FCC Fines & Other FCC Happenings

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio FCC Fines & Other FCC Happenings

This topic contains 207 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by  Borderblaster 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 208 total)
  • Author

KevanGC
    Participant

There is still a KBBT The Beat (98.5 FM in San Antonio). And isn’t 87.9 out of the FCC-governed band anyway? I thought it started at 88.1.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

“And isn’t 87.9 out of the FCC-governed band anyway? I thought it started at 88.1.”

No.

motozak3
    Participant

Yes and no. 87.9 MHz is, by the F¢¢’s definition, officially channel 200 on the FM broadcast band and is therefore part of the band proper. It’s my understanding that above-ground stations (and even underground ones, for that matter) have always been prohibited from transmitting on 87.9/200 because of the increased likelihood of interference with channel 6, whose audio frequency (as we all know) is 87.75 MHz. (There’s a word for such “buffer” frequencies, but I can’t think of it right now because I’m too tired.)

Considering the ATSC cutover and the resulting large-scale abandonment of low-VHF for such purposes, I’d think it’s really kind of a moot point by now, except (of course) in the very few areas that actually still have an ATSC channel 6.

semoochie
    Participant

There are some licensed 87.9s. As best I can tell, the FCC governs “frequencies”, period! The New Hampshire station is in for a rude awakening!

motozak3
    Participant

Are there? I’d always thought that, around this part of the world, the closest thing to an 87.9 radio station was the handful of channel 6es that operate as “pseudo-radio stations”. At least, that’s the impression I get from perusing the R-I boards, anyways.

semoochie
    Participant

Several years ago, the FCC started licensing them in places that didn’t have a channel 6. Time tends to get away from me. It could be as many as 20! I thought it was for higher power stations. I pulled this from the FCC Rules & Regulations:

“The frequency 87.9 MHz, Channel 200, is available only

for use of existing Class D stations required to change frequency. It is available only on a noninterference basis with respect to TV Channel 6 stations and adjacent channel noncommercial educational FM stations. It is not available at all

within 402 kilometers (250 miles) of Canada and 320 kilometers (199 miles) of Mexico. The specific standards governing its use are contained in § 73.512.” Here it is: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2009-title47-vol4/pdf/CFR-2009-title47-vol4-sec73-512.pdf

jr_tech
    Participant

semoochie
    Participant

That’s curious. Mountain View is one of the two locations where they put stations to serve commuting traffic between LA and Las Vegas.

jr_tech
    Participant

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I heard KSFH in 2010 while visiting Sunnyvale in 2010. At first, I thought I was hearing a pirate, as the use of Channel 200 (87.9 MHz) is so rare.

semoochie
    Participant

Sorry, I was thinking of “Mountain Pass”.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

FCC Proposes $10,000 Fine Against Texas LPFM For EAS Violations

The FCC has proposed a $10,000 fine against INTER-CITY CHRISTIAN YOUTH PROGRAM, INC. for Emergency Alert System violations at low power FM KCYP-LP/MISSION, TX.

The station was observed in an inspection as not having EAS equipment, and the station’s manager told the agent that the station had not been with EAS equipment since its AUGUST 2007 sign-on.

motozak3
    Participant

I heard KSFH in 2010 while visiting Sunnyvale in 2010. At first, I thought I was hearing a pirate, as the use of Channel 200 (87.9 MHz) is so rare.

Someone near me currently has their telephone line audio going out over 87.9. You can hear every single word of their conversations going out over the air, even the ringing voltage and the ICLID data bursts. I’m not sure if it’s an actual authority/surveillance wiretap or just some smartass kid who stuck a part-68 box and a transmitter on his folks’ line; if it’s the former, they’re sure being sloppy about it!

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

FCC Fines Florida Unlicensed Broadcaster

The FCC has denied NEAL DAVIS’ appeal of a $10,000 fine for operation of an unlicensed radio station on 96.1 FM in FORT LAUDERDALE. DAVIS appealed on the grounds that he is unemployed and has no income. He also claimed to be homeless, although the Commission noted that he appears to have a residential address.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

FCC Proposes $10,000 Fine Against Alleged Iowa FM Pirate

The FCC has proposed a $10,000 fine against THOMAS COSTA for operating an unlicensed transmitter on 87.9 FM in IOWA CITY, IA. The Notice alleges that COSTA rented the basement room in which the transmitter and a computer running automated programming were locked, and COSTA told them that he re-let the room to “several unnamed individuals” who paid him for the privilege; he allegedly said that the individuals did not give him their names to protect them from the FCC.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 208 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.