Former PDX sportscaster Cowherd is out at ESPN

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Former PDX sportscaster Cowherd is out at ESPN

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    paulwalker
    Participant

Not clear on whether he was pushed out, or he voluntarily is leaving for a better gig, but ESPN continues to cut its radio staff. Colin was never my cup of tea, but he somehow had a way of making you come back for more. His repeating his thoughts over and over drove me nuts, but he does offer a different context to sports that is not often heard. Will be interesting where he ends up.

duxrule
    Participant

Losing Cowherd can’t happen soon enough, IMO.

duxrule
    Participant

Variety has this piece on his departure, and I remember hearing something yesterday that he’s heading to Fox. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/colin-cowherd-is-latest-top-name-to-depart-espn-1201541576/

Brianl
    Participant

I’m not sure what ESPN is doing, but they are cutting all over the map. Olbermann is gone (again), Simmons burnt that bridge when ESPN slapped his wrist for his anti-Roger Goodell comments (which, BTW, were spot-on), and now Colin. The writing has been on the wall for a while; some time back, Colin railed against ESPN manqement, saying that if they took to covering gaming (the online version) and doing PxP of it, he would quit and would refuse to work for anyone who covers it.

Colin isn’t for everyone. He is combative, abrasive, and as someone who worked with him, I can say he can be a handful to work with. That said, he is extremely talented, and more often than not, he is right in his assessments of things. He drives interest and incites a call to action, which is what drives the bus on talk radio.

I won’t most likely follow him to Fox Sports, as I find their radio programming completely unlistenable.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

Colin Cowherd Dropped Early By ESPN Radio After Comments About Dominican Baseball Players

COLIN COWHERD has been taken off the air early by ESPN after comments he made about Dominican baseball players touched off a controversy. COWHERD, who had announced that he would leave ESPN RADIO and ESPN television at the end of the month, was taken off the air after TODAY’s show. The network issued a statement reading, “COLIN COWHERD’s comments over the past two days do not reflect the values of ESPN or our employees. COLIN will no longer appear on ESPN.”

On THURSDAY’s show, while talking about BILL SIMMONS joining HBO, COWHERD ended up talking about the complexity of baseball, or lack thereof, saying, “‘Baseball’s too complex.’ Really? A third of the sport is from the DOMINICAN REPUBLIC. The DOMINICAN REPUBLIC is not been known, in my lifetime, as having, you know, world-class academic abilities. I mean, a lot of those kids come from rough backgrounds, and have not had opportunities academically that other kids from other countries have. Baseball’s like any sport. It’s mostly instincts.” The actual percentage of players in MLB who are Dominican is much lower than COWHERD’s one-third estimate.

On FRIDAY’s show, after the MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL PLAYERS ASSOCIATION and TORONTO BLUE JAYS slugger JOSE BAUTISTA expressed anger over the comments, COWHERD defended himself by saying that DEADSPIN, which posted a clip of the initial comments, had edited the audio and video of the segment to 16 seconds out of 57 and took a shot at DEADSPIN parent GAWKER MEDIA for its recent legal troubles with HULK HOGAN.

Late FRIDAY, ESPN pulled the plug on COWHERD’s show after the baseball union issued a statement condemning the remarks as “inappropriate, offensive and completely inconsistent with the values of our game. Mr. COWHERD owes our players of Dominican origin, and Dominican people generally, an apology.”

And late FRIDAY, COWHERD tweeted an apology, writing, “I did not intend to offend anyone w my comments. I realize my choice of words was poor and not reflective of who I am. I am sorry.”

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

Workhouse Media’s John McConnell Gets Props From Colin Cowherd

Former ABC RADIO NETWORK executive JOHN MCCONNELL got a nice shout-out from COLIN COWHERD during COWHERD’s discussion WEDNESDAY (7/22) of his decision to leave ESPN RADIO (NET NEWS 7/22).

COWHERD told listeners of how he was plucked from ENTERCOM Sports KFXX-A (THE FAN)/PORTLAND to replace TONY KORNHEISER on the national sports talk network, crediting MCCONNELL for the discovery. “Nobody had heard of me,” COWHERD said. “A guy flew into PORTLAND, we got a rare snowstorm, and he was stuck there for four days. JOHN MCCONNELL listened to me and he recommended me, and it’s been the best 10 years of my life.”

MCCONNELL is now EVP at PAUL B. ANDERSON’s talent and content management firm WORKHOUSE MEDIA.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

Colin Cowherd Confirms Move To Fox Sports, Radio Show Launching September 8th

COLIN COWHERD confirmed his move to FOX SPORTS in an interview to appear in the AUGUST 21st issue of THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER, saying that he will be launching his new radio show and FOX SPORTS 1 TV simulcast from the FOX lot in LOS ANGELES’ CENTURY CITY in early SEPTEMBER and will likely get a nightly TV show on FS1 as well.

And shortly after the article hit the web, PREMIERE NETWORKS and FOX SPORTS confirmed that COWHERD’s “THE HERD” show will debut SEPTEMBER 8th noon-3p (ET) weekdays via FOX SPORTS RADIO and FOX SPORTS 1. COWHERD will also join “FOX NFL KICKOFF,” the pre-pre-game football show which is moving from FS1 to the broadcast FOX TV network this FALL, and will be part of the FS1 coverage of the MICHIGAN-UTAH college football season opener on SEPTEMBER 3rd.

In the official release, COWHERD said, “It’s hard to put into words how much fun it is for me, as a broadcaster, to build something with really smart, talented people. I can’t wait for this next chapter in my career to start. FOX SPORTS is the perfect spot for me at this time in my life.”

FOX SPORTS National Networks President JAMIE HOROWITZ said, “COLIN is the first person I hired for my first daily studio show at ESPN (SPORTSNATION, in 2009), so it’s fitting that he’s the first one I’m hiring at FS1. COLIN is a unique voice in sports media with a loyal following of fans, and we’re looking forward to building our daytime programming around him.”

PREMIERE President JULIE TALBOTT said, “COLIN is one of the most powerful and talented personalities in sports media today, and his addition to PREMIERE’s lineup demonstrates our continued commitment to reaching diverse audiences with the best talent the industry has to offer. We’re excited to join with FOX SPORTS in bringing COLIN’s passionate and engaging brand of sports entertainment to millions of people across multiple platforms. By leveraging our combined reach, we’ll have the opportunity to connect with more sports fans than ever before, while delivering unmatched results for our partners.”

FOX SPORTS RADIO will continue to feed RICH EISEN’s show in the same slot as COWHERD’s, with affiliates able to opt for either show. On the TV side, the current FS1/FS2 simulcast of MIKE FRANCESA’s show with CBS RADIO Sports WFAN-A-F/NEW YORK will move to FS2.

In the THR interview, COWHERD, who departed ESPN last month a week earlier than anticipated after his comments on Dominican baseball players led that network to abruptly drop his radio show and TV simulcast, said that the decision to leave ESPN was his own, citing MIAMI HEAT executive and former coach PAT RILEY’s comment that “Every 10 years you should probably change jobs.” He said that his choice was to stay at ESPN or “go to a fledgling, young network with an open canvas that is really interested in doing new things.” He said that the incident that ended his ESPN tenure was because “I chose my words very poorly. I made a mistake.”

And on rumors that he planned to leave sports and do a political show, he said, “It was never factual but it gained traction because I talk about politics. I did interviews with MSNBC and CNN, but there was no traction. Political radio is often angry. I’m not angry. I like to laugh. I want to be funny and interesting and compelling. You have to know what you are and what you’re not. And I’m not a politico.”

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.