FCC will shut down Thursday if no funding

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio FCC will shut down Thursday if no funding

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Alfredo_T 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Master of Disaster
    Participant

Link: https://www.rbr.com/mid-thursday-fcc-shutdown-confirmed/

With a continued partial lapse in federal government funding, the Federal Communications Commission will suspend most operations in the middle of the day on Thursday, January 3. At that time, employees will have up to four hours to complete an orderly shutdown of operations.

The actual plan is here and is pretty much ‘except for the FCC Chair and Commissioners, and emergency coordinators, don’t expect much if anything.’

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Woo wh00! Time to get out the 2-watt FM transmitter and do some REAL local radio!

mwdxer1
    Participant

Pirates everywhere….While the cats away, the mice will play…

Borderblaster
    Participant

Pirates everywhere….While the cats away, the mice will play…

Oh Yeah, where? please tell us more!

Alfredo_T
    Participant

On another board, there are somewhat frequent mentions of loggings of shortwave pirates that operate between 49 m and 40 m. However, these stations are not heard on the West coast, to the best of my knowledge.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

A bummer for me regarding the FCC shutdown is that I am trying to renew my amateur radio license. I can’t remember my password, as I haven’t used it in 10 years. I can’t contact tech support people to have it reset.

Borderblaster
    Participant

So what, Billy Boy of 3840 fame has been expired since 2007

Andy Brown
    Participant

Re: FCC shutdown today (Thursday)

I wonder why stuff below 30 MHz. is treated specially?
    Are there weapons systems down there?

“Staff of the High Frequency Direction Finding (HFDF) Center will operate the high frequency antenna system used to protect life and property.”

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DOC-355868A1.pdf

https://www.fcc.gov/general/high-frequency-direction-finding-center

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I, too, am perplexed that the FCC sees HF as being so crucial that they have to keep a direction finding center open. I had thought that their top priorities today are interference to the VHF aeronautical band and to the mobile phone bands.

I wonder:

• Are there over-the-horizon radar installations that they are trying to protect from interference?
    • Are they focusing on HF bands used by trans-oceanic flights?
    • Are they trying to prevent jamming of those “numbers stations” that are officially not supposed to exist? (I don’t think that this is likely.)
    • Are there military two-way radio frequencies that they are trying to protect? Of course, in the modern world, governmental agencies have better communications tools at their disposal than HF radio, but I can see why they might want a backup.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.