FCC Incentive Auction Has Ended

This topic contains 44 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  cbaravelli 3 days, 13 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author

washnotore
    Participant

FCC Incentive Auction Has Ended

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/washington/fccs-incentive-auction-end-after-stage-4/162589

http://repackready.com/spectrum-repack-news/

UHF Channels 38 thru 50 will soon belong to Cell Carriers. The FCC will be putting out a list soon of the upcoming changes.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Damn! I am surprised that the FCC didn’t auction off channel 37, as well–astronomers be damned!

Alfredo_T
    Participant

The University of South Florida will turn in its license for WUSF-TV, in exchange for slightly over $18 million. Options available to current WUSF-TV employees are not yet certain.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/local-news/university-of-south-florida-sells-wusf-tvs-broadcast-license-in-fcc-auction

msndrspdx
    Participant

WUSF (16) serves Tampa Bay, the #16 market in the country. It’s been the TV voice of the University of Southern Florida for over 50 years. WEDU (3) in Tampa will likely take over as the PBS station there.

One of the stated reasons for closing WCMZ (28) in Flint, MI, is that most folks there already get PBS on cable from WTVS (56) in Detroit. So WCMZ is now considered redundant for that area.

Meanwhile, the RabbitEars blog has started an ongoing thread about what stations will now do with the repack looming. They report that two stations in the San Diego area on the Mexican side of the border will close to make room for stations on the US side.

XETV (6), the longtime English station in Tijuana, will close. The Televisa-owned station has been a fixture there for many years. They’re currently with CW, but had relations with Fox and MyNet in the past. They’ll hand over CW to KFMB (8) at a date to be determined. XETV has very popular morning and 10pm newscasts.

XHAS (33), the Telemundo station there, also very popular, will also close and will hand Telemundo over to KNSD. The date of that handover also is TBA.

e_dawg
    Participant

What will happen to Portland area after repackaging?

Jbpdx
    Participant

I would assume all stations on real channel 38 and above will be moved to a channel 37 or below. That includes KOIN 40 and KATU 43.

jr_tech
    Participant

Ch 37 is left unused because of radio astronomy:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_37

mwdxer1
    Participant

This should be interesting. What happens to a market like LA? I think most the spectrum there is full. I wonder if some become subs for other stations. As far as translators go, we are okay here on the coast with 17(KGW), 21(KPTV), 23(KOPB), 26(KATU), and 34(KOIN). I heard word that the FCC was going to take the channels all the way down to 30. At least a bit more of the spectrum was saved, at least for now. I wonder if ATSC 3.0 is looming in the near future now? Any timeline on this?

washnotore
    Participant

Based on the FCC announcement of what’s going to happen in the Assignment Phase auction. It sounds like we’ll have to wait about 6 weeks, so 3 weeks for auction prep and practice and then ~3 weeks for the auction to complete.

Since the FCC already has all the station changes I assume they’ll publish that very shortly after this whole thing wraps up. I expect that we will know before the end of March.

Anybody want to guess which stations are going off or share channels?

It would be nice to see RF 07 in Corvallis move to Eugene hills area. That way the odd channel VHF high numbers, in Portland area could be used by Class A or LPTV programer. While the even channels VHF high numbers remain for full power stations as they currently are.

As to the use of UHF RF 14. Anybody using this channel, will have to install filters. Due to the fact that land moblie radio is below 470 Mhz.

Andy Brown
    Participant

I wonder if ATSC 3.0 is looming in the near future now? Any timeline on this?

On January 6, 2017, LG Electronics announced that their 2017 4K TVs sold in South Korea would include ATSC 3.0 tuners.

On February 2, 2017, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) released a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking which would allow for the deployment of ATSC 3.0. The Notice of Proposed Rulemaking seeks comments on issues such as carriage obligations, interference, public interest obligations, simulcasting, and a tuner mandate. Gary Shapiro of the Consumer Technology Association (CTA) has stated that a TV tuner mandate is not necessary and that it should be market-driven and voluntary.

Translation: 2018 at the earliest

Jbpdx
    Participant

The only channels that might “go off” would be the Watch TV Inc.-owned stations that aren’t being used anyway: 16, 35, 20 etc. Some of the operating stations might move to those numbers. Otherwise Portland shouldn’t see any cuts.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Besides KOIN & KATU, KTBN I believe is on 45, so they will have to move too.

washnotore
    Participant

According to filing with FCC back in 2015. KOIN and KPXG are currently the only antenna systems in Portland. That can broacast more than one RF channel.

msndrspdx
    Participant

By KTBN, I think you meant KNMT. KTBN is the TBN flagship station in Los Angeles. However, your statement might apply to KTBN down there.

RabbitEars lists KOPB with three RF’s in Portland, one being Ch. 10. I think that KPDX might move its virtual channel to 13. They’re on 13 on most cable systems (and Comcast HD Ch. 713), so I think that would make sense. KNMT uses virtual 24 right now. They are Trinity Broadcasting, after all, so if they had to move the virtual channel, Ch. 3 would make sense to them.

KGWZ could land on virtual 4, 5, 7, 9, or 11. 7 or 9 would be next to KGW. Ch. 22 likely stays in place. Daystar Ch. 42 might move down, but where? 14? I agree on Watch TV, but someone might buy all five, turn in the license for three of them and keep one or two. If someone kept two, they could be on different RF’s but same virtual channel, run as one station. KUNP could land on one of those single digit channels (and don’t forget that virtual Ch. 1 is there, too).

KWVT 17.1, KSLM 27.1, and KPWC 37.1 have the main transmitter in Dallas, OR (licensed to Salem) and translators carrying the same three virtual channels in Tillamook, Portland, and Eugene. The Eugene tower, according to RabbitEars, has the call letters KVDO-LD. Are those parked there for a reason? Could 17.3 become a new KVDO? Will these stations have to move RF’s and/or virtual channels? And then there’s KEVE, currently virtual 36. Where could it go? Ch. 18? Just thinking off the top of my head here…

washnotore
    Participant

We can all assume that the FCC repack software. Determined that a move was necessary to make all the stations fit. Up and Down the I-5 corridor in Western Oregon and Washington.

Add the fact that stations in locations like Yakima, Bend and Klamath Falls. Can have a station on the same RF channel. As thoughts on the west side. With the Cascade Range being that nature barrier. Limiting the signal range.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.