December 12, 2014 at 12:28 pm #4451VitalogyParticipant
Wow. This guy was ALL in.
Christian radio host John Balyo operated beneath the radar as a married family man, a wedding photographer, a volunteer with the Kent County Sheriff’s Department, camp counselor and an overseas mission volunteer with children.
Underneath the surface, the expectant father was “a wolf in sheep’s clothing” feeding a morbid and sadistic fascination with children, collecting pedophilic materials, rehearsing a sexual kidnapping fantasy with a child-sized mannequin and meeting clandestinely in hotel rooms with young boys in bondage.
The lengthy prison terms were almost a foregone conclusion. More unnerving is the depths of depravity lurking beneath the surface of a man prosecutors say had the facade of a law-abiding, charitable, upstanding citizen. According to court records:
• Balyo kept a collection of children’s obituaries and articles on the infamous BTK (Bind, Torture, Kill) serial killer.
• He kept news clippings relating to the kidnapping, death and sexual abuse of children.
• He had notebook paper that contained numerous boys’ names on it and phrases like “swimming,” “photo shoot,” “sleeping/napping,” “strapped down,” “boy/cub scout,” “headlock,” “abuse” and “swim lessons.”
• He kept photos of nude children in his storage unit, including images from a known child pornography series.
• He had a bondage kit that held rolls of duct tape, four pairs of handcuffs, parachute cord, nylon rope, 107 zip ties, a set of rubber gloves, two lengths of 18-inch chain and a padlock.
“No one ever reported any misgivings or indiscretions about Balyo. But he was a wolf in sheep’s clothing,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Tessa K. Hessmiller wrote in a sentencing memorandum.
“On the outside, he was a law-abiding, charitable, upstanding citizen. He was able to gain people’s trust, leading no one to suspect anything was amiss,” Hessmiller wrote.
“But underneath the surface, he was feeding a morbid and sadistic fascination with children, creating and accumulating pedophilic materials, rehearsing a sexual kidnapping fantasy with a gun and a child-sized mannequin and meeting clandestinely in hotel rooms with young boys in bondage. Balyo’s three meetings with (victim 1) resulted in sexual exploitation and degradation of a child in the most depraved ways.”
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.