Gene Still Former Newscaster & Deejay Dies at 73

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Gene Still Former Newscaster & Deejay Dies at 73

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Craig_Adams
    Participant

Gene Still was heard on KOIN Radio as a Newscaster from 1967 to 1976, also hosted KOIN’s Sunday night public affairs program “Dialog with Gene Still.” From 1976 to 1977 he hosted a KOIN-FM disc jockey show Saturdays 4:00pm to 7:00pm “Jazz Concert with Gene Still.” From 1981 to 1985 Gene was heard on the KBPS program “Still Playing That Jazz” Friday nights 7:00pm to 10:00pm.

Oregonian obit:
    http://obits.oregonlive.com/obituaries/oregon/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=175466958

semoochie
    Participant

I’ve never had a very clear idea of what went on at KOIN and have always regretted it. It all came to a crashing end in 1977. 🙁

tombrooks
    Participant

Smoothie….the part I could see was it being setup and sold to Gaylord Broadcasting out of Oklahoma city… Kind of a haze to me as well…I was there under PD Mike Davis…whom nobody seems to know where he is…..I just remember that crazy guard we had…that I’m certain was drinking on th e job…

semoochie
    Participant

Smoothie? That’s actually on the very tail end. It was a personality AC by then, not too dissimilar to KEX but before that, as the old line CBS station with its own orchestra until 1972, that must have been something! I’m just sorry I didn’t think to listen.

warner
    Participant

Gene was a very nice guy and knew his stuff. I interned at his agency while finishing at MHCC. He then helped me put together my audition tape, and gave me lots of insider tips.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.