FCC Fines & Other FCC Happenings

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio FCC Fines & Other FCC Happenings

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 217 total)
  • Author
    semoochie
    Participant

Actually, you lie before the Lord today, but you lay before him yesterday, Of course, you could lay a bible on the table. 🙂

892R
    Participant

Re Alfredo’s post: 121.5 is an Air Traffic Control emergency frequency. That’s why the concern

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Steve could also say, “I have lain before the Lord.” This is the past participle form; see http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/lay-versus-lie

Getting back to the 5110 SE Stark location, I am wondering, is this a building with leased offices, some of which happen to be Bustos and one for Riverside Broadcasting? Does Riverside have any control of KXPD’s programming from there (or even just the EAS equipment)? Or is this strictly a business office?

scowl
    Participant

Regarding the question of how CB shops get busted… there are law-abiding people who visit these shops and report illegal products they find. Many of the people are hams who are looking for converted transmitters that also operate on their bands. They do not want CB operators discovering these “new” bands that allow them to talk all around the world.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

To me, the issue of linear amplifiers seems a bit tricky. The reason for this is that solid state HF amplifier designs are nearly always broadband and can thus cover all the bands from 80 meters to 10 meters without retuning. The amplifier cannot discern a CB band signal from a 10 meter band signal.

I seem to recall reading that one way that linear amplifier manufacturers discourage CBers from using their products is by keeping the gain down so that 4 watts of input comes nowhere close to the recommended input drive level for the amplifier. However, how can a retail store know whether an amplifier it sells will be used by a licensed amateur operator or whether it will be used by a CBer? What if I were to sell an HF amplifier on ebay or Craigslist–could I be in trouble?

shipwreck
    Participant

As far as I know, it’s legal to sell or own such equipment, it’s the operator who runs the risk.

boisebill
    Participant

It is illegal to sell non-FCC certified devices:

III. applicable law and violations

4. Federal law requires that radio frequency devices be certified in

accordance with the FCC’s technical standards before they can be

marketed in the United States. Section 302(b) of the Act provides that

“[n]o person shall manufacture, import, sell, offer for sale, or ship

devices or home electronic equipment and systems, or use devices,

which fail to comply with regulations promulgated pursuant to this

section.” Section 2.803(a)(1) of the Commission’s implementing

regulations provides that “no person shall sell or lease, or offer for

sale or lease (including advertising for sale or lease), or import,

ship, or distribute for the purpose of selling or leasing or offering

for sale or lease, any radio frequency device unless: “n the case

of a device subject to certification, such device has been authorized

by the Commission in accordance with the Rules in this chapter and is

properly identified and labeled….” Section 2.803(g) of the Rules

provides in pertinent part that “radio frequency devices that could

not be authorized or legally operated under the current Rules…shall

not be operated, advertised, displayed, offered for sale or lease,

sold or leased, or otherwise marketed absent a license issued under

part 5 of this chapter or a special temporary authorization issued by

the Commission.” Section 2.803(e)(4) of the Rules defines “marketing”

as the “sale or lease, or offering for sale or lease, including

advertising for sale or lease, or importation, shipment or

distribution for the purpose of selling or leasing or offering for

sale or lease.”

Andy Brown
    Participant
    msndrspdx
    Participant

St. Nicholas Av. In upper Manhattan is a few blocks east of Columbia University.

Best, Mike 8)

Andy Brown
    Participant

Broadcast ownership rules to remain in place, so far. No change in limits of stations are being considered to this point in the quadrennial review process. Some minor changes in TV duopoly rules and the possible elimination of tv-radio cross ownership limits.

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2014/db0415/FCC-14-28A1.pdf

The Commission also stated in as many words that if you want to get into broadcast ownership you can buy some loser AM in the boonies and build from there. Seriously, they said that.

They continue to claim that the current system fosters competition and provides a diversity of program options.

Really? That’s news to me.

Those of us that realize the oligarchical aspects of telecommunications law make it un-representative of the will and needs of the public at large and only fill the coffers of the industry titans that own not only the majority of licenses in broadcast but apparently the majority of commissioners shall continue to stew in our own juices.

That’s all folks.

http://blog.lenskart.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/maxresdefault.jpg

semoochie
    Participant

In regard to “diversity of program options”, I suppose that if you really break it down, it’s true. Most music-based stations don’t have a direct competitor. Before 1996, they did and in some cases, several.

Andy Brown
    Participant
    boisebill
    Participant

Wonder who is setting these up?

Kinda browsed some of the Hotel-Motel professional association sites and could find nothing about MVPD issues in their advisories and “governmental affairs” discussions.

Looks like the FCC has found a new revenue stream.

itsvern
    Participant
    KevanGC
    Participant

Well, something’s been happening here in San Antonio for three years and the FCC has yet to act.

The K272EK 102-3 translator does *not* retransmit what’s on it’s license. When I looked I noticed it’s supposed to rebroadcast 1540 KEDA but instead they have it transmitting KBRN 1500 (which is off 85% of the time I might add). KBRN is in Boerne, TX. That is too far away from the 102-3 transmitter site for 102-3 to transmit it legally, I believe. Yet if you get on Global Tuners or listen to the webstream they announce 1500 all the time, not 1540. KEDA is retransmitted on 87-7 FM, at least it’s supposed to be but 87-7 has had extremely HORRIBLE audio problems for a month at least now. Aircheck: http://sndup.net/fpx6 I haven’t heard anything quite like this…

This is the same broadcaster that has KROB in Corpus Christi, TX. I’ve only heard this, and am not sure if it’s true: “K-Rob transmits at 1000 watts all the time and has done so since 2002 when the current owner bought it!” The problem is, it’s licensed as a 500 watt daytime only station.

Somebody should start paying attention to the rules, I would suggest. Or is it the FCC down here who’s not been on top of things? I just don’t understand how this stuff has happened for so long, but I guess we’ll see what happens. 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 217 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.