Former KKEY tower site to be dismantled by the end of April

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Former KKEY tower site to be dismantled by the end of April

Tagged: 

This topic contains 74 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Craig_Adams 1 year ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Author

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Thanks for the update.

Zander
    Participant

The tower was taken down by crane today starting at 10:34a and on the ground in eight minutes. Buckled half way down the tower as the crane started to lay it down. The tower occupied the site for 63 years.

The developer is going to make end tables out of parts of the tower to be used around the pool area of the apartments that are going to be built on the site.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I’m glad that pieces of the tower will live on, in a way.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Thanks for the post!

Zander
    Participant

boisebill
    Participant

Is there a non-Google account link?

washnotore
    Participant

Did some you tube tweaking and came up with this.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Thanks for posting the video of the tower removal. I had always wondered how it’s done using a crane. I was amazed by the speed of this removal.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Only fast because it’s scrap. Had it been scheduled for repurposing at another site it would have been a vastly different scenario.

e_dawg
    Participant

Where will 1150am move to?

Andy Brown
    Participant

Discussed previously in the thread. It’s temporary home is 5110 SE STARK STREET at Bustos HQ. Technically, they have applied for an STA to operate from there and their application for STA has been Accepted For Filing but not granted, so any operations from there are not yet authorized.

http://bit.ly/2uOAEtt

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I wonder, with a tower this old, would re-purposing have been possible? Or, would it be difficult to impossible to separate the sections due to corrosion?

Some time ago, I watched a video of a demolition of a large AM radio tower in Hawaii (used at 550 kHz). This tower had to be scrapped because corrosion had made it unsafe. To my surprise, this tower was not very old; it had been erected in the mid 1990s. The video explained that the salty ocean air found in Hawaii causes radio towers to corrode quickly.

boisebill
    Participant

Taking a tower down is really expensive.
    Only reason you’d dismantle instead of drop would be safety reasons.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  boisebill.

Zander
    Participant

The former 1150 Studio & Transmitter building at the Fourth Plain site was demolished October 3rd thu the 6th. The demo crew stated it took twice as long as they thought it would take because the building was built so solid. (Mostly concrete construction)

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Thanks for posting!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.