of derailing a thread about KINK.

semoochie
    Participant

This is the kind of thread that would’ve gotten a lot of traction in the old days of this site. Thank you and hopefully, we can continue.

Andy Brown
    Participant

That’s because KINK was worth listening to. I have to give credit (not much credit, but a little) to anyone willing to endure the slop being played on what was once considered to be a “progressive” station that was indeed an “alternative” to the Top 40/CHR formula that long ago took over most formats. Top 40 old country, top 40 new country, top 40 easy listening, top 40 adult contemporary . . . even KNRK has morphed into a Top 40 “alternative” station. I listen to them in my basement workshop. It is set to come on when I turn on the lights, so I don’t have to make a conscious decision about tuning in. Same songs, same artists over and over and over and over and over . . .

I wouldn’t lower myself to listen enough in order to write a real review, so thanks to you guys for doing it for me.

It may make “ratings” (you know that fake, baseless, phony process developed by big broadcasting to better distort and cheat small and poor stations from being able to compete for national and regional ads) and create some spot sales but it is not good radio. If automation and voice tracking doesn’t drive you nuts, the repetition will. Not me, thanks.

I remember KINK when it was young and spirited and done reasonably well. Even then, although out of corporate direct malfeasance like today, it had a lot of blemishes. Pet artists, nothing with a hard edge, far too slow a delivery and a distinct effete snob appeal were overcome by a few really good DJs and a lot of good artists being played (albeit the same 3 cuts, an early indicator of what was to come years ahead). No matter how high you rate the KINK of old, when KING Broadcasting sold it to Embarcadero in 1992, it was the beginning of the end. It is now almost thirty years since the KINK of old began its journey to mediocrity. There is now nothing to make it unique. It’s just another blob of fruit cocktail where it’s difficult to know is that a piece of pear? peach? plum?

For those that need a refresher, check out this history of KINK.

Gabe
    Participant

KINK is (or recently was) about the only station left in the market worth commenting on, IMHO. It’s sad to see it go downhill too. The slow decline of radio that began in the late 90s (or so) has really come to a head recently. It’s stunning to see the number of FM music stations using syndicated programming for much of the day, and the morning “shows” that are still local have been trimmed down to one or (if we’re lucky) two personalities. There’s just so much bland crap… and what isn’t bland is merely shrill; no forward momentum, little excitement on the part of jocks, little to no community presence, weak station branding, few “phoners” on the air, etc. it almost sounds like nobody knows what they’re supposed to be doing on the air anymore.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.