Glenn Frey dies at 67

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    paulwalker
    Participant

It has been a rough January for rock and roll, with David Bowie passing, and today Glenn Frey, from arthritis, colitis, and pneumonia following surgery for colitis.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Bummer. I never saw the Eagles in concert and now I never will.

This is why for 2016 the following are on the docket: Iron Maiden, Journey, Doobie Brothers, The Who, Black Sabbath, and hopefully Gun’s N’ Fuckin’ Roses!!!

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Here’s a post from the Eagles web site.

Listen to the song they posted by Frey, it was so appropriate.

And for Vit, I hope your 2016 concert wish comes true.

paulwalker
    Participant

Memories…

Going way back to ’72, I was 12 and had a cassette recorder and started to record KJR and KING (perhaps a prelude to my later career, duh!). I recorded and still have an ad for Jethro Tull featuring Eagles, as the opening act. Yes, they were noted as just “Eagles”, not “The Eagles” in this spot.

Later, I remember “One Of These Nights” as the perfect summertime hit in ’75. Killer intro, great harmony, great vocals, just a smash all around.

Then when Hotel California came out, the band had evolved, and Joe Walsh added a rock edge, with “Life In The Fastlane”, one for the ages.

Glenn was there all the while. Both Glenn and Don Henley had success as solo artists, but the Eagles were tops in the 70’s, right up there with Fleetwood Mac.

Dxer1969
    Participant

@ Paul. Indeed it has been a tragic month for icons of music. Glenn Frey? This may take awhile. He sang on the Eagles first hit, Take it easy. A perfect Glenn Frey song and like One Of These Nights, A perfect summer song. In 1972 in this case.Know where you are coming from, my friend. Will post more after I collect my thoughts.

Andy Brown
    Participant

“Buffin,” the original drummer for Mott The Hoople died today, too.
    He drummed for Bowie as well.

Enough.

That’s 3 and we’re done for a while.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/mott-the-hoople-dale-griffin-dies/

Dxer1969
    Participant

Where can you start here. Glenn Frey. An original member of the Eagles and a main song writer and lead vocalist. I liked him! And I liked all of his music. But, I made a post earlier. Saying that even I got tired of listening to Boston, Eagles, and the 70′ s music ad nauseum. Now, Glenn, he didn’t do just Eagles music. He had a successful solo career and a stint on the telly! Yep, he was good. Liked his soundtrack music the best, truth be told. Sorry that he too has passed on.Naw, you don’t hear The Heat is on, Smugglers Blues, You belong to the city, and True Love on classic rock radio. Maybe now, these songs will receive airplay.

radiodork
    Spectator

Loved Glenn Frey in the TV show Miami Vice. In honor of his death i was listening to Eagles of Death Metal,not a fan of the Eagles(sorry). RIP Glenn Frey. Too many rock stars have been dying lately….Not cool!

Dxer1969
    Participant

Let’s hope so, Andy. This is getting too weird. Thank you for the video clip. Wish I could do that, but at this time, I cannot. Beyond me. Sad to say. Grand kids help me out in these matters. Next time you see my sorry ass send a video, Thank the grand kids, not me.

Dxer1969
    Participant

@ Radio D. You make a good point. Yes! The Eagles were way overplayed. I understand that. It was why I made that post. But still, Glenn passed. My roommates and I listened to only Glenn Frey’ s Eagles songs, and his solo material too. Drank some wine, listened to tunes, got off early cuz of MLK. All good. Had a nice night. Appreciate all the good music Glenn put out there! Enough said.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.