FM6 antenna up on the Oregon Coast

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio FM6 antenna up on the Oregon Coast

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    mwdxer1
    Participant

This morning I finally got up the FM6 FM Yagi. The first thing I noticed, is what a small Yagi. I was used to the Winegard SC650 era. Anyway, new RG6 to it at 75 feet and all I can say is WOW!!! I am amazed. That Sony XFR HD receiver is amazing. The only HD lock I can getting is 95.7 Seattle so far, but many show the HD logo and I get full RDS, song titles, ID info. I have not been DXing FM for many years now and how the dial has changed. I think I am getting all of the Cougar/Tiger Mountain stations. They vary in signal. I how have to re-learn the dial. I have not checked out Portland as yet, but Seattle has always been better here. The locals here are not any issue, and I think either Seaside is off (96.5) or the FM6 is nulling them at 9 miles away and I am getting Seattle. Boy, what a surprise. I went with no booster and I am not sure if I need it. I wonder if the very weak stuff would improve. But again I am surprised.

jr_tech
    Participant

Bravo! I think you will enjoy what a Sony XDR-F1HD and directional antenna can do, particularly in the rejection of second, first and even co-channel interference.
    By all means, point the antenna toward Portland… Right now, I am listening to my favorite Celtic program on KMUN… should work both ways 🙂
    Be interesting if you can lock on HD from a couple of stations to your south; KQOC (88.1 classical) and 100.7 (Boss FM) as well.

mwdxer1
    Participant

88.1 KOQC is in solid in HD! Even off the back end of the FM6. I am surprised as with a portable in the house I get the Rel station (Ocean Park WA). There is no HD here in Clatsop County, so hearing HD with the XFR is a real plus for me. Signals pop in and out from distance. 107.3 Coos Bay was in a while ago. The Sony blows away my old Pioneer TX9100. 100.7 I have not had luck with that as Seattle is co-channel. I get both of them depending on which way I point the yagi. Rainier 98.3 is pretty decent too.

mwdxer1
    Participant

KEC91 I do get them with just a whip on an old weather radio I have. I do not know how well the antenna will work outside the FM band though. I may end up stacking too of them. I do not have a scanner now. I have had them in the past though.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I can get most of the PDX FMers, but nothing in HD. There is too much blockage from the Coast Range. Seattle always has been better here from sites on Tiger and Cougar Mountains.What gets me is the 94.9 & 96.5 at 130 miles away take out the two 6 KW locals!

mwdxer1
    Participant

I remember trying a whip and I got another weather station years ago. I don’t remember which one it was, but I think it was up by Centralia or Olympia WA.

jr_tech
    Participant

For what it’s worth, here is a PDF article about modifying a 6 element Radio Shack FM band only Log Yagi (really was an Antennacraft FM-6, for cheap) for use on the 2 Meter Amateur band.
    Some recalculation would be necessary for operation on the 162.xxx NOAA weather frequencies. Of course, orientation for vertical polarization would be necessary to avoid cross polarization losses (up to 20dB, but may be less on distant stations due to scattering)

http://www.nrharc.org/Downloads/5%20el%202%20meter.pdf

Added: Apparently, the FM-6 has also now been discontinued, and the “scalpers” are selling them:

http://www.amazon.com/Triple-Driven-Directional-Hd-Radio-Ready-Antenna/dp/B00M3TLC3K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1431896081&sr=8-2&keywords=antennacraft+fm-6

shipwreck
    Participant

When I lived in Astoria I could get Eugene and Vancouver (BC), as well as KPQ Wenatchee.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.