FCC Fines & Other FCC Happenings

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio FCC Fines & Other FCC Happenings

This topic contains 207 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by  Borderblaster 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 208 total)
  • Author

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Re: “comparative and qualitative language,”

On a non-commercial radio station, the following would be forbidden in an underwriting announcement:

“This program is sponsored by One Hand Insurance. We offer the most competitive rates.” (comparative)

“This program is sponsored by One Hand Insurance. We offer the most comprehensive coverage.” (comparative)

“This program is sponsored by One Hand Insurance. Turn to One Hand to protect what’s important.” (call to action)

The announcement, “This program is sponsored by One Hand Insurance, the hand you can rely on if disaster strikes,” is somewhat of a gray area, and the management of many non-commercial stations likely would not allow its use on the air.

itsvern
    Participant

Poor, poor pirates! Pay The Fine!!

itsvern
    Participant

From All Access:

LARHARPOL LLC has requested a Silent STA for KBDF/DIAMOND LAKE, OR.in response to a Notice of Unlicensed Radio Operation from the Commission.

http://feedback.pdxradio.com/topic/southern-oregon-radio-happenings/page/2

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/111541/sold-georgia-fm-ny-state-translators

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Although I am not against the pirates for the most part, the legal strategies that they employ are amusing, to say the least. I am trying to bring myself to accept the idea that somebody (Thomas Costa) would rent a room to anonymous people for the purposes of using said room to house a radio transmitter. This is almost as outlandish as people who challenge court documents on the grounds that the name of the defendant appears in all capital letters (the defense is something along the lines of, “I write my name John Smith, not JOHN SMITH, so the person you are looking for is not me”).

boisebill
    Participant

Alfredo_T
    Participant

What station was at Mt. Nebo in Roseburg? (This is the location referenced in the letter that boisebill linked.)

jr_tech
    Participant

Wonder if the highest “weather goat” was packing a pirate transmitter. 🙂

motozak3
    Participant

Oh, this response will soothe the FCC.”

Hmm, it’s addressed to Binh, so if it were me writing that letter, I’d actually have written it a little bit more strongly (you know, along the lines of “Dear Binh, you pig-headed, money-grubbing blacklist-writing bag of gas:” kind of stuff. That’s wording it politely, by the way.) But that’s just me.

Well, my Dad didn’t like him much, either……

Radiodjm
    Participant

I’ve dealt with Binh for nearly 20 years and have found him pretty easy to deal with. As an owner/operator he has helped me solve interference issues with other stations, he’s been patient and understanding in dealing with possible violations on our part and he has been pretty thorough in his inspections. He has learned alot over the years and I enjoy talking with him or having him “drop in.”

jr_tech
    Participant

Well said, Radiodjm… Binh is a decent person.

motozak3
    Participant

…..Huh? Looks like the Binh I knew must be a different guy than the one you guys know (Dad said the guy he worked with got out of the concrete industry about 7-8 years ago for a job with the F¢¢.) If that’s the case, then I stand corrected and I apologise.

Apparently there must be two people working for them with the name “Binh Nguyen” (it happens; we had both an accountant and a salesman at FooCorp named “Grant Daniels” and most times they’d work the same shift. Talk about confusing!)

itsvern
    Participant

From RadioInfo:

Iowa Pirate Station Will Cost Thomas Costa $10,000. Roaming around Iowa City last month with a direction-finding device led the FCC to the home of Thomas Costa where there was an FM antenna mounted on the chimney. The signal was loud and clear on 87.9. The Kansas City FCC Enforcement Bureau’s agents stopped by on September 18 to find the station still operating. Costa told agents he rents a locked basement room to some unnamed individuals who own the automated equipment providing audio to a non-certified FM transmitter and he did install the transmitter for them. He says he doesn’t have the names of those asking him to do this because they want to have protection from the Commission and that those individuals told him he should expect the FCC to show up some day and order him to shut down the station. The Kansas City agents didn’t buy Costa’s story and neither did the FCC in determining a fine of $10,000 for operating an unlicensed station. “We find it implausible that Mr. Costa (or anyone for that matter) would install radio equipment, rent space, allow for unlawful operations in the rented space, and incur potential financial and other liability on behalf of complete strangers.” Costa has 30 days to pay or file a statement requesting cancellation or reduction of the fine.

Master of Disaster
    Participant

Hopefully those “87.9 The Beat” folks in NH take notice.

And it’s interesting that this thread contains exactly the kind of content that’s best left unsaid. Enough on that topic.

boisebill
    Participant

KevanGC
    Participant

What is that? Link doesn’t work.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 208 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.