Gallup: Life got better for pretty much everyone under Obama

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Gallup: Life got better for pretty much everyone under Obama

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Vitalogy
    Participant

Suck it Obama haters!!!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/08/31/gallup-life-got-better-for-pretty-much-everyone-under-obama/?tid=sm_fb

How Americans feel about the state of their lives have improved markedly in the eight years since Barack Obama was elected president, according to Gallup data released Tuesday.

In 2008, fewer than half of Americans said their life was good enough to be considered “thriving,” according to Gallup. But that’s changed: “The 55.4% who are thriving so far in 2016 is on pace to be the highest recorded in the nine years Gallup and Healthways have tracked it,” according to the report.

Not only that, members of each ethnic or racial group in Gallup’s study feel better about their lives.

“The percentages of U.S. whites, blacks, Hispanics and Asians who are thriving have all increased during the Obama era,” Gallup notes. The percentage of blacks thriving has risen by about 6 points, as has the percentage of whites and Hispanics. Asian thriving has risen by about 10 points since 2008.

We had a major recession in 2008.

Recessions and recoveries come and go.

Obama came in at the bottom. Of course things would get better. He didn’t build that and deserves NO credit for our very weak recovery (but maybe some blame for its weakness).

Andy Brown
    Participant

“We had a major recession in 2008.”

Brilliant observation. Did you have to go to community college to figure that out?

“Recessions and recoveries come and go.”

Wow. Advanced physics. I’m impressed.

“our very weak recovery”

Well, you got that part wrong but your first two observations are absolutely correct. Congratulations.

Unfortunately your assessment of the recovery is completely wrong.

America’s economy gets a bad rap these days, thanks in no small part to Republican politicians’ constant smears and insults.

“This is the worst recovery after a deep recession since World War II,” declared Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) on Fox Business Network on Tuesday. He’s used similar language on CNBC, PBS, Fox News and other outlets in recent days, as have other conservative commentators.

This data point, Republicans claim, is an indictment of the Obama administration. It’s also supposed to persuade voters to hold their noses and rally around the GOP’s bigoted new standard-bearer and the alternative economic vision he supposedly represents.

Except this assessment of our economy is completely wrong. Or at the very least, highly misleading.

In fact, if you go by the historical record, we may have exceeded expectations for where we should be this many years after a severe financial crisis. And relative to most other countries that weathered a crisis when we did, we’re doing spectacularly well.

The United States was one of 12 countries that suffered a systemic financial crisis in 2007-2008. Of that dozen, only three others have since recovered all the territory they lost in the crisis: Germany, Ireland and Britain. The IMF forecasts that two more will recapture their pre-crisis peaks this year, and several more will do so in the next few years. Three countries — Greece, Italy and Ukraine — were so scarred by the crisis that forecasts going all the way out to 2021 still don’t show them regaining their lost ground.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/opinion/20160613/rampell-post-crisis-economic-recovery-is-a-sign-of-us-strength

So take your sour grapes and put them where the sun don’t shine.

Vitalogy
    Participant

“We had a major recession in 2008.”

Yes, thanks to the Bush/Cheney policies! Short memory??

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

Everything is not perfect for everyone = Obama is a disaster and the economy is terrible.

The GOP: Living in an alternative reality bubble since 1980.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

The following clearly falls under the category of piling on, if not outright taunting. Generally speaking, I do not engage in either behavior with even infrequent regularity among the vast (vast) majority of persons I come into contact with personally or professionally.

It’s a measure of the level of disdain, and oftentimes outright contempt, I have for a number of lying, hypocritical, bigoted, ignorant, or not outright stupid people that creep among the fringes of this forum that I’m now going to do just that.

Consider: Taking into account the “blue wall”, meaning states and their attendant electoral votes that are completely guaranteed to pull the lever for Hillary Clinton this November, and she’s already on the cusp of 270 electoral votes and the presidency. Add in only Pennsylvania and New Hampshire, toss away every other swing state to Donald Trump, and she still wins the presidency.

Have a nice weekend.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

The rhetoric regarding this election has hit a level of desperation and weirdness that I could not have pictured just a few years ago. I say this as an honest observation and not as an attempt to taunt anyone. Much of what I am hearing is xenophobic.

Yesterday, I heard a woman on AM 1640 warning listeners that images of happy immigrants were incorrect were a falsehood sold to Americans who live in neighborhoods where immigrants are not a majority group. She cautioned that something needs to be done about immigrants who see the US as a big paycheck and who displace American workers in collecting that check. The host of the program actually challenged her about how she would go about deporting the estimated 8 million people who are here by non-legal means. After a break, I heard the woman re-introduced as Ann Coulter. Ann Coulter’s schtick is that she is part Chicken Little, part carnival barker, so some of my surprise faded.

However, this morning, I heard on KPAM that the head of a group called Latinos for Trump warned that if Trump doesn’t win, there will be “Taco trucks on every corner.” Perhaps, that was a reaction to the recent resignation of several Latinos from the Trump campaign. Nonetheless, this xenophobic remark really had me beside myself. [For the record, there is one block near my home in Hillsboro that is now regularly home to three mobile taquerias. Eat your heart out!]

Ann Coulter is very funny. One of my favorites:

“If John Kerry had a dollar for every time he bragged about serving in Vietnam — oh wait, he does.”

It’s interesting how in some circles the terms “immigration” and “illegal immigration” have come to mean the same thing, as if opposing the latter is “xenophobic.”

Consider: Taking into account the “blue wall”, meaning states and their attendant electoral votes that are completely guaranteed to pull the lever for Hillary Clinton this November, and she’s already on the cusp of 270 electoral votes and the presidency. Add in only Pennsylvania and New Hampshire, toss away every other swing state to Donald Trump, and she still wins the presidency.

Meanwhile the “drip drip drip” of evidence of Clinton greed and corruption continues to have an effect, without any aid from the vast right wing conspiracy. Hillary remains in hiding and has not given a press conference for how long? How presidential is she looking?

On the other hand, Trump is acting like a president and continues to gain in the polls. Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Virginia are very much in play. Real Clear Politics has turned several “likely Clinton” states to “tossups.” It’s trending Trump at the moment, and I expect that will continue.

Andy Brown
    Participant

That is what people like you in the bubble think is reality.

Hint: It’s not.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

I just returned this afternoon from a week camping at the coast. Way, way out in the sticks, no 80211 nearby, no broadcast radio reception at all, nearest cell phone site was 15 miles away in Westport. I didn’t miss any of this childish political infighting at all.

God it sucks to be back…

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

You’re a delight. Thanks for sharing.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

And keep on ignoring that electoral math, Pope Bacon.

Facts are for liberals.

I’m very familiar with the electoral map, the national polls, and the state polls.

Based on my careful analysis and insightful interpretation of the national polls, this is race is about tied. Hillary at best has a 2 point lead. If the polling trend continues and Trump moves to a two point lead and keeps it, then he’s going to win some states that you’ve already locked away in the blue column, and will decisively win the electoral vote.

And lest you have forgotten…wiki-leaks looms ominously on the horizon…

edselehr
    Participant

“I’m smellin’ a lotta ‘if’ comin’ off this plan.”

-Jayne, “Firefly”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.