Former KKEY tower site to be dismantled by the end of April

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Former KKEY tower site to be dismantled by the end of April

Tagged: 

This topic contains 93 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Naganuma 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 94 total)
  • Author

W7PAT
    Participant

Very sad Andy. I wish that the FCC would expand the FM dial but I fear that won’t happen. I do like the LP stations for small towns that don’t have any radio serving their community, but not in the metro areas. Only a few stations really serve the community, the rest are just jukeboxes.

semoochie
    Participant

I want to agree about LPFMs in small towns but then there’s Kisn. It’s been there for almost two years and I don’t listen all the time but when I do, I really enjoy it!

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Sadly, these days, the only radio station advertisements that I see on triMet vehicles are for KOPB. The only places that I see AM radio stations routinely advertised are in The Portland Tribune.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

The signal strength on 1150 kHz, as heard from Hillsboro, has been much weaker than normal for the last few days. Is the station transmitting from a backup location? Did they reduce power?

jr_tech
    Participant

Interesting…about 6 dB lower here, and also noticed KXPD is off the air. Nothing yet on the FCC site about changes to either station.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

On Saturday, during the thunder and hail storm, both KXPD and KBNP were off the air. I suspect at that time, there was a power failure at the shared tower site. Is KBNP off the air now? (I am in the RF attenuation bunker, so I can’t check.)

jr_tech
    Participant

1410 (KBNP) is on the air, 1040 (KXPD) is not.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I tuned in around 7:00 PM today, and 1150 was silent. A skywave signal with foreign language programming (Russian?) was starting to pop in.

Elsewhere on the dial, I noted that 1130 broadcasts C-QUAM AM stereo. I have been noting the pilot tone for a long time, but today, they were playing music, and I could hear some separation.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Do we know the date the old KKEY tower site was taken down?

semoochie
    Participant

I don’t think anyone said it was yet. Perhaps, someone in Vancouver can look out the window.

washnotore
    Participant

The tower is still standing… There is a lot of summer left..

semoochie
    Participant

I listened sometime after 8PM and heard Spanish music but atmospheric conditions were not conducive to a pleasant listening experience. I left the car radio on the station and will try tomorrow in the daylight.

Zander
    Participant

The transmitting equipment was removed from the site on 5/24. the tower was scheduled to come down next Tuesday the May 30th, however due to delays in obtaining demo permits from the city of Vancouver the removal has been put off.

The Tower was originally going to be destructively dropped, however the property developer wishes to save the top section of the tower and lighting beacon to use as an architectural detail of the apartments that are going to be built. They like to preserve bits of history of the properties they develop. As a result it will be a much more complex removal of the tower.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Super expensive to do that. To remove the top section of the tower means mounting a gin pole on the second section down from the top, securing the top section to the gin pole, unbolting and/or chiseling/torching the section free and lowering it to the ground OR using a really big crane to lift it off and lower it. I don’t know which is more cost effective but neither is cheap.

My guess is that while the property developer may think it’s a cool idea, the cost estimates might steer the story back to demolition. Or it’s a lesson that property developers are just making too much money.

Zander
    Participant

The developer is paying the cost difference between the drop and what Andy describes, it triples the cost of removing the tower.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 94 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.