Faithless Electors

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    edselehr
    Participant

At least a few electors are going to rebel and vote for someone who they were not pledged to vote for.

Some will be Dems trying to lure questioning Trump electors toward an alternative Republican choice (Kasich?). Some (at least two confirmed) will be those lured Trump electors.

I admit that I think this effort will be ultimately fruitless. But it will put a dent in Trump’s win – how big a dent remains to be seen.

http://www.msnbc.com/mtp-daily/watch/lessig-electors-may-have-moral-reason-not-to-pick-trump-832198211558

Also, make note of how the Trump team is reacting, like a fearful bully. NOT the way to influence people to vote for you:

http://www.salon.com/2016/12/13/report-donald-trumps-campaign-is-threatening-political-reprisal-for-defecting-republican-electors/

EDIT ADD: Even if it gets thrown to the House, that’s fine. He needs to get off of his “landslide victory” high horse. If the popular election went against him AND the EC went against him, and the only way he could make it is in the House…that would deflate his ego nicely.

Langston
    Participant

Agreed. Although Hillary lost the race due to Russian doping, it is too late for correction by the Electoral College.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Hilary lost that race by not doing the work.

Marginalizing Trump is a good activity. Will prove largely useless as that guy basically doesn’t experience inhibition and shame like most people do.

Mandate or not, and it’s not for sure, he will just go forward anyway. Always has, which is why he’s so damn dangerous. Still, a thumb in the eye is always good. πŸ˜€

As much as I hate that which is coming, changing the result without recognizing why we have that result is going to go very badly for all of us. Civil war type bad.

I oppose it.

edselehr
    Participant

This is interesting. Very optimistic, but interesting.

edselehr
    Participant

Missing, presidential election norms are being challenged and discarded hand over fist. I therefore don’t see any problem with those concerned with Trump using whatever methods at their disposal to try and derail (or at least de-legitimize as best they can) his presidency.

We can deconstruct why Trump got elected later. Right now there is an inarguably unfit man about to ascend to the presidency. Any constitutional and legal chance at stopping that should be taken.

And it’s “inarguable” that God exists and Jesus is Lord and Savior.

So just accept it because I say it’s “inarguable.”

It’s inarguable that Trump will be a great president in spite of the sour grapes and the media effort to delegitimize him.

edselehr
    Participant

He delegitimizes himself every day. He doesn’t need my, the media’s or anyone else’s help.

Langston
    Participant

Remember when they called Obama the Antichrist?

edselehr
    Participant

Well, that’s inarguable. πŸ™‚

missing_kskd
    Participant

Missing, presidential election norms are being challenged and discarded hand over fist. I therefore don’t see any problem with those concerned with Trump using whatever methods at their disposal to try and derail (or at least de-legitimize as best they can) his presidency.

If the basis is somehow Trump isn’t Presidential material, fine. We may survive that, and I wouldn’t oppose that specific rationale. Most likely, it falls to the House then, who would probably just pick Pence.

Russians? Clinton should have won? Etc… No fucking way. To be honest, I’ve yet to see a material basis for either of those claims to warrant EC action.

Now, in addition to Trump (mad carnival barker) opposition, which I’m in full support of, I’m also about building effective opposition right now. No moves to the right, no deals, nothing.

Take it back to the people hard, and stay in it to make progress on the mid-terms.

Should Dems actually fuck that up? Grim.

edselehr
    Participant

I think it’s important to distinguish between the real disaffection that Heartland Americans are feeling in this day and age, and the appropriateness of the standard bearer they chose to express that disaffection. Their concerns and livelihood issues are real; Trump is a con may preying on their distress to further his personal ego, wealth, and moneyed elite. His basic line is, “Make me and my fellow millionaires and billionaires successful, and I’ll make America successful. Give me control of the military, and I will not shirk from using every means (including the lives of soldiers) to make sure America is secure.” Remember when he questioned why use of nuclear weapons was off the table?

The message of Trump voters is clear, but I think it’s also clear that they were duped into choosing the wrong leader of their cause. Look at how many campaign promises he has reversed himself on just in the month since the election? I’m sure that many Trump supporters are experiencing regret, or employing pretzel-twisted rationalization.

Including many Trump electors. One has resigned because of this regret, another will cast a vote for some different Republican. Trump will not have 306 electoral votes next Monday. I’m curious to see just how many less.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Casting votes for a different Republican could put Kasich into the selection pool available to the house.

edselehr
    Participant

Today’s the day. Trump will almost certainly end up in the White House when it’s all done. But I will enjoy the schadenfreude of any lost EV’s Trump experiences.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Same.

I do not believe it will do Trump any good. To him, he won, end of story. Mandate is in the win.

It may do the body politic some good though. Hope it does.

It seems there are 2 Trump defectors and 4 Clinton defectors so Trump holds onto at least 304 electoral votes.

It’s official: President Trump

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.