GOP aide’s online dig at Obama teens creates backlash

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things GOP aide’s online dig at Obama teens creates backlash

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Andy Brown 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Vitalogy
    Participant

More “family values” talk from the right about Obama’s children, who are age 13 and 16.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/gop-aide%e2%80%99s-online-dig-at-obama-teens-creates-backlash/ar-BBg8Q2G?ocid=answashpost11

The communications director for a Republican member of Congress ignited a firestorm this weekend after she criticized President Obama’s teenage daughters in a Facebook post that touched a nerve even for Americans accustomed to political mudslinging.

“Try showing a little class,” Elizabeth Lauten, communications director for Rep. Stephen Lee Fincher (Tenn.), wrote Friday in a Facebook posting addressed to Sasha, 13, and Malia, 16, chastising them for their comportment during last week’s annual turkey pardoning event at the White House.

“Rise to the occasion. Dress like you deserve respect, not a spot at the bar,” Lauten wrote. “And certainly don’t make faces during televised, public events.”

Lauten’s Facebook post was shared on Twitter and then picked up by the blogosphere. Most of the online reaction to Lauten’s comments focused on her characterization of the girls’ appearance and their facial expressions, which was especially surprising given her role as a political communication adviser. Some Twitter users accused her of racial overtones in her comments.

By Saturday evening, hundreds of people had made use of the #ElizabethLauten hashtag on Twitter.

“Direct your dislike of their dad’s policies or politics toward their dad. Always leave the kids (D or R) out of it,” wrote one Twitter using the handle @Mica4Life.

jerry1949
    Spectator

She apologized for it. No big deal. Not exactly a “statement from the right.”

Vitalogy
    Participant

Of course she should have apologized.

But don’t get confused, this IS a statement from the right. She was addressing her fellow travelers.

I’m sure it killed her that she couldn’t just come out and use the words she wanted to describe the Obama girls: Hookers.

duxrule
    Participant

You’re being generous. The word you’re looking for starts with an “N.”

skeptical
    Participant

Can’t wait for Elizabeth Lauten to have kids.

Amus
    Participant

missing_kskd
    Participant

That’s painful.

Ideally, she is better for the whole thing. I just looked at the photo. What I see are two teen girls presenting as such. There is no cause for shame in any of it.

Looks to me like Mom is doing a fine job. It also looks to me like anybody bitching probably has the daughters they deserve too.

jerry1949
    Spectator

I saw a clip and what I saw were two bored teenagers who were not as amused by their dad’s jokes as he and everyone else was. Typical.

I sometimes think facebook comments should get a pass or be off limits. Everybody is going to eventually say something stupid, unless they are very careful and controlled, but then it wouldn’t be natural.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Oh I think FB comments are a great thing.

We are more rapidly figuring out who is who and what their real social and economic preferences are.

It’s OK when people say something stupid, unless it isn’t, right?

As painful as social media can be, the net gain is worth it. How we own our stupid comments says a lot, and as everybody figures out what the First Amendment means, and it means free speech is not a shield, they will think harder about their speech and be more understanding about others speech.

There are lots of ways to respond to that kind of thing. People over 30 are fucking up on social media in much larger numbers than those under 30, who harbor much different expectations for how it’s used and what to do when something ugly gets said.

Over the next 10 years, we will see better norms play out as people who grow up with social media settle into middle age.

Younger people will see that kind of thing and respond, “Seriously?” giving the person who fucked it up a clear out to remedy it right then and there.

Older people like to pass judgement more, and do not realize the importance of those outs. Nor do they realize in higher numbers the basic difference between, “you are racist” as opposed to something like, “man, that sure comes off as racist” and how both conversations can play out.

In this case, having the title “communications director” makes the speech particularly painful. Of course the vast majority of people are thinking, “Doesn’t she know better?” As they should!

Any communications director worth their salt can and should understand the outcome of “Show a little class.”

The bell just rang at the school of hard knocks:

Hours after the original post, Lauten followed up with a second post apologizing for her critique. “I quickly judged the two young ladies in a way that I would never have wanted to be judged myself as a teenager,” she wrote.

“After many hours of prayer, talking to my parents, and re-reading my words online I can see more clearly just how hurtful my words were. . . . I pledge to learn and grow (and I assure you I have) from this experience.”

I’ll bet she does. And that’s a good thing.

Vitalogy
    Participant

GOP Staffer Who Said Obama Girls Lacked Class Was Arrested As A Teen.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/lauten-sasha-malia-class-arrested-teen?utm_content=bufferab6b7&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

The Republican staffer who lectured Sasha and Malia Obama on their clothes and told them to “try showing a little class” wasn’t exactly a perfect teenager herself.

Elizabeth Lauten was arrested at age 17 for misdemeanor larceny after she allegedly stole from a Belk Department store in North Carolina, according to court records reviewed by The Smoking Gun. The charges were dismissed since Lauten was a first-time offender and she didn’t get into additional trouble.

Lauten resigned as the the communications director for Rep. Stephen Fincher (R-TN) on Monday following backlash over a Facebook post about the Obama daughters’ attire at the White House turkey pardon ceremony.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Also, allow me to give Elizabeth Lauten some advice. Lose some weight! Such a fatty at such a young age.

Amus
    Participant

I don’t think her previous transgression is an issue here.

I think she just got caught up in the right wing culture of hate, paid the price and truly regrets it.

skeptical
    Participant

I like how Social Media Justice Court can be swift and effective.

Now if we could only figure out how we can get this court to dole out harsh sentences for Wall street and other big-business a-holes/individuals.

Brianl
    Participant

If she wanted to criticize Obama, that’s one thing. He’s in that position.

His teenage daughters, on the other hand, should be off-limits. Unacceptable.

And Vit – you’re no better than her when you go off on her being a “fatty”.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Brian, I was just offering her some unsolicited advice…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.