Former U.S. Speaker Of The House Indicted

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Former U.S. Speaker Of The House Indicted

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

Former U.S. House of Representatives Speaker Dennis Hastert was indicted on Thursday on federal charges, including for lying to the FBI, relating to an alleged effort to hide $3.5 million in payments to a person to conceal past misconduct.

The Illinois Republican, who left office in 2007, was charged with structuring the withdrawal of $952,000 in cash in order to evade the requirement that banks report cash transactions over $10,000, and lying to the FBI about his withdrawals, the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Chicago said.

Each count of the two-count indictment carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Amus
    Participant

Past misconduct.
    Former wrestling coach.

Just wild speculation.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

Hang the bastard.

edselehr
    Participant

If that’s your answer to Republican malfeasance Deane, then we’ll have a Democratic congressional majority pretty quickly.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

I will admit that the Clintons are far more skilled at hiding their shenanigans than some of the Republicans are.

Langston
    Participant

He should follow Perry’s lead and now run for the presidential nomination.

skeptical
    Participant

I wonder what’s stopping Tom DeLay? He ought to be a great addition to the GOP clown bus.

Vitalogy
    Participant
    paulwalker
    Participant

What? Corruption from a politician from Illinois? Come on…

Seriously, 4 out of the last 7 Illinois governors were were convicted and imprisoned.

Vitalogy
    Participant

This is more than corruption. The corruption occured to hide past sex crimes. Watch as the onion continiues to get peeled away on this one. Ouch.

Amus
    Participant

I take no particular pride in it.

It’s sad for everyone.

But even the victim in this case opted to go the blackmail route instead of going to the authorities.

Why would anyone with skeletons in the closet go into politics anyhow!

paulwalker
    Participant

You guys apparently have it right, as the mainstream media is picking up the story today. Yes, it is worse than corruption, however, the corruption part of is still there in one form, that he tried to hide it. But the worst part of this is, of course, child abuse, (although do we know the blackmailer was below the age of 18?…an important legal definition.)

I, too, find someone who blackmails a public figure to be less than ideal. However, the “student” is still the victim here.

My bigger point was that Illinois has a long history of crooked politicians. This adds on, but certainly in a different definition.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Seriously.

I feel the same way about it.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

I thought about posting yesterday that the ingredients in this could only add up to something sexual, either with a male, or an underage girl.

paulwalker
    Participant

Whether it is a boy or girl shouldn’t matter, but it does to some. However, his sexual orientation is not the real issue here. Unfortunately, many will make it that, but it isn’t, except for perhaps his wife and family. But that is none of our G.D. business!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.