Harvey Weinstein

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Chris_taylor 5 days, 11 hours ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Has anybody else been keeping up on the story regarding accusations of sexual harassment against Harvey Weinstein? Weinstein issued a public statement in which he said that he came of age in the 1960s and ’70s, when standards of permissible workplace behavior were different. It will be a while before I want to watch a new release from the Weinstein Group, even though he was fired from the company.

Brianl
    Participant

Acceptable workplace behavior was different in the 1960s and 70s, sure. Drunk driving and segregation were also acceptable for much of that.

That’s no excuse for that behavior now. There is no excuse for it now.

paulwalker
    Participant

I was a child of the 60’s and Brian is correct. A different world. I grew up in a white neighborhood in Seattle where the phrase “Eeny, meeny, miny, moe, catch a “n____r” by the toe” was a common playground chant. Yes, Seattle in the late 1960’s.

As for drunk driving, most officers looked the other way back in that decade, unless they sensed someone was way over the top. Otherwise, it was “just continue home and don’t drive anymore tonight”.

skeptical
    Participant

On the other hand, Weinstein spared the planet from even more crappy movies than we would otherwise have, all the while giving the little guys a shot at the big time.

Let’s cook Weinstein for supreme assholism, but not burn any of the art brought to the masses outside of the Hollywood studio system.

I’d say Weinstein is mostly done as a film producer.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Yes! Welcome to the PDXRadio asshole barbecue!!

semoochie
    Participant

“I’d say Weinstein is mostly done as a film producer.” I don’t know about that. Isn’t Roman Polanski still up and running?

Vitalogy
    Participant

I can’t say I’ve ever heard of Harvey Weinstein until this. I don’t think I can even name a movie he’s been associated with.

What’s really bothering about this whole thing is the number of people, many of them A list celebs, who decided not to out this guy. I can understand the no-name 20 something actress, but Paltrow and Jolie?? They are powerful enough to have come forward and the fact they didn’t is disappointing.

paulwalker
    Participant

There has been some criticism from the right that former democratic leaders have been silent about Weinstein because he was a big donor. That ended today.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/10/politics/hillary-clinton-harvey-weinstein/index.html

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I formerly used “Harvey” as part of a password in honor of Harvey the Rabbit. I had to change that, out of disgust.

I have watched a number of films from the Weinstein Group, although I did not know about Harvey Weinstein until now. The Weinstein films generally fall into the category of dramas meant for an adult audience (as opposed to science fiction or action films with large special effects budgets). In my recollection, most of the Weinstein films I watched came from the library, and a few played at smaller theaters, such as The Living Room Theater.

Andy Brown
    Participant

drumpf did all the same things and women still voted for him in the POTUS election. So much for logic.

Chris_taylor
    Participant

When my daughter was raped back in college in Oct of 2014, she didn’t inform us until Feb of 2015. Sexual assault is violence towards it victim, which is traumatic. Because rape is both a physical and emotional crime, it can days, weeks, if not months and years before women feel safe enough to report it. Our daughter reported this immediately and the rapist was banned from campus as a former student.

Rape is the absence of consent, plain and simple.

“Acceptable workplace behavior was different in the 1960s and 70s, sure.”

It was wrong then and it’s still wrong now. The only difference is its being brought to light where before this time it wasn’t taken seriously, even though it was happening in plain sight. There is never an excuse for abuse…ever!!

Always listen to the victim. There story is their truth, and more than likely quite factual. If all that is being brought out is correct, this man should get 10-20 yrs in federal prison. But ya know, he’s white, privileged and has money. I’m not holding my breath.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.