Gary Owens Obit

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    duxrule
    Participant

Gary Owens, Announcer of ‘Laugh-In’ Fame, Dies at 80

“Radio, TV and voiceover performer Gary Owens died on Feb. 12 at his home in the Encino neighborhood of Los Angeles. Owens, who was 80, had been a diabetic since the age of 8.

Owens was probably best known as the announcer on NBC’s “Rowan and Martin’s Laugh-In” (1968-73), with his trademark hand-over-the-ear announcing style. On the show, John Wayne once imitated Owens announcing. The phrase Gary created on his KMPC radio show, “Beautiful downtown Burbank,” later became a nightly catchphrase on Johnny Carson’s “Tonight Show.”

Owens also lent his voice to more than 3,000 cartoons, providing the voice of “Space Ghost” as well as Blue Falcon, Roger Ramjet, Powdered Toast Man and even Batman. He was animated as himself in “Garfield and Friends,” “The Fantastic Four,” “Eek the Cat” and “Bobby’s World.”
    http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/gary-owens-announcer-of-laugh-in-fame-dies-at-80-1201433731/

paulwalker
    Participant

Southern Californians will also remember him for his radio shows, first on KFWD, then more than two decades at the then great KMPC 710.

Waynes World
    Participant

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/02/14/laugh-in-announcer-gary-owens-dies-at-80/?intcmp=features

Sock it to me? of course he was the announcer on Laugh in with Dan Rowan (my mom’s former classmate) and Dick Martin!. Gary had suffered from diabetes for years

paulwalker
    Participant

Another thread already started on the Politics side, but as I mentioned in that other thread , he had a great career in radio as well. This is the closest radio or politics/other subjects I have ever seen here. However since he never worked in radio anywhere near Portland, it probably belongs in “Politics and Other”. Dan can merge or do what he wants…
    {now merged here, -d.p.}

BTW, his radio shows combined that fantastic voice with very irreverent content, sometimes making no sense at all, which was one of his charms on the air. Probably why he was one of the best in L.A. for over 20 years!

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

The late Ted Rogers worked with Gary in Denver early on in Ted’s career. Ted had lots of good things to say about the man.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.