FCC Votes to Eliminate Physical Broadcast License Posting

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio FCC Votes to Eliminate Physical Broadcast License Posting

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Andy Brown 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Screamer
    Participant

Broadway
    Participant

Wish I would have at least photocopied my 3rd Class Endorsed license before I had to turn it in for the wallet version in the mid-80’s. That piece of paper got me my first radio gig in 1971. Don’t see those posted on any station wall for a long time.

Screamer
    Participant

I still have mine tucked in a CD case

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

to eliminate what he and a majority of commissioners conclude are outdated or obsolete rules.

Yet unfortunately I don’t see GMRS or HAM licencing going away anytime soon. Talk about obsolete and outdated.

At least they did finally get rid of that stupid and unnecessary “restriction” on 11m skip a couple years ago when they redid FRS/GMRS so that’s a start. You can’t legislate away physics.

stevewa
    Participant

The licensing hasn’t gone away for Amateurs but if you want a printed license you have to request it now.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Really? wow. That’s so….. modern and forward-thinking. I’m amazed the 80-somethings and the Newington Yankees haven’t raised holy hell about that!

mwdxer1
    Participant

I still have my 3rd phone somewhere. But haven’t looked for it in years.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I think that the comment on the 11 m skip restriction referred to a rule pertaining to the CB radio service. The rule said that if CBers heard a transmission that they knew to be originating from a point greater than some distance (I think it was 300 miles), they were not allowed to try to establish contact with that station. The rule was, of course, unenforceable.

Paul Tilton
    Participant

Interesting. Not that I’ll likely need it anytime soon (or ever) but I did a search of the database in every conceivable way, and can’t find the Restricted Radiotelephone Operators Permit listed in their database. I’m even looking at it (issued in 1985) and entered the name exactly the way its listed on the permit.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I did a search on mine based on the year it was granted and the first letter of my last name. The query only returned four results, none of which are mine. If I ever had to use my permit again (and could find it), I suspect that it would be advisable to contact the FCC so that they can have me in their database with up-to-date information.

Paul Tilton
    Participant

It looks like there are no RR’s older than 2001 or so.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

The query that I did was for last names starting with T and an issue date between 1/1/1994 and 1/1/1995. Only four results were returned. I was left wondering whether these people requested that their license data be entered into the new database, whether entry into the new database was automatically triggered by an update of personal data, or whether the FCC is systematically entering records into the new database, starting with the newest ones.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

I think that the comment on the 11 m skip restriction referred to a rule pertaining to CB radio. The rule was, of course, unenforceable.

Yes it did, and it was. You can’t legislate away physics.

stevewa
    Participant

When the CB craze was at its peak (late 70s), my Dad had a radio in the car (he frequently traveled in some of the more obscure parts of Pennsylvania teaching workshops on weekends).

He came back from one trip remarking about how he’d listened to a conversation between two CBers in the LA area while driving in northwest PA. He knew it was the real deal because he knew enough of the SoCal highway layout to be able to pinpoint exactly where they were!

I have no idea if those truckers (assumption) had illegal linears on their rigs, but that stuck with me even though I didn’t understand the physics at the time.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Most truckers did use linear amplifiers on their 11 meter rigs during that time period and beyond. They also used the “funny” channels (now Ch. 24 – 40) that were illegal in the beginning but eventually got incorporated into the band in 1977. My first repair gig in Portland was at a two way shop. The key challenge for many of them was that the antenna was mounted on the tractor and the trailer was always higher up, creating a kind of directional pattern with 270ยบ coverage and a big null to the rear. Most of the linears put out two to three hundred watts, were vacuum tube designs, and often required a separate 12 v. storage battery to use at night due to the high current draw that the extensive lighting everywhere on big rigs required. They started, even back then, adding transceivers on the amateur 2 meter band (144 – 148 MHz) and using the repeater systems the amateur clubs were deploying all over the country. I remember one guy that was a customer and he had three units in his cab, a CB, a 2 meter, and a multi band unit he used mostly on 6 meters (50 – 54 MHz). He had one whip on each Hollywood mirror and one on the cab roof. He also had a scanner installed and a huge stereo system.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.