FWD “Friends With Differencces”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Darktemper
    Participant

Interesting Article

Are you guilty of political profiling? To some degree we all are – and it’s getting worse.
    What do I mean? Political profiling involves making snap judgements on where a person falls on the political spectrum.
    This assessment (or guess) is then used to decide how we relate to that human being. The implications can be enormous, particularly if that person is “Judged” to be on the “other side.”
    While this process reduces the chance of an awkward discussion or disagreement, it does so at a profound cost. The opportunity for mind-expanding debates is lost, common ground disappears and life changing friendships are forgone.
    So what can we do about it?
    We’re not suggesting you embrace every political third rail with Uncle Larry at your next family gathering. But it can be a powerful experience to reach out to a “friend with differences.”
    Your FWD, or “friend with differences,” doesn’t need to be a polar opposite in every respect, just someone you know who sees the world differently.
    Giving them a call, or inviting them out for coffee or a beer, can be a deeply rewarding experience. Respectfully exploring diverse perspectives can open minds and hearts in a way our country desperately needs.
    The fact is, it’s possible to both honor differences and celebrate common ground if we’re willing to make ourselves just a little vulnerable.
    It’s time we set an example for our elected officials by walking the walk instead of just wagging our fingers.

Political Profiling has the same effect as Racial Profiling, It divides people based on their political choice the same way people are divided by their race.

Last I knew America was “One Nation Under GOD” not one nation under race, religion, or political choice.

semoochie
    Participant

You are absolutely right and it is exactly what Trump wants, to normalize his immoral and often illegal activity! Four more years of this will make us long for the last four years! Did you see the letter to Twitter, begging them to stop Trump’s lies about the man’s dead wife, who Trump was using for political gain by accusing Joe Scarborough of killing her? “The medical examiner assigned to the case determined that Klausutis had fainted as a result of an abnormal heart rhythm, which caused her to fall and hit her head on a desk. Moreover, Klausutis had apparently complained to a colleague earlier in the day that she had not been feeling well.” This is the Fox News report!

missing_kskd
    Participant

Hey Dark, nice post. 😀

Brianl
    Participant

Dark!!

I agree with your assessment of “one country, under God” aspect … with a caveat.

We have no choice on our race or sexuality. We do have a choice in our religion and political identity.

As a general rule, I have no problem with people of faith, no matter the faith. I also don’t have issue with those of differing viewpoints.

What I DO have issue with is when people use those views as a crutch, a justification, to harm others. If someone is openly racist, homophobic, anti-Semitic, etc. … that’s a choice. And I practice my choice of disassociating with them.

One of my best friends is very conservative. Trump supporter. We differ greatly politically. We also have enough respect for each other to not discuss politics. It’s respectful.

Others don’t do that, and I have no room for them in my life.

Does that make me bad? Maybe. But there are principles I will not break.

Darktemper
    Participant

Brian

missing_kskd
    Participant

Word Brian!

That is the best way to play it. Over the last several years, I have seen good people I have known for years support Trump.

That is hard to process.

So what I did was ask them why. Those answers are not pretty.

Brianl
    Participant

Missing – I have yet to hear a legitimate reason for Trump. I look at all the noise surrounding him, and it makes it impossible to justify him in any way.

But, there are believers. Even those who hold their nose and do so, like Deane.

Darktemper
    Participant

A great president once said…..
    “If we ever forget that we’re one nation under god, then we will be a nation gone under”

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Darktemper. Reason: typo
    Darktemper
    Participant

Lets try something……..

I will pick a person and if you want to, describe that person in 100 words or less.

That person is Jimmy Carter

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Darktemper. Reason: typing
    Brianl
    Participant

Jimmy Carter:

Quite possibly, the most humanitarian ex-president we have ever had. He has done so much to help those who need help the most.

He was an ineffective president, but a tremendous leader.

Darktemper
    Participant

Two or three more replies and I will explain where I am going with this.

Whose nest? Don’t be shy. Speak up!

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

To answer Dark’s question.

Jimmy Carter was the first president I voted for even though I was a registered Republican. I was pretty young and politically ignorant. I think he was underrated as a president and extraordinarily brilliant and really didn’t get a chance to show his presidential credentials. He was also the first modern day American president to get the support of the religious right because he mentioned his faith as part of his thought process. However, the religious right dumped him for Reagan.

In other information related to this topic, which I’ve shared before, there is a national non-profit organization I’ve been a member of since it’s inception that is constantly working on the political discussion between reds and blues called, Braver Angels.

Darktemper
    Participant

I picked Jimmy Carter because all some people remember was his lackluster Presidency.

Jimmy Carter was less than effective during his four-year term as president but you need to look at the man, his history, and the things he accomplished after serving as President. Jimmy Carter was a distinguished member of the navy. He actually served under Admiral Rickover who was considered to be the father of the nuclear navy.

President James Earl “Jimmy” Carter graduated from the Naval Academy in 1946 with distinction, after which he was assigned to USS Wyoming (E-AG 17) as an ensign. After completing two years of surface ship duty, Carter applied for submarine duty. He served as executive officer, engineering officer, and electronics repair officer on the submarine SSK-1. When Admiral Hyman G. Rickover (then a captain) started his program to create nuclear-powered submarines, Carter wanted to join the program and was interviewed and selected by Rickover. Carter was promoted to lieutenant and from 3 November 1952 to 1 March 1953, he served on temporary duty with the Naval Reactors Branch, U.S. Atomic Energy Commission, Washington, D.C., to assist “in the design and development of nuclear propulsion plants for naval vessels.” From 1 March to 8 October 1953, Carter was preparing to become the engineering officer for USS Seawolf (SSN-575), one of the first submarines to operate on atomic power. However, when his father died in July 1953 Carter resigned from the Navy and returned to Georgia to manage his family interests. Carter was honorably discharged on 9 October 1953 and transferred to the retired reserve at his request with the rank of lieutenant.
    The Seawolf-class submarine Jimmy Carter (SSN-23) is named for the 39th president.

He is the only President to serve that was Submarine-Qualified.

After his term as president he has gone on to fund a great many charities and organizations.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Darktemper.
    Andrew
    Participant

Jimmy Carter was a terrible president. This doesn’t reflect on his character – obviously, he has been probably the best ex-president America has ever had. But his ex-presidency has nothing to do with his four years as president. We should try not to confuse them.

If you think about it, the election of Jimmy Carter is almost as bizarre and unexpected as the election of Trump. Carter was a one-term Georgia governor – even his election as governor was improbable – who took advantage of an evolving Democratic primary system in 1976 to out-maneuver a lot of seasoned politicians who were heavily favored by pundits – remind you of 2016? Of course, Carter was not a loud-mouth p**sy-grabbing white supremacist assh**e like Trump clearly was in 2016, but Carter was barely more qualified to be president than Trump was in 2016.

Carter beat Ford in 1976 in a very close race, because of the terrible fallout for Republicans over the Watergate scandal, not to mention the usual pendulum swinging back toward the Democrats after eight years of Republican control of the White house. Carter was a breath of fresh air compared to all of the seasoned politicians people were tired of – sound familiar?

I was ridiculed recently on another forum for suggesting that Trump should be targeted to Republican voters as “your Jimmy Carter.” Whatever Carter’s ex-presidency has been, Republicans still remember him as even worse than he was – as some sort of weakling, ineffective president, the president who lectured more than led, who presided over a terrible economy that got worse on his watch: double-digit inflation and interest rates and gas lines along with nagging unemployment. Of course, most egregious to Republicans would be the failed rescue mission of US hostages in Iran, the ultimate symbol of American weakness.

To compare Carter to Trump in an ad (to Republicans – put up an ad on Fox News) would be the ultimate insult – and I think some Republicans would quietly agree that the comparison has some merit. At worst, you might discourage some Republican voters and get them to stay home on election day.

semoochie
    Participant

It was my feeling that Carter had good ideas but couldn’t get the cooperation of congress. That said, I wasn’t paying much attention.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.