Former KKEY tower site to be dismantled by the end of April

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Former KKEY tower site to be dismantled by the end of April

Tagged: 

This topic contains 74 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Craig_Adams 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)
  • Author

Broadway
    Participant

The demo drop of KCCS in Salem in early 2000’s of their 203 foot stick yielded them just $18 in scrap metal and the top beacon shattered into little pieces upon impact. Side markers were salvaged.

Andy Brown
    Participant

If you mean net profit after demolition and transportation to the scrap yard costs, that’s believable. The steel would be worth a lot more then $18, currently around 130+ bucks a ton. A Rohn 45G 10′ tower section weighs about 70 lbs. 20 sections plus nuts and bolts – close to a ton at least.

washnotore
    Participant

Any property that is going to be fully build out. Will always have to deal with this from local government.

Not wanting to sound to political here…

The city of Vancouver has changed over to e-permit system starting in June.

No matter how the final plans will look. There will always be some sort of gotcha. That the city planing office will change on it’s own.

Why would the city do this?

Because the goal of the city. Is to get more money from a development. Some of the changes that the city will do to the property. For example, in the areas of Landscaping, Public Art, Street Frontage, Transportation and Utilities.

A few years ago a local non profit was having trouble getting it’s property build up. The admin work was being slow, because the city stated. It did have the paper plans on files.

You would think someone in the planning office would keep paper work on hand. Until any given project was complete.

I’m done with my ranting…

semoochie
    Participant

I listened in the daytime and it sounded about the same as the previous evening. Assuming they still have it, that must be the 50 watt transmitter I heard. I believe they had to cut back to ten when they went back to a single tower so that must be what it was. Who says the 1920s are dead?

Zander
    Participant

Well, it’s official the tower will be taken down by crane on June 15th, just short of the July 4th anniversary of the station signing on the air in 1954, if the weather holds. Unfortunately I won’t be able to witness, planned to capture it on video, but I will be in Seattle on business.

Sad to see it go, grew up at that site.

RIP 1150

semoochie
    Participant

I listened again this evening and the signal seemed to go back and forth between barely there and loud and clear, mostly the latter! I don’t know what’s going on but when it came in, it sure didn’t sound like ten watts and it sure didn’t sound like that before, at which time, I could barely make it out. In both cases, this was between NW Portland and Clackamas, where it was sucked out by KEX.

Zander
    Participant

Semoochie – 1150 KGDD Portland is NOT on the air in any form from any location. All transmitters have been removed from the Fourth Plain site. You’re catching skywave from a different station.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

In the late afternoons, I hear a skywave signal with foreign language programming. I think that this could be KKNW Seattle.

Zander
    Participant

I may have spoken too soon, Bustos has filed an engineering STA:

KGDD’S TRANSMITTER SITE USE AGREEMENT HAS BEEN TERMINATED. IN ORDER TO KEEP THE STATION ON THE AIR UNTIL A NEW PERMANENT TRANSMITTER SITE CAN BE OBTAINED AND AN FCC APPLICATION GRANTED TO PERMIT USE OF SAID NEW SITE, THE LICENSEE HAS OBTAINED ‘TRAVELER’S INFORMATION STATION’ EQUIPMENT WHICH WILL BE OPERATED FROM ATOP THE ROOF OF THE HEADQUARTERS OF BUSTOS MEDIA HOLDINGS, LLC AT 5110 SE STARK STREET, PORTLAND, OREGON 97215.

THE PUBLIC INTEREST, CONVENIENCE AND NECESSITY WILL BE WELL SERVED BY A GRANT OF THIS STA REQUEST, WHICH WILL ALLOW KGDD TO CONTINUE TO SERVE THE PUBLIC WHILE A PERMANENT SITE IS OBTAINED.

THE ROOF OF OUR BUILDING IS 23 FEET (7.0 METERS) ABOVE GROUND LEVEL. THE EQUIPMENT IS TO BE LOCATED ON A BASE OF 3 FEET ABOVE THE ROOF LEVEL (0.9 METERS), AND THE WHIP ANTENNA OF THE STATION IS 18 FEET (5.5 METERS) TALL. THE OVERALL HEIGHT OF THE TIP OF THE ANTENNA ABOVE THE GROUND IS 44 FEET (13.4 METERS).

THE NUMERICAL INFORMATION IN THIS REQUEST HAS BEEN PROVIDED TO US BY CONSULTING RADIO ENGINEER BENJAMIN DAWSON OF HATFIELD AND DAWSON, SEATTLE, WASHINGTON, WHOSE QUALIFICATIONS ARE WELL KNOWN TO THE FCC.

I didn’t think you could move and operate at a new site, regardless of low power, without FCC approval. Maybe that’s what Semoochie heard? Or at least being tested?

semoochie
    Participant

That explains why it sounds so clear, when it didn’t before. I’m guessing that it’s still ten watts. By the way, this is not a test. It’s La Grande and I hear it anytime of day.

Broadway
    Participant

New way to “salvage” a station…wonder if this will create a pattern? It’s pretty cheap tower site rental!

Andy Brown
    Participant

They’ll end up diplexing it into the 910-1080 array or the 1330-1640 array or the 620-1190 array or the 860-1550 array, etc.

semoochie
    Participant

Broadway, it won’t be a pattern; it’s non-directional. 🙂 I don’t think it will be the 620/1190 array. How about KBPS? That should put 5mv/m into Portland.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I heard the temporary 1150 signal today, around 1-2 PM, simulcasting 93.5. I was in SW Portland, on Spring Garden Rd, near the I-5 overpass. I could also barely hear it at the Tigard Costco.

Zander
    Participant

The Tower removal has been delayed again due to poor weather conditions. Now likely the end of June early July.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.