Former KKEY tower site to be dismantled by the end of April

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Former KKEY tower site to be dismantled by the end of April

Tagged: 

This topic contains 60 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Craig_Adams 5 days, 11 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • Author

Zander
    Participant

The last remaining tower at the site will be dismantled the week of April 24th depending upon weather conditions. This tower was the original tower erected in 1954 when the station signed on as KHFS.

The current call, KGDD will likely go dark as they have not filed an application with the FCC for a new site. At one point they were going to triplex at the co-owned 1010 and 1230 site.

192 apartments are going to be built on the 5.35 acre site. The former studio/transmitter building on a separate one-acre site that fronts the tower property will also be demolished to provide a driveway for the apartments.

Broadway
    Participant

Could not triplex off of 860-1550 site? Could have up’d day and night…all dir….

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Is this going to be the new low-income council housing development? Apparently there’s one they just opened on the hill nearby.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I wonder, does this mean that K228EU 93.5 will go dark and “La Grande” will go to radio heaven? Or, will “La Grande” replace the Christian format that is now on 1230?

semoochie
    Participant

You could have knocked me down with a feather! That’s like waking up one morning and finding my left hand missing! If they were to move, I believe they would have to put 5mv/m into Portland and I don’t think that’s possible from the Gresham site without a substantial power increase, if even then, assuming it didn’t interfere with the Seattle station, which it would.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  semoochie.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Zander: Thanks for posting about this. Please keep us up to date on this story. I’d like to know the exact date the tower comes down and when they start to demolish the studio/transmitter building.

El_Chico
    Participant

La Grande will probably move to 1150, this works better than 1230 for their translator on 93.5. Could they move 1520 to their 1150 site?

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  El_Chico.

Andy Brown
    Participant

“Could not triplex off of 860-1550 site? Could have up’d day and night…all dir….”

Probably because that site is already saturating that neighborhood with so much RF that any more would not only violate common sense but make the danger zone extend beyond the property. Again, just a guess. Maybe the preacher doesn’t want anything to draw attention to the fact they are radiating the neighborhood already.

Andy Brown
    Participant

It’s all about the money, kids. Go dark, sell the land, forfeit an AM license that really isn’t worth much at all, profit big time.

Once again, all because there are too few owners in the game and that diminishes the value of small AM stations.

The cost of duplexing or triplexing is not small change. Building another directional site that close to Portland is not tenable anymore. Owners moved the old 910 up Marine Drive to the JJ site and moved the great old 620 service to the 1190 towers (which are way too short for 620) because those services have reasonably decent coverage and legacy positions on the Portland dial. 1150 never had that kind of status, never had a huge audience and never made anyone a ton of money.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I remember the days before KKEY went 5 KW Directional days. Back in the late 60s, when they had an International Music format, they were 1 KW ND and had a decent signal on the coast. Then around 1970 they put up the extra sticks and boosted to 5 KW with their signal going South. I was disappointed as I enjoyed their International music format. I could no longer get them well enough to listen. They soon changed to talk after that. Later on in the 80s, I moved and was able to install a 1500′ Eastern Beverage antenna and I could then get KKEY fairly well. But I remember driving to Eugene and I was amazed how far South they got, but they sure nulled the N/NW, I presume to protect KAYO Seattle. How AM radio has changed.
    On the subject of the 620 site, KGW was a powerhouse with only 5 KW, but a dandy site on the river. The KEX site was poor for 620, so that is why the boost to 25KW/10KW to make up the difference. 620 is the strongest PDX station on the North Coast these days followed by 860, and 750.

radiogeek
    Participant

So, while all these AM stations are discussed … why is there so strong a whine sound on KPAM AM 860 either in the West Hills, or an unbelievable strong single frequency noise while on I5 above Longview?

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Today April 8, 1906 Charles M. Weagant was born in Swayzee, Ind. KHFS Co-founder & Chief Engineer, 1954-55. KBPS Chief Engineer.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Craig_Adams.

semoochie
    Participant

El Chico, are you talking about moving 1520 down the street from 1550 or 1150 to Clackamas? The latter would put it virtually down the street from 1190. The first scenario couldn’t work because they would have to protect the 25mv contour of the other station. The second is still pretty close.

Andy Brown
    Participant

“why is there so strong a whine . . . ”

It depends. It’s probably co channel interference if it’s night only. KPAM is DAN with deep nulls north and south making it particularly weak and vulnerable to skywave co channel coming in and beating with the KPAM signal resulting in heterodyning that can be one stable frequency (whistle) or a slow changing whine. Other then that you haven’t given enough input information.

Night or day or both?

On more than one radio receiver?

Consistently or intermittently?

How close to Kelso’s KLOG 1490 tower (it’s right along I-5 across from Longview)?

How close in the West Hills from 970 KUFO’s towers?

radiogeek
    Participant

Both day and night. I get interference noise from other AM in Clackamas, I guess from the other AM towers there, and going thru the curves and out and about in West Hills/Beaverton there is always a whine.

I didn’t catch exactly where I was north of Longview, perhaps an hour or more north of the river when I tried KPAM. The whine there was louder than the program.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.