Former U.S. Speaker Of The House Indicted

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Former U.S. Speaker Of The House Indicted

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

skeptical
    Participant

On the upside, Speaker Hastert has a strong legal case for the return of all his hush money.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

I don’t think it was the blackmailer who let the information out. I think it was the banking system that raised the question on his withdrawals and got the FBI involved.

It would seem that the blackmailer might now be subject to being charged with blackmail.

Vitalogy
    Participant

In this case, the banking system did what it is supposed to do and exposed a lawbreaker. Cash withdrawals of large amounts are almost 100% related to some kind of crime. And I would say it exposed TWO lawbreakers.

The “victim” in this case should no longer be looked at as a victim. He should be arrested as well. If he was a true victim he should have pursued the avenue of law rather than blackmailing somone for millions.

And how ironic that “Denny” was brought in as a squeeky clean guy to lead the GOP after many other scandals within their ranks. Turns out he’s the dirtiest of all. Abusing a child as a coach and paying him off in cash.

Vitalogy
    Participant

And then there’s this creepy C-Span call.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/this-unnerving-c-span-call-to-dennis-hastert-makes-his-indictment-quite-interesting/

The former Republican lawmaker was charged yesterday of attempting to structure nearly a million dollars in cash withdrawals to avoid reporting them to the IRS, as well as lying to the FBI when questioned about the nature of the withdrawals. According to the indictment, he had agreed to pay an unknown individual $3.5 million “in order to compensate for and conceal his prior misconduct,” and that the person, named as “Individual A,” was someone from Yorkville, Il., who’d known Hastert for “most of Individual A’s life.”

Observers quickly noted that the official indictment went out of its way to identify Hastert’s former job as a high school teacher and wrestling coach in Yorkville, where he worked between 1965 to 1981. BuzzFeed spoke to one of Hastert’s colleagues, former Yorktown High School teacher Maria Steiner, who observed that Hastert was more focused on his work as a wrestling coach than teaching. “He would show movies in his class while he worked on wrestling stuff,” she recalled.

And then this video popped up from Hastert’s Nov. 13, 2014 appearance on C-SPAN’s Washington Journal, in which a man identifying himself as “Bruce” asked Hastert: “Do you remember me from Yorkville?” He then cackled and hung up, leaving Hastert visibly uncomfortable. (The indictment said that Individual A had started meeting Hastert in 2010, and Hastert started making payments to that individual shortly thereafter.)

Vitalogy
    Participant

Also, let it be known, Denny is Herb’s kind of guy.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

I’m thinking this person may have been a consenting adult at the time who saw an opportunity to make money with blackmail. If he had been underage, this would probably have taken a different turn. Hastert isn’t charged with anything sexual, only lying to the FBI and improper money withdrawal.

paulwalker
    Participant

From my understanding, this is true as the statute of limitations is long gone on the alleged sexual misconduct. I have yet to see a report on the age of the victim. If he was in High School he likely was under 18, but not for certain. For example, I graduated high school at age 17, but just a month before my 18th birthday. There is a percentage of high school seniors who are 18 when they graduate. I suppose there are a percentage of high school graduates 18+ who blackmail as well, but that is all water under the bridge.

But, yes Hastert will be tried on lying to the FBI, and such and that is it. Another Illinois politician shamed.

skeptical
    Participant

Now, with Newt, Jim Livingson and Hastert all caught having affairs, Bill Clinton is having the last laugh at the masterminds of the Clinton impeachment movement.

Man, the Republican party just oozes sleaze every time you look at them.

skeptical
    Participant

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.