Freeform Portland

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Andy Brown 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

jefforysimmons
    Participant

The amazing Dave Fulton put 90.3 on the air last night. An LPFM in North Portland that brings the freeform format back to #pdxradio. More at http://FreeformPortland.org

Andy Brown
    Participant

KFFP is on 98.3 and 90.3 is KFFD. http://tinyurl.com/hfb5wzr

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Brings the format back to what?

DarkStar
    Participant

I noticed that callsign/frequency issue too. Anyone heard the actual on-air id?

Andy Brown
    Participant

I listend to 90.3, supposedly on air in N. Portland, but all I heard was KWBX in Salem. I checked in several locations around SE Portland, all south of SE Powell. I also checked for anything on 98.3 and there was nothing but noise. That’s supposed to be over on the west side adjacent to Hiway 26 and I don’t expect to hear it over here in Sellwood.

semoochie
    Participant

I heard it playing “capture ratio tag” with the Mt. Hood station, as soon as I got to where the latter was blocked by Mt. Scott. I haven’t been far enough north, to where it really took over yet.

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

Andy Brown
    Participant

At least they got the frequency correct but did you notice they didn’t even mention the call letters?

The artwork is from the cover of Captain Beefheart’s album “Trout Mask Replica.” Probably used without permission.

This album is beyond bizarre. It is a brave soul who might air cuts from this double L.P. and hope there is anyone listening at all after a few minutes. I used to play ‘Hair Pie: Bake 2’ and ‘Old Fart At Play.’ Much of the album sounds a lot like really old Mothers Of Invention and rightfully so, Frank Zappa and his bandmates were a part of the recording and producing.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Why is it that the station’s official website doesn’t state its dial position?

Additionally, I notice that their schedule lists a full roster of air personalities. Where did they find them? When I was doing college radio in the mid 1990s, it was hard for us to fill all of the daytime slots, let alone overnights.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

For fun, I tried to see what I could receive on 90.3 from my location in Hillsboro. I receive either KXPC or KSLC. There is not a trace of KFFP.

I have gotten lucky with DX of low powered signals from the other side of the West Hills, but none are from the northern parts of Portland. KISN-LP is recently heard here. Years ago, I also ran across a Frank Sinatra playing pirate on 98.1 that made it all the way out here.

semoochie
    Participant

Driving back from work, I ran the length of the Banfield Freeway and was surprised how poorly this station came in. The map shows it at about 70dbu for awhile and the entire trip from NW Portland was nothing but mush, occasionally broken up by an instant of the Mt. Hood station. I’ll try again when I’m further north but what I’ve heard doesn’t seem too promising.

Andy Brown
    Participant

This is what happens when you have no height above average terrain. It’s also a good primer as to why locations with lots of HAAT have to roll back power. Remember, it’s about putting a field strength at a specific distance. Clearly the 90.3 signal is struggling to make 60 dBu at 5.6 km even with full allowable power.

This is happening not because 100 W at 10 m HAAT won’t produce the 1 mv/m at 3.5 miles, it can and it would but there are too many hazardous obstructions like buildings of concrete and steel that are as high as the radiation center. Then there is the Alameda ridge blocking propagation towards I-84. POORLY engineered IMO. They need to find a higher spot within 5.6 km minor change allowance or they are just whistling in the wind.

semoochie
    Participant

Not knowing exactly where the station’s transmitter was, I got off of I-5 and drove east on N/NE Killingsworth until I got to I-205. It never really came in really well anywhere and I thought I was still too far south. I first noticed actual co-channel interference shortly before 42nd Avenue and by 60th Avenue, no one would be listening unless they were trying to track the signal! I just checked the map and it shows the station on NE 13th and Alberta, which means I was five blocks from there. Despite facts to the contrary, I can’t imagine that having line-of-site to the interference can help very much. Compare this with KISN, that you can still hear to varying degrees all the way to Hillsboro!

Alfredo_T
    Participant

This sounds almost as bad as KRRC’s coverage used to be in some directions. I recall that the signal barely made it to parts of SE 39th, and it did not make it all the way to SE Powell Blvd.

semoochie
    Participant

I drove south on 15th Avenue and started getting co-channel interference at NE Tillamook. Two more directions to go; I’ll let you know.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.