FCC Incentive Auction Has Ended

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    msndrspdx
    Participant

The RabbitEars website is now reporting the existence of the KVDO stream on all of the KWVT transmitters.

The setup now looks like this:

3.1 (RF 49.6) KVDO
    17.1 (RF 49.3) KWVT (YouToo America)
    27.1 (RF 49.4) KSLM (Retro TV)
    37.1 (RF 49.5) KPWC (Azteca)

Since 3.1 (RF 49.6) is new, people will have to rescan in order to get KVDO. RabbitEars is listing 3.1 as KVDO, no suffixes (-TV, -DTV, etc.), with no network info. Wonder what their top if the hour ID looks like?

jr_tech
    Participant

3.1 KVDO (3.1) is QVC shopping channel… instantly deleted from my channel list.

washnotore
    Participant

The final FCC report on the auction is due to be published soon. Once the report is published. The full power or Class A LPTV stations that are going off the air For good. Will have 3 months to do so.

The only Northwest stations known at this time, that will going off the air. Will be KVOS Bellingham and KFFV Seattle.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Why would KVOS and KFFV go off the air? They aren’t LPTV stations. Have they decided to turn in their licenses? Maybe the money received may be worth more than staying on the air. Aren’t KFFV and KVOS co-owned?

washnotore
    Participant

Both KVOS and KFFV are owned by OTA Broadcasting. OTA Broadcasting was founded in 2011 by Michael Dell’s MSD Capital. It has been rumored that Dell formed OTA Broadcasting to buy stations that could be sold in the FCC spectrum auction.

mwdxer1
    Participant

That is a shame. Money talks. I guess the viewer is not all that important. I think these OTA TV stations that are going off should either become a local cable service (no transmitter), or stream. At least their audience could continue to view the channel. After all the FCC official I talked to in DC stated that he feels that streaming is the new technology and OTA/Cable will disappear in time. I guess the people that do not have access to high speed will not count. Where will the sub channels go? Viewers in the Seattle/Bellingham markets have METV and other services. I wonder if someone else will pick them up?

mwdxer1
    Participant

In reading more, I see most every station could be on the chopping block, if the auction price goes high enough. Some of the smaller channels have values of $300-$600 Million in the larger markets. In many cases that is going to be hard to turn down. In theory any station could be toast. At the end of this, we may end up with a lot less OTA TV, let alone channels about 38.
    No wonder one engineer told me that their station could be shut down, cutting off not only the Portland viewers. Also their vast number of statewide translators. Maybe all OTA channels could be converted to be cable channels. At least they could be saved in some form. The viewer is sure going to yell about this. Most do not have any idea.

Andy Brown
    Participant

The FCC released the results of the incentive auction in terms of numbers.

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2017/db0413/DOC-344398A1.pdf

mwdxer1
    Participant

At least KVOS and KFFV are both staying as KVOS is going to 14 and KFFV is going to 16.

msndrspdx
    Participant

KVOS Bellingham carries METV as their primary network. Because they’re close to the Canadian border, KVOS is seen on some cable systems in Vancouver and Victoria and I understand it does very well there. What KFFV does in Seattle is that they carry KVOS on one of their subchannels off KVOS’s 12.1. Then cable systems in the Seattle metro area (Comcast, etc.) take KVOS off KFFV and thus METV has an outlet in Seattle. Pretty clever, actually. That’s like KVDO being rebroadcast on a Portland full power station.

Moving KVDO and it’s sisters to RF ch. 3 might make some sense. You might also have KVDO on virtual Ch. 3, KWVT on Ch. 4, KSLM on Ch. 5, and KPWC on Ch. 7, instread of 3.1/3.2/3.3/3.4. And I now think that Watch TV will set all their transmitters on virtual Ch. 15. The musical chairs will start soon, especially back east, with many of the changes in the Midwest and the I-95 corridor taking place in Phase 5. Some Canadian stations will repack, too, with the 10th and last phase taking place in Canada.

washnotore
    Participant

In the Bay Area Public Broadcaster KSCM-TV. Did not get get sold at specturm auction as plan.

Failed KCSM-TV sale forces lawsuits: College district and contractor point fingers over who dropped the ball on auction.

http://www.smdailyjournal.com/articles/lnews/2017-04-12/failed-kcsm-tv-sale-forces-lawsuits-college-district-and-contractor-point-fingers-over-who-dropped-the-ball-on-auction/1776425178673.html

Other Public Broadcasters went alone on there sales. And will receive there golden parachutes. But not KCSM-TV.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

KSCM will receive no tears from my eyes.

GreatOnePDX
    Participant

I just read all the changes that will happen to the Portland area. Here the full list according to the FCC
    Post Auction Technical Parameters File.

First off, NO FULL POWER OR CLASS A STATIONS in Portland were sold. This is very surprising as I expected Watch TV to sell as many as they could. I am thinking when the Auction reached Stage 4, the Portland Market became a “Not Needed” market and all bids were dropped. Will have to wait two years to find out what did happen.

RF Ch. (Virtal Ch) Calls
    — —- —- —————————
    08 (08) KGW staying put
    10 (10) KOPB staying put
    12 (12) KPTV staying put
    15 (41) KOXO-CD moving from Ch. 41
    16 (16) KORS-CD staying put
    20 (20) KOXI-CD staying put
    22 (22) KPXG staying put
    24 (02) KATU moving from Ch. 43
    25 (06) KOIN moving from Ch. 40
    30 (49) KPDX staying put
    32 (24) KMNT moving from Ch. 45
    33 (32) KRCW staying put
    35 (35) KORK-CD staying put
    36 (38) KKEI-CD moving from Ch. 38

The fate of the LPTV’s on Ch. 38 through 51 is currently unknown. LPTV’s in that range include: KPXG-LD Channel 42, KGWZ-LD Channel 46, KUNP-LD Channel 47 and KWVT-LD CHannel 49. However, there are several open channels they could move to that are not in use here or by full power stations in Eugene, including Channels 18, 19, 23, 28, and 34. Channels 19 and 23 are used by Class A’s in Eugene (as is Channel 15 by Watch TV’s KORY-CD which KOXO-CD is also going to using).

So there are four LPTV’s and at least five open UHF channels (plus there are four available VHF low channels). But last I checked, they have to move and at their own expense. Depending on their budgets, that could put them off-the-air and out of business, especailly KPXG and KWVT (the other two being owned by full power station companies Tegra and Sinclair).

GreatOnePDX

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

I really doubt they’ll go to low VHF unless as a very (and I mean very) last-ditch resort. For the most part it’s practically useless for ATSC. The noise floor is just too damn high. Plus you have skywave interference to contend with, and a pretty much unused ham radio band just below it that the old farts’ll scream holy hell about. (Kicking hornet nests is NOT a good idea!)

KPXG transmitted its early ATSC service on channel 4 for a little while some years back, remember how well that worked?

plus there are four available VHF low channels

Five (2-6).

cbaravelli
    Spectator

What is fun for me is to see who spent how much for 600 MHz spectrum. $1.31 per MHz/pop in major metros and 93 cents everywhere else. T-Mo spent $1.2B but it ain’t the largest. Eventual transition from TV to Cell will take more than a year or two.
    http://wireless.fcc.gov/auctions/default.htm?job=releases_year

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.