Evil in Salem

This topic contains 16 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Amus 1 year ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Amus
    Participant

Here is a tweet from Alex Jones of Info Wars.
    Roger Stone is in town to attend the Republican Dorchester conference being held in Salem

They are at Bentley’s Grill adjacent to the Conference Center.

Note that he and his companions are flashing the White Power hand gesture.

These are Nazi’s folks. Real live fucking Nazis.
    And they are having their little white power dinner less than six miles from my house.

My parent’s generation spent untold lives and treasure to eradicate Nazis on another continent, before they could spread here.

Now they have a champion in the white house.

Whether you voted for him or not, if you still support him, you support this.

No excuses.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

It’s Salem. What do you expect?

When/where I was growing up that was the “OK” gesture. Turn it horizontally and you’re calling somebody an asshole in sign language. If you’re bakerXderek, they’re making the “CHEAH!!!” gesture.

But white power? WTF? Is that some bizarre contemporary Oregon interpretation or something?

Amus
    Participant

Are you naive, or been living under a rock?

paulwalker
    Participant

Sorry, don’t see anything but “OK” signs here, which certainly are not unusual in a setting where alcohol is available. Am I missing something?

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Yeah, must either be extremely recent or a strictly local thing in Salem. The idea that the OK gesture means “white power” is news to me.

Kind of seems like somebody’s trolling.

EDIT: Troll bait. It’s phony.

In February of 2017, users on the anonymous imageboard /pol/ of 4Chan set out on a prank to convince mainstream media outlets that the OK hand gesture had been hijacked for use by white supremacists to signal one another publicly[6]. The pranksters claimed that the three upward fingers of the OK hand sign represented the letter “W” while the circle formed by joining of the index finger to the thumb leading down the arm represented the letter “P”. The acronym formed by “W” and “P” was asserted to be shorthand for “White Power.” The original thread produced infographics explaining this usage concisely, which were subsequently spread to many different media outlets according to the ADL. The hoax began to gain traction when media outlets began reporting on the usage of the OK gesture as if it were, in fact, being used as a white supremacist hand gesture[7]. Most of these media outlets have since recanted their statements, citing the official response from the ADL. The ADL has confirmed that the OK gesture is not a white supremacist hand sign[8]. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OK_sign)

semoochie
    Participant

If anyone else was wondering, the ADL is the Anti-Defamation League. I’ve never heard the initials before.

Broadway
    Participant

cbaravelli
    Spectator

As racist as milk.
    Flashing the American ‘OK’ sign along most parts of the Mare Mediterranea may result in the flasher becoming a castrati.

skeptical
    Participant

In sign language, it is the letter “f”. So, whether it is true or a hoax, they’re giving you the fuck-all!

Lol.

Amus
    Participant

I maintain that, even if it began as a hoax, it is being actively used as such.

If it turns out I was wrong, I will freely admit it.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I recall from when I was about 5, that my dad taught me that the gesture shown in the photo, with the hand moving back and forth means, “everything’s great!” However, that was in a Latin American context. In some other cultures, the same gesture is considered obscene because it is reminiscent of a certain ladies’ anatomical feature.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

“If it turns out I was wrong, I will freely admit it.” – Amus
    One way to find out. Take the skinheads bowling.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

In sign language, it is the letter “f”. So, whether it is true or a hoax, they’re giving you the fuck-all!

Uh…. sort of. Actually in sign language the middle-finger point means “fuck you”. Trust me. The signed letter “F” just means what comes between “E” and “G”. Something kind of resembling the “OK” gesture does mean “asshole” but it’s signed differently. It’s held horizontally and the palm faces towards the issuer. (Source: I’ve had a deaf best friend since, like, fourth grade. Two tris of sign language class in high school also helped. The seedy underworld of academia.)

Flashing the American ‘OK’ sign along most parts of the Mare Mediterranea may result in the flasher becoming a castrati.

Now if you go to England and decide to flash the peace sign, you’d better mind which direction your palm is facing!

Amus
    Participant

Take the skinheads bowling
    Take them bowling
    Take the skinheads bowling
    Take them bowling

Amus
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.