Former KGW jock Gary Lockwood dies

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Former KGW jock Gary Lockwood dies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    paulwalker
    Participant

Gary Lockwood, former KGW dj, later KING and KJR Seattle star has passed away at 72. He was noted for his high profile KJR position in Seattle, once the highest paid radio jock in Seattle.

Gary Lockwood Passes

Dan Packard
    Keymaster

Lockwood worked at 62 KGW in 1973, up to April of 1974. He then transferred to sister station KING in Seattle doing nights, then afternoon drive. In 1976 he moved over to KJR and the afternoon drive slot there. A few years later he signed a million dollar deal to do mornings at KJR, where he remained until the station suddenly changed to a sports format in September of 1991.

This recording is from 1978, that I just let roll one afternoon on my Pioneer CTF-9191 cassette deck (wish I had it today),

And some other videos of Lockwood:

Do you Know me?

A great one from 1989 (with Stacy Hanson traffic & Chuck Knopf news),

Steve Naganuma
    Participant

I used to listen to Gary while learning broadcasting in high school. Here is Gary’s last show on KGW. RIP.

Sam Lawson’s Audio Vault: Gary Lockwood’s Last Show at KGW

mwdxer1
    Participant

Very sorry to hear this. Used to listen to him driving to Seattle to visit the Record Distributors in the 70s.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Ah….the good ol’ days of Top 40 radio…Gee I really miss those days, KGW, KJR, KOL, KING, and the list goes on. Radio was a blast to work in and to listen to. Rip Gary….

Scott Young
    Participant

Hey Dan, thanks for posting your unscoped KJR aircheck of Gary Lockwood. You may or may not be pleased to know that the Stri-Dex spot (Come on over to my pad) will be making appearances on the current incarnation of KISN. We have a few Stri-Dex spots in the library but didn’t have that one.

Dan Packard
    Keymaster

You’re welcome Scott. Heh, the Stridex spot, sounds like it was voiced by Marcia Brady. 🙂

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

I was listening during his last shift on KGW, when he and Joe Cooper were playing around with the jingles. Then one winter afternoon I rediscovered him afternoons on KJR. Was never much of a morning person, so never thought to try DXing him after he moved to mornings. Thank you for the airchecks.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Thanks for the May, 1978 KJR aircheck! That was a true radio time capsule. The short breaks combined with the idea of one station running commercials voiced by children, an advertisement for skincare products appealing to teenagers, and a spot for a motorcycle dealership seem unlike anything heard on the air today.

Dan Packard
    Keymaster

The Lockwood aircheck I posted above on May 1 was just pulled by YouTube (actually WMG, Warner Music Group) for copyright infringement. Arghhhh!

I guess they fear someone is actually going to attain too much musical satisfaction from listening to the highly compressed monophonic AM radio station audio of that era.

I filed an educational “fair use” dispute with YouTube to get the video put back. Let’s see where that goes.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

People who run YouTube channels dedicated to old radio and phonograph repair also routinely run into copyright issues when they play music through their equipment. The algorithms that scan these videos for copyrighted material seem to be able to identify songs, regardless of how acoustics or imperfections of the equipment might distort the audio.

paulwalker
    Participant

What a bunch of B.S. Especially when it comes to product about those who are recently deceased. There otta be a law!
    (oh, I guess there is, however stupid it is)…

semoochie
    Participant

The issue appears to be playing entire songs. If one were to painstakingly remove most of each song, there shouldn’t be any copyright problem.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

YouTube users shango066 and radiotvphononut get around the problem by editing their videos so that only snippets of the songs can be heard. For the most part, shango066 uses news broadcasts and talkshows on his channel, as he claims that those have not yet caused him grief with copyright protection. Radiotvphononut is in a tougher predicament, as many of his videos are about record players. To make things worse, he often has the need to demonstrate the performance of each of the speeds on a record player. 16 2/3 RPM is not a problem and neither is the rarer 8 1/3 RPM, as he has a library of talking books for the blind. 78 RPM is occasionally a problem, but less so than 33 1/3 RPM or 45 RPM, as the 78 RPM material is more likely to have been out of print for years.

semoochie
    Participant

I had no idea about 8 1/3. Most people don’t know about 16!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.