FCC Fines & Other FCC Happenings

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio FCC Fines & Other FCC Happenings

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 217 total)
  • Author
    jr_tech
    Participant

The link appears to work fine… some info from the document”

2. On October 23, 2012, in response to a complaint, an agent of the

Enforcement Bureau’s Portland Office inspected radio station KBOO

located at 20 SE 8th Avenue, Portland, Oregon, and observed the

following violation:

a. 47 C.F.R. S: 11.61(b): “Entries shall be made in EAS Participant

records, as specified in S:S: 11.35(a) and 11.54(a)(3).” The agent

inspected the EAS Logs and noted that there were missing EAS entries

from July 1, 2012, through September 16, 2012.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

FCC Figures Show 15,196 Full-Power Radio Stations Licensed At End Of 2012

The FCC has released the number of full-power radio stations licensed as of DECEMBER 30, 2012, showing a total of 15,196 stations, 4,738 on AM, 6,598 commercial FM stations, and 3,860 noncommercial stations. In addition, 6,075 FM translators and boosters and 809 low power FM stations are licensed.

Compared to one year ago, the total number of full-power stations is up from 14,952; AM stations are down from 4,766; FM commercial stations are up from 6,542; FM noncommercial stations have risen from 3,644; FM translators and boosters are down from 6,099; and low power FM stations have dropped from 838.

scowl
    Participant

When I have nothing better to read during lunch, I go through the FCC site reading the recent violations. It makes me appreciate how hard it is to run a station with tower maintenance, program logs, EAS, keeping the signal on frequency and so on.

I’ve noticed in recent years there have been no fines (NAL) enforced. There were lots of violations that resulted in $4,000-$16,000 fines in 2007-2009. Has the FCC gone soft or are there fewer serious violations these days?

jr_tech
    Participant

Looks to me as if the FCC has extracted a few “pounds of flesh” recently:

http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/rfo/ActAct.html

scowl
    Participant

Oh, it looks like the FCC is no longer including NAL’s in the Field Notices section of their web site.

Thanks! Something to read during lunch today!

scowl
    Participant

Many interesting cases here. One AM station was supposed to reduce its power to 1 (one) watt after sunset. Does it make sense for an AM station to operate at such reduced power? I can’t imagine enough people could receive the station to justify it being on the air.

Andy Brown
    Participant

“Does it make sense for an AM station to operate at such reduced power?”

Actually, 1 Watt of RF is capable of creating a far field of 123 microvolts at 3 miles, far more than what is needed for a receiver to recover a reasonable signal depending on the noise.

Granted, at 1 Watt your 0.5 mv/m coverage extends out about 12 meters, but whether or not it makes sense for an operator to stay on the air should be considered on an individual basis. Many pre sunrise authority power figures are very low, mainly to provide protection to other stations because without the sun, AM signals propagate very well. If you are a small town AM operator where your 1 Watt signal is receivable in the majority of your immediate coverage area and competing signals are mostly distant, and as long as you keep your modulation percentage high and the power cost is not exorbitant, staying on the air might make perfect sense.

scowl
    Participant

In this case (WDGR in Dahlonega, Georgia) I could see how it might make sense. The town is very small, so small it looks like everyone in the city limits could receive it even though the transmitter’s a mile out of town. It’s distant from large cities so it could serve its entire community with this power.

However I bet they’re trying to serve Gainesville which is about 15 miles away and six times the population of Dahlonega.

In any case they’re off the air at the moment citing “water damage” to their transmitter. I guess they’re not a large budget operation. That $11,000 fine probably didn’t help.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

FCC Affirms $22K Fine Against Marketer Of Unauthorized FM Transmitters

The FCC has affirmed a $22,000 fine against INTER TECH FM for marketing unauthorized FM transmitters and RF amplifiers.

The fine was proposed in 2009 and the Commission says INTER TECH did not respond to its notice.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

FCC Fines Miami Unlicensed FM Operator (Again)

The FCC has fined GARY M. FELDMAN $25,000 for operating an unlicensed radio station on 97.7 FM in MIAMI.

Agents observed the station transmitting from FELDMAN’s house and identified on the air as “hot977fmmiami.com.” FELDMAN allegedly admitted operating the station but did not relinquish or destroy his equipment; the station was later observed emanating from a commercial building in MIAMI. FELDMAN was previously fined $10,000 for operating a pirate FM in TAMPA, and the FCC says that fine remains unpaid.

motozak3
    Participant

And although that’s another much-needed independent First Amendment voice that has been needlessly and unjustly silenced by the korporate Amerikan Pig Empire, the guy really was setting himself up for it.

Deliberately advertising your underground station via a (presumably) above-ground web page (or even worse yet, via a social network file) and announcing the URL over the air yet is so absolutely blatantly stupid that it defies description. It’s an open door for the wrath of the Pig Empire to walk right through. In those cases, I don’t feel the least bit sympathetic toward the undergrounder, since they should have had the foresight to not exercise such obvious acts of idiocy in the first place.

Can we say, “DUUUUUUHHHHHHHH”?

(I encourage everybody to plop small amped-up battery-operated unmanned transmitters all around town and broadcast “Off the Hook” to the vicinity!)

KevanGC
    Participant

All this talk of pirate radio stations getting busted and yet this 93.7 operation still goes on here in San Antonio after almost four years! http://radiodiscussions.com/smf/index.php?topic=225707.0

motozak3
    Participant

Yeah, but that’s Texas. They haven’t been part of the U.S. since they seceded in 2008, so it’s not under the jurisdiction and scrutiny of the F¢¢.

Didn’t you know that? ;o)

boisebill
    Participant

Mt. Rushmore Broadcasting / Casper WY gets hit wit $60,000 fines for missing public file items. This on top of the $68,000 fines last year for unlicensed STL links.

http://trib.com/news/local/casper/fcc-slaps-casper-radio-station-owner-with-fine/article_f87b09f5-120a-5144-8b61-0612074eb521.html

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

Feds Raid Massachusetts Pirate FM

Federal officials announced TUESDAY (3/13) that a pirate FM station in BROCKTON, MA was raided on MARCH 1st, reports the BROCKTON ENTERPRISE.

The station, operating on 91.7 FM, was interfering with air traffic control communications in the BOSTON area, and was shut down after “verbal and written warnings to the residents of 9 Rutland St. on several occasions.”

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 217 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.