Gerald Gaule on the air again

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  nosignalallnoise 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

Gerald Gaule was on KGW showing his studio for a kind of radio reading service in Vancouver. It’s called CGR.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Is a broadcast radio reading service even relevant these days? Blind accessibility is improving on the network and newspapers are increasingly posting their content to the World Wide Web and speech synthesis is drastically better than what it was even just a few years ago. Talking books can be easily downloaded and ingested on-demand from varoius sites (archive.org; Audible) either in audio, DAISY or audio/DAISY hybrid form, and you may know about BARD. Handicap accessibility on cell phones is what it is, but I guess it’s improving (can’t say because I don’t have one and don’t use one but I know blind people who do).

With broadcast/streamed reading services actually shutting down and nothing stepping in to directly replace them (locally, look at what happened to WTBBL Evergreen RRS several years ago and Omni late last year) it seems he’s a few years late to the party, either that or he just has some desire to run a very, very legacy service for some reason. (It’s Gerry Gaule; he has done stranger things. Ever seen his Web site?) Well, to each his own. Does he intend his service to be a replacement for Golden Hours or ?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.