Five Worst Jobs in America!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Deane Johnson
    Participant

Take a look at what’s at the top of the list of the five worst jobs in America.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/careers/here-are-worst-best-jobs-america-2015-n341291

Andy Brown
    Participant

Which begs the question, was it ever any different and if so, how much different?

History says broadcasting went from a science experiment to a hobbyist/entrepreneurial endeavor and then straight to a corporate battlefield. That last transition was the longest, beginning in the 1940’s and reaching its pinnacle around the late 1990’s.

It would be IMO difficult to ever claim being a broadcaster was ever in the top ten, but if you go back far enough it wouldn’t have been in the bottom ten like it is today.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Edward R. Murrow certainly gave the illusion that journalism and broadcasting were cool. However, even in his day, they weren’t great jobs because:

• Murrow had to put his life at risk by living in war zones so that he could do his famous reports.
    • He often found himself in conflict with management who wanted programming that was relatively inexpensive to produce and that did not spook advertisers.
    • His life was riddled with stress, partly because of his personality and partly because of pressures inherent to the job (he felt that it would be a calamity if some major world event happened and he weren’t there to report it).
    • Reporting divisive issues, such as persecution of alleged “Communists” in the early 1950s, made him and other CBS staff lightning rods for criticism.
    paulwalker
    Participant

Andy and I have butted heads over this issue in the past but ever since I voluntarily left my last job to move to a different market at the end of last year, I can indeed confirm there are few good radio jobs available. Note however that the term “broadcaster” was used not “radio broadcaster”. I think the situation is even worse in TV news. In markets below about 100 the pay is dismal. The reasons are many, but it includes the fact that there are far more people wanting to get into TV news than there are jobs. Atleast most radio folks have moved on but the TV side continues to be a disaster, unless you have God-given talent that can drive you to a major market.

paulwalker
    Participant

Also, keep in mind that even in major markets the days of million dollar contracts are few and far between. Los Angeles is a great example. While the anchors there are still paid well, it is nothing like it was in the 80’s and 90’s, when star power commanded those extremely high salaries.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.